Suggestions COURSE or SELF PREP for dec exam...LR problems

lolol10

Suggestions COURSE or SELF PREP for dec exam...LR problems

Postby lolol10 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:23 pm

hey guys,
so in looking over my test its plain to see LR bent me over. prior to the test i read most of the ps LR bible and was -6, -7 (not great) on most LR practice sets. to say the least i basically bombed them on the test however. i am close to perfect on LG and RC but its LR i cant seem to grasp. my dad is willing to pay for and wants me to take a course to, what he thinks, will get me in the 170s. should i go for the course or just self study? i dont want to waste my time and his money. what about finding a tutor? i feel this would be more beneficial to me as its just LR that is really bringing me down. do you know of any lsat prep co.'s that offer tutors? anyone wanna make some cash?

lolol10

Re: Suggestions COURSE or SELF PREP for dec exam...LR problems

Postby lolol10 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:35 pm

bumpp

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:43 pm

LR bible is good but you need to have a ton of actual lsat questions to really drive home the methods. One good thing about a course is that you will get plenty of practice questions (probably more than you can even do in such a short time). Alternately, you can just get a ton of prep-tests and approach it in that way, which might be a better approach given the shorter time frame. My only thought on a course is that I believe most of them have already started, you might have to try and jump into one already in progress. Do you know anyone who has previously taken a course and can lend or sell you their materials? I thought the biggest help from taking a course was the self-study of homework, not anything I actually learned in the classroom.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:03 pm

One thing about LR is that if you just keep drilling it over and over, doing every section from every PT from 7 up, the section starts becoming numbingly easy. Having seen the same stim and question pattern over and over again the right answers just sort of pop out and you don't even have to "reason" your way to the right answer because the sheer repetition just makes it instinctive. The only thing stopping a perfect score on those is the few "hardest" ones where the choices are so vague and similar.

I would just stick with self prep and get ahold of as many PTs as possible. Then again, I have never taken a course either.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:15 pm

so in your experience you think its possible to increase my LR accuracy and efficiency to near perfect by dec? i am taking two classes in my final semester so i have a considerable amount of time that i can devote to this, which i am and will be. i just want to have the satisfaction of knowing i took the best course of action gave it my all so i have no regret over my score not being where i want it.

i have 10 actual and 10 more pts but you are saying buy all the actual from 7 on?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:43 pm

How about neither?

Get a private tutor. Also, I'd strongly recommend you finish the LRB and try another guide like Atlas LR.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:44 pm

fosterp wrote:One thing about LR is that if you just keep drilling it over and over, doing every section from every PT from 7 up, the section starts becoming numbingly easy. Having seen the same stim and question pattern over and over again the right answers just sort of pop out and you don't even have to "reason" your way to the right answer because the sheer repetition just makes it instinctive. The only thing stopping a perfect score on those is the few "hardest" ones where the choices are so vague and similar.

I would just stick with self prep and get ahold of as many PTs as possible. Then again, I have never taken a course either.

I would disagree, the sections become numbingly easy for about 21 of the problems. There are always 4-5 that make or break your score each section. Overall, I'd say its the hardest section to go -0 on. I can -0 RC and LG , but LR seems to be the outlier more often.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:43 am

typ3 wrote:How about neither?

Get a private tutor. Also, I'd strongly recommend you finish the LRB and try another guide like Atlas LR.

i think this is what im going to do at a minimum. thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”