Misbubble?

Jeffort

Re: Misbubble?

Postby Jeffort » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:49 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Damn what the hell happened to us?

Temporary brain cloud on test day? It happens. Brains sometimes misfire when under extreme pressure. It even occasionally happens to the best of us. It just sucks when it happens on the day that matters.

Sorry to hear that a few of you ended up with scores far below your PT range.

RE: mis-bubbling
Hand scoring is not meant to be a remedy to correct for bubbling mistakes made by the test taker. Its purpose is to check for and correct any mistakes made by the bubble sheet scanners, meaning errors on the LSAC end of things, NOT to correct errors from the student end. Basically, it is to make sure the machine properly read/registered which bubble you filled in per question # row. When they hand score a test they DO NOT look at your test booklet, that is policy. All the handscore person looks at is the bubble sheet and the report of which bubble the scanner registered for each question #, row by row.

I've never heard any verifiable case of LSAC correcting for and adjusting a reported score due to bubble offsetting. The discussion board rumor mill has some anecdotal claims over the years that a bubble offset mistake was corrected by a hand score, but those claims have all turned out to be bogus. I've talked to LSAC about this several times over the years.

Once a score has been reported, it is final and you are stuck with it unless their is sufficient proof that LSAC F'd up in scoring the test somehow.

http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/handscoring.asp
Last edited by Jeffort on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjc314

Postby bjc314 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Happened to me. Forgot one question, as a result missed 8 that I actually had right. FML.

Postby 2014 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

There have been stories of people on this forum who were able to get points back if it was blantantly obvious it was a misbubble.

As in they go -3 on one LR, -16 on the other with 16 wrong in a row that would all be correct if shifted up one.

It's worth calling at least, it has worked in the past.

linda90

Postby linda90 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 pm

happened to me. forgot to bubble 2 questions

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:21 pm

2014 wrote:There have been stories of people on this forum who were able to get points back if it was blantantly obvious it was a misbubble.

As in they go -3 on one LR, -16 on the other with 16 wrong in a row that would all be correct if shifted up one.

It's worth calling at least, it has worked in the past.

And you believe everything you read on the internet too right?

You can call LSAC and they will refer you to the policy:
http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/handscoring.asp

Instead of arguing the issue and the truth of anecdotal reports I'll dig a little deeper and let you guys know what I find out. I just sent an email requesting clarification about the issue to a good high level LSAC contact I have been corresponding with for several years. Once I receive a response I'll let you know what they say.

miller39

Postby miller39 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:38 pm

I just went through the PDF's and although I wish I could say I misbubbled, I just straight up bombed the test!! Felt so good about it too....Time to shake this disaster off and take this sucker again. Considering bucking up the dough and taking a prep course. Good luck to all!

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:49 pm

I got my score adjusted through hand-grading. No lies. I noticed that I had misbubbled right before turning in my scantron, so I contacted LSAC the following Monday (long before my score was released). FWIW, some TLS people know me in real life.

Maybe LSAC's policy has changed since 2008.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 am

Hey people,

I received a response from LSAC about handscoring as it relates to misbubbling. As I promised I'm delivering the information here so that it can help people that had a 'pencil gone wild' decide what to do.

Here is what LSAC said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
from <XXXXXXX@lsac.org>
to Jeffrey XXXXXX <XXXXXXX@gmail.com>
date Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM
subject Question regarding LSAC handscoring policy and procedures
mailed-by lsac.org

Hi Jeff,

In speaking with Candidate Services we do review such requests but the test taker would have to be specific in stating which was the last item correctly completed, which item he/she skipped and any other information relevant to the misgridding.

There are times when we are able to make an adjustment but not always.

I hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So there it is and I hope this helps those of you that misbubbled.

appind

Post removed...

Postby appind » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:45 am

Post removed...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”