Retake question

originalmutt

Retake question

Postby originalmutt » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:43 pm

I scored a 164 on the October 2010 LSAT. I studied for about three months, took a live weekend course and probably took about 25-30 practice tests. My PT scores ranged between 165-168. My all-time high was 170. I typically studied about two hours a day.

Given how much prep I put into this, is it worth retaking in December? I somehow missed 6 questions in the logic games when I normally only miss between 2-4, and sometimes none at all. That was offset, however, by a stronger than usual performance on reading comprehension.

I feel like I hit a wall around the third section. Mental fatigue definitely kicked in and it was not something I was prepared for. Given that I now have some experience with it (and would take more practice tests in the morning to prep for it), I feel like I might do better. At the same time, my score is not off from my typical range, so it would seem like wasted time and money. Any thoughts? It seems like I have just a good a chance of getting the same score, and if I do improve it might be by only three points.

Sandro

Re: Retake question

Postby Sandro » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:47 pm

originalmutt wrote:I scored a 164 on the October 2010 LSAT. I studied for about three months, took a live weekend course and probably took about 25-30 practice tests. My PT scores ranged between 165-168. My all-time high was 170. I typically studied about two hours a day.

Given how much prep I put into this, is it worth retaking in December? I somehow missed 6 questions in the logic games when I normally only miss between 2-4, and sometimes none at all. That was offset, however, by a stronger than usual performance on reading comprehension.

I feel like I hit a wall around the third section. Mental fatigue definitely kicked in and it was not something I was prepared for. Given that I now have some experience with it (and would take more practice tests in the morning to prep for it), I feel like I might do better. At the same time, my score is not off from my typical range, so it would seem like wasted time and money. Any thoughts? It seems like I have just a good a chance of getting the same score, and if I do improve it might be by only three points.

I got a 164 after getting the same PTs as you. I did well for me too in RC but missed an insane number for LR and LG (-17 combined) Missing the first question on LR1 i feel is just an indicator I wasnt on my game after a huge ordeal and no sleep the night before my test.

I think it comes down to risk reward for retaking it. Risk is you wont be complete until Jan1ish and could possibly do worse or the same. Reward is a higher score and better schools.

Right now I'm trying to do some research into how much actually applying Jan1 will hurt me compared with applying now and taking in Feb.

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:28 am

Screw it, I'm retaking. Hopefully with a solid eight hours of sleep the night before I won't run into a wall like I did last time.

The question becomes whether I go ahead and apply with an addendum that I'm taking the December test, or just wait until January. Looks like a lot of other folks here have that some question.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:26 am

originalmutt wrote:Screw it, I'm retaking. Hopefully with a solid eight hours of sleep the night before I won't run into a wall like I did last time.

The question becomes whether I go ahead and apply with an addendum that I'm taking the December test, or just wait until January. Looks like a lot of other folks here have that some question.

You don't need to explain to the schools that you're retaking. Many of the forms ask you to indicate any future LSAT dates, and I'm sure that your LSAC account will let them know that you have a future test coming.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”