Fly 5,000 miles or take another undisclosed test?

niederbomb

Fly 5,000 miles or take another undisclosed test?

Postby niederbomb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 pm

I need to retake the LSAT in December. The one I took in October was undisclosed.

The closest U.S. location to do this is Hawaii, yet I'm not sure how far in advance I'd to travel there for jet lag to wear off or even if I'd be able to get the time off. Overall, I'm not looking forward to this. It might screw up my sleep schedule for days. I know when I first traveled from Germany to Korea when I was in the U.S. Army, I couldn't sleep normally for about a week.

The other option is only four hours away, but it's undisclosed.

After having taken dozens of PT's, does actually seeing where you went wrong one more time help?

I think, the first time, a combination of nerves and no sleep for the two nights prior killed me on an easy LG section. Not sure whether or not seeing where my nerves made me pick stupid answers will help my December prep. Or will it?

But if it's really significantly more helpful to take a disclosed test, then I will find a way to make it work.
Last edited by niederbomb on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Fly 5,000 miles or take another undisclosed test

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Taking a disclosed test won't help you do better on that test. If you do much worse than your PT (which are taking under strict timing) then you are choking. Knowing where you choked doesn't help you at all.

Coffee is for closers.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Disclosure only matters if you think you might retake it *again*. Does not matter enough to fly to Hawaii. Unless you make a trip out of it.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:31 pm

I think traveling immediately before the LSAT is a really bad idea.

That said, I also think it helps to know where you messed up. If you think you might have to take it a third time, taking two undisclosed tests is not advisable.

This is probably the least helpful comment ever.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Taking a disclosed test won't help you do better on that test. If you do much worse than your PT (which are taking under strict timing) then you are choking. Knowing where you choked doesn't help you at all.

Coffee is for closers.

Actually, I was doing 30-minute PT's on LR and RC, had to stick with 35 on LG, but I ran out of time on RC and 1 LR and way out of time on LG on the actual thing...Crazy.

I am not taking it a third time.

But if LSAT really screws up the marking as much as I've heard they do, it might be useful to see if a low score is my fault or theirs. Or does a hand score always solve these problems?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm

niederbomb wrote:

Coffee is for closers.

Actually, I was doing 30-minute PT's on LR and RC, had to stick with 35 on LG, but I ran out of time on RC and 1 LR and way out of time on LG on the actual thing...Crazy.

I am not taking it a third time.

But if LSAT really screws up the marking as much as I've heard they do, it might be useful to see if a low score is my fault or theirs. Or does a hand score always solve these problems?

I really don't think LSAC screws up the marking very much. The machines they use are very sensitive. I did a whole lot of sloppy erasing on my test, and the machine scored it just fine.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”