Best way to improve on LG for a retake??

carpquiet

Best way to improve on LG for a retake??

Postby carpquiet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 am

Hey TLS,

So I took the LSAT on Oct 9 and got a 167, which is a score that I am pretty happy about. However, I'm a TX resident and a splitter (3.3) and having a good shot at UT or the T-14 probably requires at least a good 4-5 extra points on the LSAT. I ranged about 166-172 on my PTs. So here are my questions...

1) Does it make sense to retake? My score breakdown was -6 on LR, -2 on CR, and -8 on LG. I just never really got very good at LG and definitely didn't get good enough to do well under pressure. I'm not playing with fire too much, am I? I'm pretty confident I can improve on these screwy little games.

2) If is does make sense, how is it best to study for a Dec. retake? Just keep games over and over combined with a few PTs? Is Atlas Prep worthwhile, or should I just re-do the LG Bible more slowly combined with re-doing logic games over and over? Anyone in my situation before have a good plan?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and good luck on apps everyone.

whymeohgodno

Re: Best way to improve on LG for a retake??

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:32 am

Retake.

Drill games. Don't do anything else. Just do games and games and games non stop back to back till you overdose on it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:30 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Retake.

Drill games. Don't do anything else. Just do games and games and games non stop back to back till you overdose on it.

Don't outright neglect RC and LR. If you don't practice your strengths, they can easily become your weaknesses.

But definitely focus primarily on games.

Agitprop

Postby Agitprop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:44 pm

I second this. I am like you, OP, except my GPA is higher and I TOTALLY CHOKED on LG and came out with a 158. Freaking -16 on LG.. could not believe it. I am aiming for UT as well, and I would have loved to get your score. Anyway, I have been taking the advice out of Pithypike's study guide and the advice of the excellent test takers on this forum and doing logic games over and over again. Don't just do them once.. do each game like three times. It has started to help me. LG is always my weakest spot, and I always felt like it was hit or miss with LG.. if the games were right, I kicked ass.. but if the games were not right, I panicked and freaked out. Now I want to do so many logic games that I will start to DREAM logic games. I crave revenge.

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:49 pm

I read somewhere that Penny Press and Dell Logic puzzles can be really helpful. Anyone tried this? I'm going to focus on the PowerScore book and actual LSAT games, but I'm looking to fill every waking moment of my life with something that will help me improve my score. I thought these might be a good way to introduce some variety to spice up my LSAT training.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Nothing happened here... move on

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Dont bother retaking. Your score isnt that bad.

You have issues in places other than LG and you dont want to risk doing worse on those during a retake.

Leave things as is.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:52 pm

4for44 wrote:Nothing happened here... move on

LMAO... this might have been one of the funniest images before you removed it on the internet.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Love the 'tar.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:55 pm

JazzOne wrote:

Love the 'tar.

Really? I hate it. Its annoying. Its streched out and the girl looks like a robot.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:56 pm

TITCR

I'm almost positive I got all the question I did get wrong in february wrong on the games
and I'm almost positive I didn't get a single one wrong in october.
difference?
I did almost exclusively LG from August to December. Bought all the books LG bible princeton kaplan everything. helped a lot. now i think they're all absurdly easy and finish with at least 5 minutes left every time. In october I had 10 minutes left.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:57 pm

gdane5 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Love the 'tar.

Really? I hate it. Its annoying. Its streched out and the girl looks like a robot.

lol
I just have a thing for thin chics, particularly Asians.
Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:57 pm

JazzOne wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Love the 'tar.

I just have a thing for thin asian chics.

Fixed.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:58 pm

KevinP wrote:Fixed.

+1

I edited before I saw your post. Good call.

fjsms

Postby fjsms » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm

OP, I'm in a really similar spot. LGs have always been my weakest (but somehow still favorite) section, mostly due to time. I spent a ton of time doing and redoing game after game in preparation for Oct, got so my timing was good and I was getting most questions right... and then bombed the real thing.

I think where I went wrong during practice was that instead of really understanding games, including inferences, different ways of setup, etc, I was just concerned about getting through as many as possible as quickly as possible. I've decided my approach to studying for my Dec retake will be to really focus on gaining a deep (vs. broad) understanding of the games, and do some secondary "maintenance work" on LR and RC.

I found this really helpful as I thought through my approach: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/studying-for-the-lsat/answering-how-to-restudy-for-a-retake/

hope that helps!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”