Does the curve take cancelled scores into account?

perry24

Does the curve take cancelled scores into account?

Postby perry24 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:58 pm

I've been wondering if the LSAT curve will take cancelled scores into account. I mean, we never seem to hear about anyone doing less than 150 but in reality half the test takers should have done worse than that, right? So I'm just wondering if the reason we don't hear about those <150 scores is because most of those people cancelled?

KevinP

Re: Does the curve take cancelled scores into account?

Postby KevinP » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:00 pm

No, canceled scores do not affect the curve.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:10 pm

perry24 wrote:I've been wondering if the LSAT curve will take cancelled scores into account. I mean, we never seem to hear about anyone doing less than 150 but in reality half the test takers should have done worse than that, right? So I'm just wondering if the reason we don't hear about those <150 scores is because most of those people cancelled?

Self selection. Most of those people don't post on TLS or if they do, they are not ecstatic about sharing their score.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:13 pm

perry24 wrote:So I'm just wondering if the reason we don't hear about those <150 scores is because most of those people cancelled?

This sounds like a LR flaw question.

"I hardly ever hear people say they scored under 150, so there must be very few people who actually scored that low."

But seriously OP, cancelled scores are not factored into your percentile rank. (ex 80th percentile means you did better than or as well as 80% of test takers whose scores were NOT cancelled) And I'm pretty sure that the curve is more or less tied to the percentile distribution. (thought perhaps not entirely) Thus I wouldn't think that the number of cancellations factors that heavily into the curve.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:58 pm

The curve is determined before you even take the test.

So, no, cancellations don't matter.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”