Re-taking to get into the T14

ND'10

Re-taking to get into the T14

Postby ND'10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:02 pm

So I had never even really considered the "R" word prior to the October exam- I was scoring consistently in the 171-173 range on the recent PTs and even got a 175 on PT 60 in a 5 section, proctored environment one week before the test. A couple things happen- run out of time on the last logic game when I was a consistent -0, run out of time/steam and miss the last 3 test questions- and I end up with a 168 instead of my goal of 170.

I set my goal as a 170 because that seems to be the median for GTown, UVa, and Duke which are my pre-visit top 3 choices. Right now I'm planning on applying for the 2012 cycle with the 168, a 3.85 GPA from a top 20 UG, and decent softs.

That brings me to the question... Should I retake to go for a 170-172ish score in February or June? I've got the time since I'm not applying until 2012, I just don't know how the t14 usually looks on re-takers. Would getting a 170 really increase my chances, given I'm a re-taker, with one of those schools or am I kind of stuck with the label of the 168? A 168 isn't a terrible score but puts me square on the t14 bubble (and maybe on the outside looking in) I think with the 3.85 GPA.

pppokerface

Re: Re-taking to get into the T14

Postby pppokerface » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:03 pm

That is my situation. I vote June only cause I'm not a morning person and I need a breather.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:06 pm

From what I've heard, re-taking for the t14 is generally fine as long as you're not aiming for HYSCCN. So really 7-14. But I'm hoping someone from CCN will bite a retake if I ED :D

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:46 am

BUMP

Really struggling thinking about whether to re-take or not, seems like I will though assuming schools don't look down upon it

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:21 am

here's the deal w/ the gpa you have a solid uva ed chance if the medians are staying the same but otherwise the retake is worth it.... seriously though ed at uva and u will probably get it

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:25 am

I'm really on the fence about retaking too. On the one hand, my 168 is much more than I thought I would end up with when I first started thinking about the LSAT.

On the other hand, 168 is so tantalizingly close to the 170s that I almost feel like I would be a fool to stop now. Also, I'm somewhat of a splitter (3.36 LSDAS GPA) so my LSAT score is everything. Much agonizing will be done over the next week.

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:59 pm

jcunni5 wrote:here's the deal w/ the gpa you have a solid uva ed chance if the medians are staying the same but otherwise the retake is worth it.... seriously though ed at uva and u will probably get it

Yeah, I was thinking about taking a visit to UVA, Georgetown, and Duke and EDing where I like the most and pray I get in with a 168 and 3.85

That's a risky strategy though since if I get rejected ED, I'm probably out of luck at my other top choices. Since I'm applying in 2012, I'm leaning toward a February/June re-take now. I was a -4 on LG when I was a consistent -0 on my last 6-8 PTs. Right there is the difference between a 168 and the 171 that would probably get me in.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:05 pm

ND'10 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:here's the deal w/ the gpa you have a solid uva ed chance if the medians are staying the same but otherwise the retake is worth it.... seriously though ed at uva and u will probably get it

Yeah, I was thinking about taking a visit to UVA, Georgetown, and Duke and EDing where I like the most and pray I get in with a 168 and 3.85

That's a risky strategy though since if I get rejected ED, I'm probably out of luck at my other top choices. Since I'm applying in 2012, I'm leaning toward a February/June re-take now. I was a -4 on LG when I was a consistent -0 on my last 6-8 PTs. Right there is the difference between a 168 and the 171 that would probably get me in.

if you get rejected ED from UVA you could still ED to another school definitely GULC, and probably Duke too unless there is something specific on the app that says so, but most of the law schools don't care if you've ED'ed at another school as long as you are not bound by it anymore. However, i don't think GULC and Duke are as reverse splitter friendly as UVA, so if u did get rejected ED at UVA, retake

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Why are you so interested in paying sticker at D, V, and GULC? Apply broadly with your stats and go to the school that offers the best combination of academic experience, employment prospects, and scholarship. Personally, I wouldn't re-take; but, I suppose this entire discussion is dependent upon your career objectives. I would be looking for a near full-ride at GW or a full-ride at a non-T14 in the region in which I'd like to work.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:14 pm

ND'10 wrote:So I had never even really considered the "R" word prior to the October exam- I was scoring consistently in the 171-173 range on the recent PTs and even got a 175 on PT 60 in a 5 section, proctored environment one week before the test. A couple things happen- run out of time on the last logic game when I was a consistent -0, run out of time/steam and miss the last 3 test questions- and I end up with a 168 instead of my goal of 170.

