Transcription errors: hopeless?

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby apparentlynew » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 am

Hi Everyone,

I got a 173; going over my answer sheet this morning, I realized that I made several consecutive transcription errors in my sect 4. I left 8 blank, which I have no memory of doing, and I then got questions 9, 10, and 11 wrong. However, the answer I chose for Q9 was correct for Q8, the answer I chose for q10 would have been wrong for Q9, but the answers I chose for Q11 and Q12 were right for Q10 and Q11. Basically, I screwed up bubbling and cost myself 3 out of 4 questions. I do not mean to be ungrateful for my 173 but I am still a bit upset. I also suspect I can't do anything about this, since it is an entirely self-serving (though true) interpretation of my bubble sheet and I have no proof. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of situations like this, and if the LSAC is worth contacting to attempt to get additional score credit? I realize I am a dumbass and that they have every reason to be skeptical, but I am happy to try as long as no one thinks this could in anyone upset them or lead to penalties. Please help, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance!

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby invisiblesun » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:05 am

apparentlynew wrote:Hi Everyone,

I got a 173; going over my answer sheet this morning, I realized that I made several consecutive transcription errors in my sect 4. I left 8 blank, which I have no memory of doing, and I then got questions 9, 10, and 11 wrong. However, the answer I chose for Q9 was correct for Q8, the answer I chose for q10 would have been wrong for Q9, but the answers I chose for Q11 and Q12 were right for Q10 and Q11. Basically, I screwed up bubbling and cost myself 3 out of 4 questions. I do not mean to be ungrateful for my 173 but I am still a bit upset. I also suspect I can't do anything about this, since it is an entirely self-serving (though true) interpretation of my bubble sheet and I have no proof. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of situations like this, and if the LSAC is worth contacting to attempt to get additional score credit? I realize I am a dumbass and that they have every reason to be skeptical, but I am happy to try as long as no one thinks this could in anyone upset them or lead to penalties. Please help, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance!


LSAC certainly will not change your score to compensate for your bubbling error. You can call, but you'll be wasting your time.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:09 am

Would it make you happy? If the answer is yes, no, LSAC will not do it. Will it make you cry and ruin your life? LSAC will consider it.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby albanach » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:16 am

IAFG wrote:Would it make you happy? If the answer is yes, no, LSAC will not do it. Will it make you cry and ruin your life? LSAC will consider it.


Why on earth are you so bitter? Did another kid steal your ball?

I've seen at least one person in the past report misbubbling being corrected. What the heck, it can't hurt and given how much law school costs, what's a few tens of dollars to ask.

They have your answer book, so they can see if you marked correct answers and transcribed them incorrectly. Worst thing that can happen is they take your cash and nothing changes.

fosterp
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09 am

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby fosterp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:38 pm

They will not fix that.

I could easily cheat the test knowing they would do something like that, which is why they wont.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 pm

4 questions isn't enough for a trend. The few that I have seen who claim that they got their score changed like misbubbled #8 and got #9-25 wrong, bubbled #26 when there was no #26, and would have gotten #9-25 right if everything was shifted up one.

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby MysticalWheel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:34 pm

2014 wrote:4 questions isn't enough for a trend. The few that I have seen who claim that they got their score changed like misbubbled #8 and got #9-25 wrong, bubbled #26 when there was no #26, and would have gotten #9-25 right if everything was shifted up one.

+1.

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby apparentlynew » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Well, I screwed up 8 through 17; the thing is, I fixed 12 through 17 because I noticed my misbubbling on them. However, I did not go far enough back in fixing things. 12-17 were the third game, 8-11 were the second game. I thought I had only misbubbled the third game. My erasures in 12-17 are visible on my scantron, which bolsters my case. Has anyone had any experience with a case like this?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 pm

apparentlynew wrote:Well, I screwed up 8 through 17; the thing is, I fixed 12 through 17 because I noticed my misbubbling on them. However, I did not go far enough back in fixing things. 12-17 were the third game, 8-11 were the second game. I thought I had only misbubbled the third game. My erasures in 12-17 are visible on my scantron, which bolsters my case. Has anyone had any experience with a case like this?


It's not going to happen. Bubbling correctly is part of the test. Sorry.

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby apparentlynew » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:52 pm

I am curious about anecdotal evidence as well as data (I doubt anyone has data), but "It's not going to happen" is a completely unsupported assertion. I would appreciate it if you could expand on that. Have you or a person you know tried to appeal a case like mine and failed? I am skeptical that LSAC will care, and I did not need to post on TLS to find out that other people, like me, are skeptical despite lacking empirical knowledge of this specific issue. I posted on TLS to hear specific experiences with LSAC and misbubbling in particular cited.

Please refrain from posting things along the lines of "Sorry, you're screwed," as I already grasp the difficulty of appealing this issue, and what I am looking for is specific experiences or data regarding this kind of issue.

Thank you for the responses so far, everyone!

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby tomwatts » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm

I don't think anyone else's experiences are really a guide in this case. Contact LSAC and tell them what you told us. If you're honest, clear, and direct, they may say yes. They may also say no. Whether saying "yes" or "no" is in keeping with their normal procedures in these sorts of circumstances doesn't really matter until you get back an initial "yes" or "no." If they say "no," but you really want to appeal that "no," it might be useful to know how people have done so and been successful in the past, but until then, it doesn't matter.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:35 pm

What is your GPA and your URM status? Is the difference bwteen a 175 and a 173 of major importance to your application? If not, no reason to trouble yourself.

By the way, if you say that your GPA is a 3.9 and you are a URM I will probably facepalm myself for wasting time bothering to read this stupid thread.

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby apparentlynew » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:13 pm

GPA 3.86, I am a nonURM and I'm applying to HLS so the three points (not two) could be significant. It could also help with money at Georgetown, UVA, and so on.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Transcription errors: hopeless?

Postby nStiver » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 pm

albanach wrote:
IAFG wrote:Would it make you happy? If the answer is yes, no, LSAC will not do it. Will it make you cry and ruin your life? LSAC will consider it.


Why on earth are you so bitter? Did another kid steal your ball?

I've seen at least one person in the past report misbubbling being corrected. What the heck, it can't hurt and given how much law school costs, what's a few tens of dollars to ask.

They have your answer book, so they can see if you marked correct answers and transcribed them incorrectly. Worst thing that can happen is they take your cash and nothing changes.


There are a lot of bitter people here.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help and 4 guests