Is it possible to significantly improve on LR in a month?

vodkashot

Is it possible to significantly improve on LR in a month?

Postby vodkashot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 pm

Hello, I've lurked for awhile here and finally decided to get an account.

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've registered for the December LSAT, done a few timed PTs and have hit the mid-to-high 160s. However, I have a decent GPA (high 3.8, will very probably be a 3.9 by the end of the semester) with good softs, and thus have been fostering delusions of applying to HYS. Of course, this means that I need to hit the 170s.

I have a month to go, and my weakest section seems to be LR--I'm averaging about -4 per section, which isn't very good. I've worked through the LRB and have diligently written out in full sentences why I've gotten wrong answers wrong and am reviewing my answers, but I seem to have reached some sort of plateau, especially with the stress of schoolwork piling up. Would it be possible to dramatically improve my LR to about -1 or -2 per section in a month? Does anyone have any tips for how? I've examined the types of questions I tend to get wrong, but there seems to be no discernable pattern....

Or should I not risk it and re-schedule to Feb. or June, since people tell me that HYS really look down on re-takes (I'm in my senior year, but am planning to take a gap year abroad, so I want to get my LSAT over with this school year).

Thanks!

Lonagan

Re: Is it possible to significantly improve on LR in a month?

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Why December and not a spring test?

cornell

Postby cornell » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:47 pm

vodkashot wrote:Hello, I've lurked for awhile here and finally decided to get an account.

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've registered for the December LSAT, done a few timed PTs and have hit the mid-to-high 160s. However, I have a decent GPA (high 3.8, will very probably be a 3.9 by the end of the semester) with good softs, and thus have been fostering delusions of applying to HYS. Of course, this means that I need to hit the 170s.

I have a month to go, and my weakest section seems to be LR--I'm averaging about -4 per section, which isn't very good. I've worked through the LRB and have diligently written out in full sentences why I've gotten wrong answers wrong and am reviewing my answers, but I seem to have reached some sort of plateau, especially with the stress of schoolwork piling up. Would it be possible to dramatically improve my LR to about -1 or -2 per section in a month? Does anyone have any tips for how? I've examined the types of questions I tend to get wrong, but there seems to be no discernable pattern....

Or should I not risk it and re-schedule to Feb. or June, since people tell me that HYS really look down on re-takes (I'm in my senior year, but am planning to take a gap year abroad, so I want to get my LSAT over with this school year).

Thanks!

One thing I did towards the end of my prep was writing out the LRs I missed, the question, stem and all the answer choices. I know this sounds tedious, but somehow it helped me a lot, I became better in terms of picking up important words and shifts b/w sentences. Try it if you like.

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Lonagan wrote:Why December and not a spring test?

Feb. is out of the question for me because of extracurricular commitments, and June is mostly a personal preference thing--I have other plans for May/June (which are cancellable in case I bomb in December, I suppose) and I guess I sort of have this irrational fear that I'll run out of PTs and study materials by June, as I've been prepping since September.

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 pm

cornell wrote:
vodkashot wrote:Hello, I've lurked for awhile here and finally decided to get an account.

Thanks!

One thing I did towards the end of my prep was writing out the LRs I missed, the question, stem and all the answer choices. I know this sounds tedious, but somehow it helped me a lot, I became better in terms of picking up important words and shifts b/w sentences. Try it if you like.

Hmm, you mean copy out the LRs verbatim? I'll give it a try, I'm sort of desperate at this point. Thanks!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 pm

LR can be nasty at times. I found it very easy to get to -4, harder to get -3, harder yet to get -2, getting to -1/-0 took almost as long as it took me to get to -2.

cornell

Postby cornell » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 pm

vodkashot wrote:
cornell wrote:

Thanks!

Hmm, you mean copy out the LRs verbatim? I'll give it a try, I'm sort of desperate at this point. Thanks!

yes, copy the LRs verbatim, but only the ones you got wrong, DO NOT do this for the ones you got right, that'll be a crazy waste of time.
Last edited by cornell on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 pm

vodkashot wrote:
cornell wrote:

Thanks!

You also might want to try manhattan LSAT, that helped me on LR. After LRB I was about in the same position as you, but after atlas + a little practicing I am consistently a -1/0. And yes copy out the questions verbatim and every answer choice.

I prefer to cut my questions out and tape them on a new piece of paper so I can write out explanations for why they are wrong. And then I keep them and review them in a folder randomly during the week.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:13 am

On practice drills I write out my entire thinking process (basically think on paper) from start to finish in a visual, flowcharty manner (lots of arrows and such) and that seems to work....on the 12 questions I only wrote out partially I got -5/12 and on the 10 I wrote out completely I got a -1/10. The latter takes more time but fwiw it was a drill so I consider it more important to get the technique down. I have no intention of doing this on the real thing, just want to make sure I'm in the right frame of mind.

Anyway isn't 170 possible with a -6 on LR? -6 LR/-5 RC/perfect LG is -11, which seems to be the threshold that would guarantee a 7 in the tens place.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:25 am

Also interested to know....I'll start preparing for December LSAT in a week's time, LR is the most important section for me for securing a desirable score, I was PT-ing at around -6 per section but I'd want to see -3/-4.

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:15 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:On practice drills I write out my entire thinking process (basically think on paper) from start to finish in a visual, flowcharty manner (lots of arrows and such) and that seems to work....on the 12 questions I only wrote out partially I got -5/12 and on the 10 I wrote out completely I got a -1/10. The latter takes more time but fwiw it was a drill so I consider it more important to get the technique down. I have no intention of doing this on the real thing, just want to make sure I'm in the right frame of mind.

Anyway isn't 170 possible with a -6 on LR? -6 LR/-5 RC/perfect LG is -11, which seems to be the threshold that would guarantee a 7 in the tens place.

Well, yes, 170 is possible with a -6 on LR, but I want to do better than that in my practices since, based on all the despair we've seen lately, people tend to score lower on the real thing.

But thanks for your advice, I'll also try to examine my entire thinking process.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”