December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

User avatar
Krodizzle
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:51 am

December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby Krodizzle » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Alright, so after these miserable past 12 hours, I want to retest in December.

What are the cons to taking it in December?

I was looking at the score release dates, and all of them seem to come out before Jan 1, which seems to be just in time for peak admissions? Does this seem reasonable or no?

Are there any other major cons/pros that I should think about?

Should I wait to send out my apps until after the scores are released? or should I send them now, and just let them know when my second score comes out?

naptime10
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 am

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby naptime10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Krodizzle wrote:Alright, so after these miserable past 12 hours, I want to retest in December.

What are the cons to taking it in December?

I was looking at the score release dates, and all of them seem to come out before Jan 1, which seems to be just in time for peak admissions? Does this seem reasonable or no?

Are there any other major cons/pros that I should think about?

Should I wait to send out my apps until after the scores are released? or should I send them now, and just let them know when my second score comes out?



im doing the same thing you are. i just got advised by a few tls peeps to submit apps now. they will hold for dec lsat. when your app is complete you will be one of the first they review. so if youre like me where you were going to submit apps in the next two weeks do it anyway, study like mad for dec and "hold onto your butts" (s.jackson, jp).

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Im in a similar boat (retake in Dec.), but the problem is that my apps are already in (well, save for 4 of them). Will LSAC hold them, or do I have to request that each school wait for December scores to come out?

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby NCtoDC » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:24 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im in a similar boat (retake in Dec.), but the problem is that my apps are already in (well, save for 4 of them). Will LSAC hold them, or do I have to request that each school wait for December scores to come out?



It is my understanding that you would need to call the schools and let them know you would like them to hold your apps until the Dec. test scores come out.

User avatar
WhatSarahSaid
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Krodizzle wrote:I was looking at the score release dates, and all of them seem to come out before Jan 1, which seems to be just in time for peak admissions? Does this seem reasonable or no?


You'll easily be "on time," but tons of people apply early and you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage relative to them. Whether or not that's offset by a better score will (obviously) depend on how much you improve.

You can look at the below link and get some idea of when schools make decisions; you'll notice that many decisions are made before January 1st.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby bartleby » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Is there any way I can have my app reviewed by some of the lesser schools that I have a good chance of getting into now and hold off some applications til I get my December score? Thanks.

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby HowdyYall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm

send apps in now, retake in December is the smartest thing to do

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby 2011Law » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Krodizzle wrote:I was looking at the score release dates, and all of them seem to come out before Jan 1


Do you know what the official release dates were on those? Was it the same as the upcoming one (Jan 10)? Wondering cause the Oct real release date was only three days earlier than the official release date. Is it always like that?

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby bartleby » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:20 pm

bartleby wrote:Is there any way I can have my app reviewed by some of the lesser schools that I have a good chance of getting into now and hold off some applications til I get my December score? Thanks.


Bumping my question. Please help!

lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby lolol10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:26 pm

bartleby wrote:
bartleby wrote:Is there any way I can have my app reviewed by some of the lesser schools that I have a good chance of getting into now and hold off some applications til I get my December score? Thanks.


Bumping my question. Please help!

by submitting them? apparently you call the school to inform them you would like your application to be held. so you submit now, then request holds for schools you want to wait for your dec. test.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby albanach » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:46 am

Krodizzle wrote:Alright, so after these miserable past 12 hours, I want to retest in December.

What are the cons to taking it in December?


The cons are that most schools are almost full.

You have a good though not stellar GPA. What are your aims? What were you hoping for this time?

December is coming up real soon. Look at the threads, lots of folk retake and don't do much better. Some do worse. Some do lots better - my history includes a 161 and a 173.

Can you fix what went wrong this time round in time for December? If not, then it's probably a bad idea.

If your goal is a school where you can't hit 75th percentile in both GPA and LSAT, then you might be better waiting and applying earlier when they have more places to fill.

If you're looking at school where you are already at the 75th for GPA and truly think you can pull your LSAT beyond their 75th then December should be fine. Of course if you wait until June then, with the same scores, you may be accepted to an even higher ranking school.

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: December LSAT - Cons? Should I take it?

Postby xqhp82 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:56 am

I am in a similar situation and I really need advice about retake....currently I have a 163, which stands about 3-4 points below the median of schools that I want to get into, but above their 25th percentile. GPA is just around thier median/right at 75th. I don't know how much better I can perform in December with minimal prep time, but I'm now leaning towards applying immediately to get the best shot possible with my score now...what do you guys think??

And IF I decide to retake in December, is there any way at all that I can ask some schools to review my application WITHOUT my December score, and that I can report my December score in case I get waitlisted??




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badhombre, bcapace, cherrygalore, connordalto, jdanz, LewD33, mrgstephe and 22 guests