Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Get a job.

IAFG

Re: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Get a job.

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
IAFG wrote:Mmm no. Still not better than not being a lawyer, and there was no RC fail on my part, but I see you earned that 166 fair and square.

How is a starting salary of 125k with a peak salary of 500k-1 mil+ worse than trying to get a job with my liberal arts degree?

And Rayiner, jealous much?

Alright alright you are just douchey enough that law is the only field that will have you. You should go to law school. Everyone else, get a damn job.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:36 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Nope, just blessed to have connections. 8)

I mean, so do I, but that doesn't mean I am going to be happy in this career. I think I am. But it's a big risk in and of itself.

Actually, most people - even those who can be successful in it - should stay the hell away from the legal field.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey guys Heavenwood has a 12 inch penis too, nvm nvm I should shut up.

I'm sure he'll tell you about.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:38 pm

is there any reason not to apply this cycle even if you didn't do as well as you hoped?

maybe you get lucky and get in somewhere you didn't expect to? if you don't, then get a job, study for the lsat, retake it, and re-apply next cycle.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Unemployed wrote:

I mean, so do I, but that doesn't mean I am going to be happy in this career. I think I am. But it's a big risk in and of itself.

Actually, most people - even those who can be successful in it - should stay the hell away from the legal field.

ESPECIALLY those who have the capacity to do well.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
IAFG wrote:Mmm no. Still not better than not being a lawyer, and there was no RC fail on my part, but I see you earned that 166 fair and square.

How is a starting salary of 125k with a peak salary of 500k-1 mil+ worse than trying to get a job with my liberal arts degree?

Alright alright you are just douchey enough that law is the only field that will have you. You should go to law school. Everyone else, get a damn job.

Nowhere near as douchey as you. But that's another thread entirely.

And with that, I'm out.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:39 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
IAFG wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Nowhere near as douchey as you.

Let's settle this once and for all: can girls be douchey? A corollary question would be: can dudes be slutty?

Also, PSA: This thread is probably destined for the lounge.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126386#p3328095
HeavenWood wrote:Many people here seem convinced that if you attend anywhere but an upper tier 1 law school, you're destined for a mediocre salary and a lifetime of debt. How true is this assumption?

My father is a managing partner at a mid-sized Philadelphia firm. He is a Penn grad, but many of the other managing partners have degrees from Temple, Rutgers, Pittsburgh--even Widener (as well as one lone grad from Arkansas). Of course, these men and women are on the older side, and began working over 25 years ago, when law was (presumably) a somewhat less competitive field. If those individuals came fresh out of those law schools today, would they really be screwed for life?

Suffice to say, I'm a bit worried. On the one hand, my father does have a lot of connections, and has told me on numerous occasions not to stress myself out--that with a few phone calls, he can land me a decent starting job at a local firm. On the other hand, I'd rather not ride Daddy's coattails. I see no shame in using connections, but at the same time, I'd like to see how far I can get on my own merit.

I plan on taking the LSAT in October, and will very likely be a high GPA / low LSAT splitter coming from Pitt--a decent (but not phenomenal) state university. Hence, I will probably end up at a low tier 1 / high tier 2 school--something in the neighborhood of Pitt, Dickinson, Temple, Villanova, or Rutgers.

If I want to stay in the Philadelphia area, do I stand a good chance of getting far? My father tells me that while nothing beats a t14 degree, if I graduate toward the top of my class, attending one of the above law schools will be just fine if I plan on remaining in the Delaware Valley.

What does everybody think?

How's that working out for you?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:40 pm

ahahahahahaha

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
rayiner wrote:So your daddy can make you partner too?

Yes he can.

Then congratulations and have fun riding those coattails. In the meantime what does your very specific factual scenario have to do with the advice IAFG gave?

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
Merely because you went into a career choice that made you bitter and resentful is not reason to act as if you have any meaningful advice to give.

I am happy with my choice, but then, I first got a job, which I hope you will also do.

I'm done with LS, and I also have a job. Save your wishes for someone who needs them.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Nikrall wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
Merely because you went into a career choice that made you bitter and resentful is not reason to act as if you have any meaningful advice to give.

I am happy with my choice, but then, I first got a job, which I hope you will also do.

I'm done with LS, and I also have a job. Save your wishes for someone who needs them.