I set my goal as a 170 because that seems to be the median for GTown, UVa, and Duke which are my pre-visit top 3 choices. Right now I'm planning on applying for the 2012 cycle with the 168, a 3.85 GPA from a top 20 UG, and decent softs.

That brings me to the question... Should I retake to go for a 170-172ish score in February or June? I've got the time since I'm not applying until 2012, I just don't know how the t14 usually looks on re-takers. Would getting a 170 really increase my chances, given I'm a re-taker, with one of those schools or am I kind of stuck with the label of the 168? A 168 isn't a terrible score but puts me square on the t14 bubble (and maybe on the outside looking in) I think with the 3.85 GPA.

I wouldn't ED anywhere with that gpa. If you retake and get 170+ you will be looking at money at schools you would otherwise ed to. I retook a 170 and got a 178 and I think that will make a world of difference in my cycle.

pppokerface

Postby pppokerface » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:53 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:
ND'10 wrote:So I had never even really considered the "R" word prior to the October exam- I was scoring consistently in the 171-173 range on the recent PTs and even got a 175 on PT 60 in a 5 section, proctored environment one week before the test. A couple things happen- run out of time on the last logic game when I was a consistent -0, run out of time/steam and miss the last 3 test questions- and I end up with a 168 instead of my goal of 170.

I wouldn't ED anywhere with that gpa. If you retake and get 170+ you will be looking at money at schools you would otherwise ed to. I retook a 170 and got a 178 and I think that will make a world of difference in my cycle.

Thats what I am doing. Granted, I have multiple LSAT scores - cancel, 157, 168, which looks pretty ugly. However, if I just work on games (-8) I can probably only go up, which would only help admissions...at least in my opinion.

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:19 pm

sanpiero wrote:Why are you so interested in paying sticker at D, V, and GULC? Apply broadly with your stats and go to the school that offers the best combination of academic experience, employment prospects, and scholarship. Personally, I wouldn't re-take; but, I suppose this entire discussion is dependent upon your career objectives. I would be looking for a near full-ride at GW or a full-ride at a non-T14 in the region in which I'd like to work.

See, that's the thing- I just finished undergrad and started working full-time a couple months ago and am just now really trying to aquaint myself with law school information and law school jobs. Everything I seem to hear about the law job market though is that the top 6 are getting the jobs, top 7-14 are getting the rest, and there's slim pickings for everyone else. I would really like to work in the DC area and loved UVa, Duke, and Georgetown when I visited undergrad so those seem like natural choices. I also want to look at JD/MBA programs and I know UVa has a fantastic undergrad business program and Duke has a great graduate business school. I also received a second major in film so would be very interested in programs with UCLA and USC. I think I would be a solid candidate at those schools but don't know about jobs/scholarship money from those schools right now.

I'm still trying to find out things like how much money in scholarships I can get from non-T14 schools and whether I can still get jobs from those schools as well. If I get confirmation that the schools listed above are my best option, though, I don't want to be denied at those t14 schools because I didn't retake. So if it would really increase my chances to get a 170-172 then I think I'd want to do so, even if I end up at a different school in 2012.

pppokerface

Postby pppokerface » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:26 pm

ND'10 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Why are you so interested in paying sticker at D, V, and GULC? Apply broadly with your stats and go to the school that offers the best combination of academic experience, employment prospects, and scholarship. Personally, I wouldn't re-take; but, I suppose this entire discussion is dependent upon your career objectives. I would be looking for a near full-ride at GW or a full-ride at a non-T14 in the region in which I'd like to work.

See, that's the thing- I just finished undergrad and started working full-time a couple months ago and am just now really trying to aquaint myself with law school information and law school jobs. Everything I seem to hear about the law job market though is that the top 6 are getting the jobs, top 7-14 are getting the rest, and there's slim pickings for everyone else. I would really like to work in the DC area and loved UVa, Duke, and Georgetown when I visited undergrad so those seem like natural choices. I also want to look at JD/MBA programs and I know UVa has a fantastic undergrad business program and Duke has a great graduate business school. I also received a second major in film so would be very interested in programs with UCLA and USC. I think I would be a solid candidate at those schools but don't know about jobs/scholarship money from those schools right now.

I'm still trying to find out things like how much money in scholarships I can get from non-T14 schools and whether I can still get jobs from those schools as well. If I get confirmation that the schools listed above are my best option, though, I don't want to be denied at those t14 schools because I didn't retake. So if it would really increase my chances to get a 170-172 then I think I'd want to do so, even if I end up at a different school in 2012.

Nah I understand. If you can do better, retake =)

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:49 pm

ND'10 wrote:

ND, meet LawSchoolNumbers.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”