lack of motivation about lawschool now.

naptime10

lack of motivation about lawschool now.

Postby naptime10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:29 pm

so i dont know how to explain this, other than it being a misbubble issue, but im beyond words. so i have been scoring 166 avg. in pt. and...here it comes, i got a 146 on oct lsat. without alcohol and good friends i wouldnt have made it through last night. retake obviously. is december too late? if i apply right now to the t25 schools i was anticipating on applying to will they hold my app seeing i am registered for the dec exam? with a actual test score like that should i just forget about law school? im second guessing myself as you can see having dropped 20 pts from pt avg to real thing. wtf is wrong? great forum give me your guidance!

gmenfan

Re: lack of motivation about lawschool now.

Postby gmenfan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm relatively new to the site (although I have lurked for a bit), but from my understanding, most schools won't review your application if they see that you're registered for December. They will see both scores though, so have an addendum ready for your much improved Dec score :D!

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Don't give up. It seems something just went horribly wrong, so just take december. If the score you get is in the range of your target schools then no matter how early others have applied if you have a better score yours will get priority review over the others (as evidenced by last year's strange and unusual cycle). So I would say take december and give it one more try for this year's cycle and if it doesn't work out again try a third time for next year's cycle. If you really believe law is your calling you won't give up. If you give up now then you weren't supposed to be going to law school to begin with and even taking this month's test was a waste of time.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

naptime10 wrote:so i dont know how to explain this, other than it being a misbubble issue, but im beyond words. so i have been scoring 166 avg. in pt. and...here it comes, i got a 146 on oct lsat. without alcohol and good friends i wouldnt have made it through last night. retake obviously. is december too late? if i apply right now to the t25 schools i was anticipating on applying to will they hold my app seeing i am registered for the dec exam? with a actual test score like that should i just forget about law school? im second guessing myself as you can see having dropped 20 pts from pt avg to real thing. wtf is wrong? great forum give me your guidance!

1. Don't forget about law school if that's what you wanted to do. December isn't too late for law applications. Most schools do their last mass acceptances in Jan-February; the Feb test is essentially useless if you want to go to school in 2011.

2. Review your answer sheet vs. the IRR. Did you change a lot of answers?

3. Debrief yourself and see how you studied for the LSAT? Did you just take early PT's available in those early test books like "10 released LSAT's"? Did you really take exams under true timed conditions, as in you took three sections back to back to back, a short break of 15 minutes and then another two back to back? Did you add a dummy experimental in your practice tests?

Some urban legends, even from admissions officers state that people's actual LSAT performance is 8-10 pts below their practice test average. I don't believe in it that much when people prepare for tests in timed conditions again and again.

4. Did anything funny happen while you took the LSAT? That happened to me and I believe it affected my performance on at least one section.

5. Do you have a history of "freaking out" during standardized exams?
Last edited by dcman06 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naptime10

Postby naptime10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:48 pm

adonai wrote:Don't give up. It seems something just went horribly wrong, so just take december. If the score you get is in the range of your target schools then no matter how early others have applied if you have a better score yours will get priority review over the others (as evidenced by last year's strange and unusual cycle). So I would say take december and give it one more try for this year's cycle and if it doesn't work out again try a third time for next year's cycle. If you really believe law is your calling you won't give up. If you give up now then you weren't supposed to be going to law school to begin with and even taking this month's test was a waste of time.

thanks for the response. no im just terribly disheartened, i do want to be a lawyer this is just a slap in the face for me, or a road block to maneuver. so with that score schools wont just toss me out? i mean its well below the 25th for all the schools i thought i had a good chance at with my pt avg.

HOV

Postby HOV » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 pm

i can give you technical tips on how to improve your performance on the test but i think TLS in its entirety does a better job of doing that as a forum. i'd like to address your doubts in general because if you don't conjure up the willpower to plow forward, technical advice will serve no purpose.

never, never, never give up on something if you know that's what you want to do. trials and tribulations are part of life--these are the things that make success that much sweeter.

if you don't retake the LSAT and therefore do not attend law school you will never taste that sweetness and THAT will be a damn shame because nobody knows today how competent of a lawyer you might be in the future. not you, not lsac, not me, nobody on TLS, no clairvoyant, no pundit, and no statistician. that is something for you to find out but you need to hustle, focus on improving your strengths and weaknesses and just do the damn thing.