I have a big heart, no worries. Congrats on being employed.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:54 pm

These threads make me sad...the only time they should be created is if the OP can personally give out jobs to anyone they're advising to get a job. Kind of like why you shouldn't say "get a job" to a homeless person...and I sadly know a sickening amount of people with bachelor's degrees who are indeed homeless.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Yes he can.

Then congratulations and have fun riding those coattails. In the meantime what does your very specific factual scenario have to do with the advice IAFG gave?

Hmm. What could an obvious counterexample to generalized advice have to do with said generalized advice?

Gee. I wonder.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Nikrall wrote:
rayiner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Yes he can.

Hmm. What could an obvious counterexample to generalized advice have to do with said generalized advice?

Gee. I wonder.

Let me break this down for you. If I say: "You should avoid eating Gino's deep dish everyday for lunch at NU if you don't want to gain 10 lbs 1L" and someone replies: "nuh-uh, I'm 5-9/135 and have a fast Asian metabolism so I can totally eat Gino's every day" do you see how the second person is being stupid?
Last edited by rayiner on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:These threads make me sad...the only time they should be created is if the OP can personally give out jobs to anyone they're advising to get a job. Kind of like why you shouldn't say "get a job" to a homeless person...and I sadly know a sickening amount of people with bachelor's degrees who are indeed homeless.

Going $200k into debt to very likely still not have a job isn't really a solution. I understand that the economy is weak and that it is hard but law school is expensive and, even at t10-14s, is about a 50% chance you will be as unemployed and even poorer in 3 years.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:07 pm

rayiner wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
rayiner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Yes he can.

Gee. I wonder.

Let me break this down for you. If I say: "You should avoid eating Gino's deep dish everyday for lunch at NU if you don't want to gain 10 lbs 1L" and someone replies: "nuh-uh, I'm 5-9/135 and have a fast Asian metabolism so I can totally eat Gino's every day" do you see how the second person is being stupid?

The second person isn't being stupid. They are giving a rational reason why the first persons advice doesn't apply to them and shouldn't be taken as an overall generalization. Assuming, of course, that the fast asian metabolism is actually true.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:13 pm

IAFG wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:These threads make me sad...the only time they should be created is if the OP can personally give out jobs to anyone they're advising to get a job. Kind of like why you shouldn't say "get a job" to a homeless person...and I sadly know a sickening amount of people with bachelor's degrees who are indeed homeless.

Going $200k into debt to very likely still not have a job isn't really a solution. I understand that the economy is weak and that it is hard but law school is expensive and, even at t10-14s, is about a 50% chance you will be as unemployed and even poorer in 3 years.

Making up facts about 50% of t10-t14 grads being unemployed doesn't make it true. You are also assuming that the economy will stay this weak, that getting a job now is a solution, and that the 200k doesn't pay off over the long run.

Is it more difficult than it used to be to get a job as a lawyer? Sure. Does it mean that generalized advice that if you don't do well on the LSAT on your first time, you should just give up on law school, is somehow useful? No.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Nikrall wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Gee. I wonder.

The second person isn't being stupid. They are giving a rational reason why the first persons advice doesn't apply to them and shouldn't be taken as an overall generalization. Assuming, of course, that the fast asian metabolism is actually true.

You are ignoring IAFG's central message: You can be successful (or at least be financially stable) and still extremely unhappy as a lawyer.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Nikrall wrote:

Gee. I wonder.

You are ignoring IAFG's central message: You can be successful (or at least be financially stable) and still extremely unhappy as a lawyer.

I'm curious how you can interpret that someones "central message" is something they never even mention. Not even once. Do explain where you found your amazing interpretative powers. Mushrooms perhaps?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Nikrall wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I'm curious how you can interpret that someones "central message" is something they never even mention. Not even once. Do explain where you found your amazing interpretative powers. Mushrooms perhaps?

You went through 3 years of law school and haven't figured out how to extract central themes out of thin air??

Besides:

IAFG wrote:
Unemployed wrote:

ESPECIALLY those who have the capacity to do well.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I haven't had trouble finding 60k jobs w/ a dual major in comp. sci./math from a reputable state school.

I'm just interested in gambling my financial future in that I just want to try my luck at law to see if I could make more. Happiness is overrated.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:31 pm

KevinP wrote:I haven't had trouble finding 60k jobs w/ a dual major in comp. sci./math from a reputable state school.

I'm just interested in gambling my financial future in that I just want to try my luck at law to see if I could make more. Happiness is overrated.

It is rayiner, 2014 edition!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”