Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby ryegye87 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 pm

So I've thought about this extensively and can't figure out whether or not I should retake and do the December LSAT. Thus, I'm looking from some sound advice from the TLS family. I took the October LSAT, received a 167, which I'm happy with because it was exactly what I was PT'ing at before I took the test. However, I also self studied and basically was cramming my final lessons of my books for the final two weeks before the test. On average, I was completing about a lesson a day right up to the day before the test. My point being, I really think if I take some time to not just learn material, but to practice and apply the principles I learned over an extended period of time, I imaginably could raise my score to around a 172/3.

My concern is, by retaking in Dec and making my schools wait until January to receive my score, will it even make that much of a difference? Given that most incoming classes will be filled up by then, is a 172/3 in mid-January nearly the same as a 167 in November? At the same time, this is also assuming that I will perform better on the test by practicing extensively over the next month. Hypothetically, I could get another 167 in January, thus greatly decreasing my chances at my goal schools because of the delayed process of review.

Also, my top choice is Michigan, and I had planned on applying early decision to them. I went there for undergrad and am also an in state resident. Can I still apply early decision and plan for a retake? I'm not sure how that process works.

The other top schools on my list are UCLA, USC, Berkley, Boston U and College, Notre Dame, and Cornell.

So, what should I do? Will the schools I'm applying to review my current application and if I'm in, I'm in, and if they need a higher LSAT, wait for the retake? Or is it black and white, and they can either review the app now or just hold off, one or the other?

On top of that, should I retake in the first place? Or is a slight boost not worth it? My apologies if this is a poorly composed rant of my various worries; long time reader, first time poster.
Last edited by ryegye87 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:47 pm

ryegye87 wrote:So I've thought about this extensively and can't figure out whether or not I should retake the December LSAT. Thus, I'm looking from some sound advice from the TLS family. I took the October LSAT, received a 167, which I'm happy with because it was exactly what I was PT'ing at before I took the test. However, I also self studied and basically was cramming my final lessons of my books for the final two weeks before the test. On average, I was completing about a lesson a day right up to the day before the test. My point being, I really think if I take some time to not just learn material, but to practice and apply the principles I learned over an extended period of time, I imaginably could raise my score to around a 172/3.

My concern is, by retaking in Dec and making my schools wait until January to receive my score, will it even make that much of a difference? Given that most incoming classes will be filled up by then, is a 172/3 in mid-January nearly the same as a 167 in November? At the same time, this is also assuming that I will perform better on the test by practicing extensively over the next month. Hypothetically, I could get another 167 in January, thus greatly decreasing my chances at my goal schools because of the delayed process of review.

Also, my top choice is Michigan, and I had planned on applying early decision to them. I went there for undergrad and am also an in state resident. Can I still apply early decision and plan for a retake? I'm not sure how that process works.

The other top schools on my list are UCLA, USC, Berkley, Boston U and College, Notre Dame, and Cornell.

So, what should I do? Will the schools I'm applying to review my current application and if I'm in, I'm in, and if they need a higher LSAT, wait for the retake? Or is it black and white, and they can either review the app now or just hold off, one or the other?

On top of that, should I retake in the first place? Or is a slight boost not worth it? My apologies if this is a poorly composed rant of my various worries; long time reader, first time poster.



call them and ask but I'm pretty sure that your Dec. test would only help if you got deferred to regular decision. I think they require the Oct. LSAT or before for ED.
With a 3.0 and 167 right now and non URM you're really not in a super great place for Mich so that's the toughy. Even ED you may not get in, but if you wait and don't break 170... really ideally 173+, then you would probably have been better off applying ED
It's up to you. You need to decide what score you're capable of getting in December. If you think 173+ is definitely a possibility, then you should wait.

ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby ryegye87 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. One caveat though, I never said I had a 3.0. I don't have my GPA calculated yet, but I think it will be somewhere around a 3.56, possibly higher (quite a few A+'s). Not sure if that changes your opinion or not.

Also, when it comes to the rest of my application, I have some great references and experience working in a well respected law office.

ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby ryegye87 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 pm

Anyone else?? Bueller?

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Retake and reapply early next cycle.

ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby ryegye87 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks for the reply. The problem with that is, I'm already taking a gap year right now. I'd really prefer not to stretch it out to two. Also, it doesn't seem to me that would make a lot of sense. Wouldn't it just be better to apply now and then if I don't get into any school I want, re-take in June and apply next cycle? Either way... another year off is one of the very, very last things I would like to consider in this situation.

The way I see it, I have three options.

1. Don't retake and apply with what I have.

2. Send in applications now, retake in December and hopefully average out a better score.

3. Send in applications now, retake in February (good/bad idea?)

ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby ryegye87 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Shameless *Bump* for lack of responses.....

User avatar
gmenfan
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby gmenfan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as you (slightly higher LSAT, lower GPA) with a gap year. I'm not attached to any school, but I definitely plan on enrolling next summer. From my understanding, schools will put your application on hold if they see that you're registered for the December test (even if you don't state this). Your stats are in line with Michigan's (Go Blue!) averages, so I guess it depends on how much faith you have in your PS/recs/softs vs. your potential to do well in Dec. If you're confident about a 172+, I personally think you'll have a higher chance of getting in later in January with that than with what you have now (based on what little knowledge I have of early decisions and because that 172 would definitely boost their mean).

PS I am retaking (*crosses fingers).

yoyowhatupyo
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Racked my brain, need advice on retaking

Postby yoyowhatupyo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

i'm kind of in the same position. i got a 163 in Oct, on ~2-3 hours of sleep the night before. I think I can do a 169 in Dec. I guess I'll apply now, and make sure to include my pending test date on the common app. Some schools (or at least Boalt) specifically say they will hold your app until the pending scores are in, unless you direct them otherwise. If a school does not mention that on their instructions/application form, I will call/email them about their policy and ask them to hold my app til the new score is in, if possible.

I wont get in to top schools with a 163 (3.63 uga), and i probably wont attract scholarship offers at lower ranking school either. How will getting Dec10 results affect scholarship money and admission decisions? well, I'm sure it wouldve been better to get a 169 the first go-around.

I'm going to a law school fair next weekend and will ask around, too.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, CHyde, Greenteachurro, Instrumental, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests