For those who scored at least 10 points below PTs on 10/9/10

niederbomb

Re: For those who scored at least 10 points below PTs on 10/9/10

Postby niederbomb » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:21 am

James Bond wrote:

Please take this time to consider the mind-numbing aspects of being a lawyer, the entirely unnecessary hours, the fact that there are more students in law school than there are lawyers, this video, the ridiculous debt, the complete lack of hiring, and the fact that you're probably good at something else that doesn't take a fortune to get a degree in, has reasonable hours, might even pay well, and won't have you dying of either suicide or a coke overdose.

For some of us, it's either law school or go back and get another UG degree in something useful. Which I'm willing to do if necessary. Many people going to law school are doing so because it's the most attractive option for someone with a liberal arts degree. Right now I'm qualified to teach ESL in third-world countries. Pretty fun for a year but a pretty crappy career.

But again, if I don't get into a T10, I'm going back to UG to get a Computer Science degree to replace my current History BA.

In either case, a lot more debt is on the horizon.

But I wish the scores would post.....

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:25 am

Lennonist,
I'm disappointed about how I did but nothing like 10 pts below PTs... so sorry to hear about all of you guys.

I hope some of these scores are a fluke and LSAC had some crazy messup and is re-doing the curve or something (something that explains no pdfs ) but unfortunately I'm 99.9999% sure it is nothing like that.

Still really sorry for you and best of luck otherwise.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:31 am

niederbomb wrote:James Bond wrote:

Please take this time to consider the mind-numbing aspects of being a lawyer, the entirely unnecessary hours, the fact that there are more students in law school than there are lawyers, this video, the ridiculous debt, the complete lack of hiring, and the fact that you're probably good at something else that doesn't take a fortune to get a degree in, has reasonable hours, might even pay well, and won't have you dying of either suicide or a coke overdose.

For some of us, it's either law school or go back and get another UG degree in something useful. Which I'm willing to do if necessary. Many people going to law school are doing so because it's the most attractive option for someone with a liberal arts degree. Right now I'm qualified to teach ESL in third-world countries. Pretty fun for a year but a pretty crappy career.

But again, if I don't get into a T10, I'm going back to UG to get a Computer Science degree to replace my current History BA.

In either case, a lot more debt is on the horizon.

But I wish the scores would post.....

Getting a Comp Sci BS degree is a lot cheaper than getting a law school degree unless you go to an overpriced UG institution. And with your history degree, you could attempt to get into a master's program in some other discipline. Going to law school because it's simply the "most attractive option" for someone with a liberal arts degree is silly, especially when it's only the most attractive option because of a false glamorization of the career path. If your law school dream doesn't pan out and a Comp Sci degree would make you happy, much less if you're good at it, it's probably a better path anyhow.

J. Galt

Postby J. Galt » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:37 am

I got hammered on this test. I normally PT high 160s to low 170s, and I got a 156. I'm crushed right now. My nerves were fine during the exam. I felt great afterwards. If anything, I normally perform better under pressure, but this is really bad. I may have misbubbled or something. I might ask for it to be hand-graded to delay the inevitable, but I'm out of answers at this point. I interviewed at Vandy today which went exceedingly well, but with my scores on the real deal being so bad, I am probably shit out of luck.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:37 am

I'm an LSAT tutor. Below is what I posted after the June test. I truly hope that each of you who didn't do what you know was your best find a way to figure out what you need to do differently next time. Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to talk it out with you. Take care.

A few observations from an LSAT tutor:

Many of you mention that you hit well below your PT's. This is a certain indicator of the need for stress management. You should prepare for this aspect of the test with as much diligence as you devote to the test content. One stress management technique, developed as a treatment for anxiety but now popular with world-class athletes, is Progressive Muscle Relaxation, or PMR. Once mastered, it's a powerful tool for leveling your energy and freeing your brain to do its best. You'll find many free downloads of PMR programs if you Google the term. My favorite collection of PMR -- and other relaxation/breathing techniques for de-stressing -- is here:
--LinkRemoved-- ... elax07.htm
Regular practice of deep breathing techniques, combined with PMR, produces an automatic, muscle-memory response to relax at the onset of anxiety. The result is vastly improved clarity of thought, better sleep patterns, and a general sense of confidence and well-being. But it's an acquired skill, so it's best to begin at once.

