Beta blockers, test anxiety drug without tiredness

wildcatmccane

Beta blockers, test anxiety drug without tiredness

Postby wildcatmccane » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Hello,
I have been read a lot of google searches about test anxiety but it seems limited to mostly 'calm yourself, meditate' and 'prepare for the test.' Well did that. Frankly I got too excited on the October test.

Now I am going to make an appointment with my Dr. but I wanted to know before hand if anyone has experience or knowledge about drugs for test anxiety. Most seem to cause tiredness which could be just as bad as anxiety. I don't want to try it out before the test and end up wasting study time dooped up on stuff that really wasn't a good fit to begin with the LSAT situation.

Are beta blockers a good place to ask for a normal person who just gets too excitedfor the LSAT? Last thing I want to do is get a prescription and have side effects that outway any benefit.

Thanks!

mtrl

Re: Beta blockers, test anxiety drug without tiredness

Postby mtrl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:47 pm

If you decide to use them, you should definitely try it out before the test. It is your brain that is doing the test. Your brain works using neurotransmitters, whose function is altered by beta blockers. Altering the function of your brain using beta blockers for the first time on the day of the test without knowing what is going to happen is a bad idea.

wildcatmccane

Postby wildcatmccane » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:57 pm

Defiantly would test before, that is why I am asking now :)

Is there a specific drug for anxiety on tests that doesn't have consequences that would also cause bad testing?

I don't even want to try something that is known to cause tiredness for example. Just as dangerous as the anxiety.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:08 pm

I took betablockers for the October administration and it worked fine. I had bombed June and Feb because I had intense anxiety during the LG sections. This time around, I didn't get stressed, finished LG with a -1.

I recommend you meet with your doctor to discuss it. I really don't think betablockers will make you more tired during the test; the fact that this test is 4 hours long will make you tired during the test.

hwaggone

Postby hwaggone » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:19 am

It shouldnt make you more tired really. Since the beta receptors are in your sympathetic nervous system( fight or flight more or less) It will just stop norepineprhine and epinephrine (few others) from binding and causing your anxiety problems. From the physiology part of it should not make you that much tired, you just wont have the effects of adrenaline pumping through your veins.
First time I have gotten to use my bio major on this sight :D

sylvanus00

Postby sylvanus00 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:34 am

I was in a similar boat as SortofObsessed and was extremely successful in October with beta blockers. I tested them before and noticed no adverse side effects of any kind. An extremely low dose is sufficient (10 mg. propanalol) for heading off test anxiety.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 am

I hated it when I used to mention test anxiety and I would always hear, "Dude, you need to get laid more." As a spindly 19-year-old who looked 12, it wasn't going to happen back then.

Now, I am 24, cute, live in a part of China where some girls have never seen a white person, and get laid plenty, and my test anxiety is just as bad as it used to be. Obviously, the "All American" solution to anxiety problems does not work.

Any brand name suggestions I can ask for at the local drug store?

Otherwise, I'm just going to ask them for β-受体阻滞剂 and try out whatever I get.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”