use the forum. begin to attack holistically and as the days go on, move towards prying out the nuances in your errors. stop doubting yourself and make it happen.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 pm

naptime10 wrote:
adonai wrote:Don't give up. It seems something just went horribly wrong, so just take december. If the score you get is in the range of your target schools then no matter how early others have applied if you have a better score yours will get priority review over the others (as evidenced by last year's strange and unusual cycle). So I would say take december and give it one more try for this year's cycle and if it doesn't work out again try a third time for next year's cycle. If you really believe law is your calling you won't give up. If you give up now then you weren't supposed to be going to law school to begin with and even taking this month's test was a waste of time.

thanks for the response. no im just terribly disheartened, i do want to be a lawyer this is just a slap in the face for me, or a road block to maneuver. so with that score schools wont just toss me out? i mean its well below the 25th for all the schools i thought i had a good chance at with my pt avg.

Send the app in and tell the schools you plan to retake in december so your file will be complete but just on hold until december scores come out. I think they are able to see you are registered so they won't review it until the new scores come out.
Last edited by adonai on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:09 pm

HOV wrote:i can give you technical tips on how to improve your performance on the test but i think TLS in its entirety does a better job of doing that as a forum. i'd like to address your doubts in general because if you don't conjure up the willpower to plow forward, technical advice will serve no purpose.

never, never, never give up on something if you know that's what you want to do. trials and tribulations are part of life--these are the things that make success that much sweeter.

if you don't retake the LSAT and therefore do not attend law school you will never taste that sweetness and THAT will be a damn shame because nobody knows today how competent of a lawyer you might be in the future. not you, not lsac, not me, nobody on TLS, no clairvoyant, no pundit, and no statistician. that is something for you to find out but you need to hustle, focus on improving your strengths and weaknesses and just do the damn thing.

use the forum. begin to attack holistically and as the days go on, move towards prying out the nuances in your errors. stop doubting yourself and make it happen.

Now this is a proper response.

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 pm

JurisDoctorate wrote:
HOV wrote:i can give you technical tips on how to improve your performance on the test but i think TLS in its entirety does a better job of doing that as a forum. i'd like to address your doubts in general because if you don't conjure up the willpower to plow forward, technical advice will serve no purpose.

Now this is a proper response.

agreed. but if you retake december, i would seriously consider waiting a year. a look at law school numbers will show you the disadvantage sending your apps off late gives you. take a year off, get a job and live life without homework and a job that requires you to bring your work home with you. it may be your last chance before you retire to live that way.

naptime10

Postby naptime10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:15 pm

thanks much for your response. i definitely needed to hear this advice to wake me up a bit from my pit of despair/ self-loathing. studying for dec starts right about...now!

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:17 pm

OP, someone I know had a nearly identical situation to yours. PTs were usually close to 170, took the October exam and scored in the 140s. Somehow missed an absurd amount of questions on RC. He retook it in December and improved more than 20 points.

However, he waited until after his December score to apply. He regrets doing it this way. He got wait-listed all over the place, and suspects that applying after the December exam was a major factor in that. Law schools will typically not review your application if they see that you are scheduled to take an LSAT. You should submit your applications, or at least a lot of them, before the December exam and just trust that you will do better the second time around.

naptime10

Postby naptime10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:24 pm

cubswin wrote:OP, someone I know had a nearly identical situation to yours. PTs were usually close to 170, took the October exam and scored in the 140s. Somehow missed an absurd amount of questions on RC. He retook it in December and improved more than 20 points.

However, he waited until after his December score to apply. He regrets doing it this way. He got wait-listed all over the place, and suspects that applying after the December exam was a major factor in that. Law schools will typically not review your application if they see that you are scheduled to take an LSAT. You should submit your applications, or at least a lot of them, before the December exam and just trust that you will do better the second time around.

yikes i dont want that to happen to me. so your advice is i should continue to stay on track and submit my apps now ish but ask for a hold till dec?

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:36 pm

do you really want to tell your children you tried achieve your goal in life but failed once so you just gave up?

if you quit now you are going to be feeling worse 10 years down the road when you are doing something else, wishing you had just stuck with it for a few more months

you said yourself you PT at 166, so the potential is there, you just need to hit it

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:23 am

Dude you can still re take. You are fine. I have blown all of my 3 chances for retakes, so I am stuck with a 164 even though I could have done so much better. The 145 will just be a novel curiosity on your application if you get in the mid 160s on your retake. It may even make you stand out from the pack, who knows lol.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”