Some of you tanked on the fifth section. This probably indicates an endurance problem. Consider working many five-and six-section PT's, especially in the month before Game Day. They can be enough to make you gag, but I guarantee they do improve your mental toughness. If you don't feel you'll apply yourself if you know which are the "experimental sections" (which you put together from the older PT's), have a friend do a little cut-and-paste graphics job and put them together for you. It's a bit of a pain but worth it if you need that crutch. Cambridge LSAT has put together some 5-Section tests, and you can purchase them in pdf files (yes, they ARE legal and the publisher IS an LSAC licensee) instantly for download
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/product/ls ... section/18

Those who were hit by RC have mentioned reading this summer, especially complex materials such as The Economist. That's a great idea as far as it goes, but you also should commit to routinely tackling actual RC sections. This is so for at least two reasons: The most sophisticated periodicals out there are no match for those garbled RC passages. Try underlining the subject and predicate of the more complex sentences as you read; a favorite trick of lsac is to entwine these two components in a morass of subordinate clauses and prepositional phrases. Thus the next reason for faithfully tackling RC PT's: It's the only way you'll develop an intuitive sense of what the test-takers expect. That's why RC is the most challenging for tutors; it can be difficult to discern a pattern of weakness.

For LR, a great free resource is the podcast series, Logic in Everyday Life: http://www.princetonreview.com/lsat-logic.aspx
Each podcast takes an example of argumentation from a TV ad or a political speech and analyzes it in terms of LR. Please don't mistake my recommending something published by Princeton Review as any enthusiasm by me for that company (but to each his own of course; apologies to Admin Ken). Each 'cast is just a few minutes long and, if you listen daily, you will see your LR mindset improve.

As for LG: Know your conditional statements cold. You may think you already do, but you CAN improve. I'm convinced that one reason (of several) the dreaded dinosaur game from PT 57 threw so many test-takers is the phrasing of the conditional rules. Go through your LG's and note the phrasing of each conditional statement. You may want to make flash cards. I'm working on a set and I'll post a template when they're complete. Improving your recognition of the correct form of any conditional statement will improve both accuracy and speed on LG's. Of course, you must also practice, practice, practice. If a certain game type gives you trouble, consider getting a set of that type. Cambridge has them in sets for a very good price: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/product/ls ... c_games/23

I have a bias against classes, but I feel that they make especially little sense for the re-taker. You already know the basics. Einstein said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. What this means for some of you is that just drilling through the PT's may not be the answer either. Re-takers need to "study smart." You each will need something different. I would suggest, as a first step, analyzing each missed question by type (e.g. LR Most Strongly Supported, RC Main Point, etc.). Do this on your actual test, and on your old PT's if you still have them. If you have trouble identifying your weaknesses, a tutor can be a valuable tool. There are many of us out there; be sure you can visit with one to see whether you will be compatible as to learning/teaching style AND your individual needs BEFORE you are required to pay for a session. The right tutor, the best teaching tools (PowerScore Bibles IMO), and of course plenty of actual LSAT PT sections, and timed PT's can be the most effective -- and cost-effective prep.

The point is: You have to figure out exactly what went wrong last time and change it up accordingly. The retake process actually can be quite satisfying if you view it as an opportunity to complete a work in progress.

My very best to you all.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:44 am

fastforward wrote:I'm an LSAT tutor. Below is what I posted after the June test. I truly hope that each of you who didn't do what you know was your best find a way to figure out what you need to do differently next time. Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to talk it out with you. Take care.

A few observations from an LSAT tutor:

etc.

My very best to you all.

This is very helpful, thanks.

edited for space

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:51 am

Last edited by risktaker on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:49 am

I got a 163, was PTing around 170. I am all out of chances until next november! If I do not get in anywhere, I will re take then. If you are going to retake, by all means do so. Just realize that you need to get enough sleep the night before or you will be kicking yourself hard...

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 am

Thank God I got this 175 to validate that I am making a good choice in pursuing this profession. Because I'm really not good at anything other than reading and analytical reasoning.

What else am I going to do? Be a writer? Teach? :|

slax

Postby slax » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Thank God I got this 175 to validate that I am making a good choice in pursuing this profession. Because I'm really not good at anything other than reading and analytical reasoning.

What else am I going to do? Be a writer? Teach? :|

I really hope this is a joke; it's hard to read sarcasm on the internet. Otherwise, you are a certified asshole.

haleydee

Postby haleydee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:09 pm

was consistently getting 173, 172, 171 weeks up to the test and got a 161....

ran out of time on RC for the first time EVER...think I was concentrating too hard and just spent way too much time...every other section though was PERFECT.. ugh

have already taken the test 3 times though..how do you go about getting a school to tell lsac you can take it again?

keeran23

Postby keeran23 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I'll join the 158 club with you Lennonist. After my last 4 PT's being 169, 170, 172, 170 and an average of 168, with a COLD DIAGNOSTIC of 163, a 158 is all I have to show, awesome. Just realized my best section (LG) was at the end. The first LG was experimental and I know for a fact that I got 100% correct cause I had 10 minutes to check each problem over. WHY THE F()#@!* DO THEY DO AN EXPERIMENTAL YOU @!(*#!)@#. THERES NO NEED FOR IT F!@#)(*@!# R)#@!(#*!)@ !@)(#*!@)(#. [/rant].

Anyways, I start my studying again tomorrow, shall be fun. I am going to use all the PT's I haven't done (1-40) and hope it helps.

I guess it is what it is.

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:40 pm

haleydee wrote:was consistently getting 173, 172, 171 weeks up to the test and got a 161....

ran out of time on RC for the first time EVER...think I was concentrating too hard and just spent way too much time...every other section though was PERFECT.. ugh

have already taken the test 3 times though..how do you go about getting a school to tell lsac you can take it again?

I was testing 170-173 (one 175) nothing below 166 and got a 161 as well. I ran out of time on RC with 1 question left which wasn't a huge deal. Managed to get -10 on logic games entirely due to nerves. I didn't settle down until I got to the LR's.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:57 pm

I was testing above 170's with usually -1 or -2 per section. Ended up with a 164. Pissed. Missed 3 in LG and I knew exactly which three they were going to be.

Retaking in December.

RebelRebel

Postby RebelRebel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:11 am

Is anyone taking again this December?

It would be my 3rd time within the 2-year time frame... Am I a fool to think that 30 days are sufficient to increase my score?
Who's jumping in?

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:24 am

RebelRebel wrote:Is anyone taking again this December?

It would be my 3rd time within the 2-year time frame... Am I a fool to think that 30 days are sufficient to increase my score?
Who's jumping in?

I think it depends on what caused your low score. Personally, my drop was due to stupid mistakes in one particular section (LR). I knew where I messed up in the LG section and the RC was fine for me. If you have a specific area that you can work to improve, then go for it. If you're looking to improve your score in every section, then I would say wait to retake. After all, do you really want to spend the money on what would essentially be a shot in the dark?

RebelRebel

Postby RebelRebel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:59 am

........................................................................................
Last edited by RebelRebel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:18 pm

slax wrote:

Adjudicator wrote:
Thank God I got this 175 to validate that I am making a good choice in pursuing this profession. Because I'm really not good at anything other than reading and analytical reasoning.

What else am I going to do? Be a writer? Teach?

I really hope this is a joke; it's hard to read sarcasm on the internet. Otherwise, you are a certified asshole.

Actually, a lot of people in the math-phobic US of A can sympathize with Adj. I don't get the "joke."

Someone with a liberal arts degree is faced with 4 choices.

1) Be a writer (aka "starving artist") or teach (a pretty good job, I hear...in Finland...no offense to any Finns intended 8) ).

2) go to law school

3) Learn how to do advanced calculus and linear algebra and use these newly acquired skills to start over and get a useful undergraduate degree in a field like engineering, quantitative finance, accounting, chemistry, medicine, environmental science, or computer science, i.e. a major that gets you a job.

4) Do something that just requires "a degree" regardless of subject, like the military (officer corps), the FBI, or the CIA. Not bad if this is your thing.

Am I forgetting something?

slax

Postby slax » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:09 pm

niederbomb wrote:slax wrote:

Adjudicator wrote:

What else am I going to do? Be a writer? Teach?

Actually, a lot of people in the math-phobic US of A can sympathize with Adj. I don't get the "joke."

Someone with a liberal arts degree is faced with 4 choices.

1) Be a writer (aka "starving artist") or teach (a pretty good job, I hear...in Finland...no offense to any Finns intended 8) ).

2) go to law school

3) Learn how to do advanced calculus and linear algebra and use these newly acquired skills to start over and get a useful undergraduate degree in a field like engineering, quantitative finance, accounting, chemistry, medicine, environmental science, or computer science, i.e. a major that gets you a job.

4) Do something that just requires "a degree" regardless of subject, like the military (officer corps), the FBI, or the CIA. Not bad if this is your thing.

Am I forgetting something?

Yes, but he is an asshole for posting that in this particular thread.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”