Support thread for those whose Earth has just been shattered

testmachine45

Re: Support thread for those whose Earth has just been shattered

Postby testmachine45 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:34 pm

what was the curve? anyone???

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 pm

testmachine45 wrote:what was the curve? anyone???

nobody knows

logicgamesbrah

Postby logicgamesbrah » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:36 pm

pt average 161-163, actual score 154...i knew i had messed up on logic games but this is still a shock to me

im uninstalling all games on my PC, starting sunday i am going to work harder for the next 5 weeks on this than anything i have ever done in my life, come dec 11th im laying it all out on the line

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:41 pm

I would call getting a 180 six days before the real thing and getting an actual 166 is earth shattering.

Fluke, I say, but absolutely crestfallen.

balzern

Postby balzern » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:43 pm

I was pt-ing in the high 160s and low 170s and I got a 152. I can't even begin to attempt to explain.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:44 pm

balzern wrote:I was pt-ing in the high 160s and low 170s and I got a 152. I can't even begin to attempt to explain.

Are you serious??? How???

mlee85

Postby mlee85 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:45 pm

just more motivation to study more effectively for my dec. retake.

edit. got a 159. its quite a few points below my average but at least it is better than my first diagnostic.
Last edited by mlee85 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:47 pm

JurisDoctorate wrote:
James Bond wrote:Failures,

Please take this time to consider the mind-numbing aspects of being a lawyer, the entirely unnecessary hours, the fact that there are more students in law school than there are lawyers, this video, the ridiculous debt, the complete lack of hiring, and the fact that you're probably good at something else that doesn't take a fortune to get a degree in, has reasonable hours, might even pay well, and won't have you dying of either suicide or a coke overdose.

So before you go rushing off to pay the LSAC for another round of meaningless testing, self reflect, and realize that 155 might be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Love,

Bond

I understand this sentiment and I think it can be true for most. However, in my instance, without law school - I will be relegated to becoming an academic in the social sciences. It's about as tough a market as there is and I do not want to leave my whereabouts. The odds of getting a tenure track professorship, when only applying within only one city, are miniscule. If I get my JD, I will be in a good position to enter the very lucrative and opportunity-filled profession that is legal academia.

I am not going to allow my performance on one test - when I had only taken 3 full PT's and only "studied" for 6 weeks - limit me in my career ambitions.

Again, I understand - and even appreciate - this sentiment; however, those words fall deaf on my ears.

How embarrassing...a society that thinks being a college professor is a relegation. Not to mention the fact that is you don't go to a law school whose name ends in 'ale or 'arvard, and finish in the top 10%-5% of your class, you're not getting into legal academia. I don't think if you were that kind of person you'd be posting in a thread about unexpectedly low lsat scores either. I mean no offense by that either. I'm not the top 5% in Harvard Law either. An overwhelming and almost impossible minority are.

Anyhow, I highly doubt that law school is really your only option, especially when getting either a master's degree or a second bachelor's degree in another subject is always an option.

raspberry

Postby raspberry » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 pm

balzern wrote:I was pt-ing in the high 160s and low 170s and I got a 152. I can't even begin to attempt to explain.

Same exact PT average and same exact score for me too. I have no idea what happened.

LSU Undergrad

Postby LSU Undergrad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:57 pm

I wrote an impulsive gut reaction, I'm fine, I apologize for sounding extreme.

BeanTownBee

Postby BeanTownBee » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:58 pm

bombed it...158...down from my usual upper-mid 160s averages.

Any opinions on what effects retaking in December has on the application process for next fall?

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:02 am

James Bond wrote:How embarrassing...a society that thinks being a college professor is a relegation. Not to mention the fact that is you don't go to a law school whose name ends in 'ale or 'arvard, and finish in the top 10%-5% of your class, you're not getting into legal academia. I don't think if you were that kind of person you'd be posting in a thread about unexpectedly low lsat scores either. I mean no offense by that either. I'm not the top 5% in Harvard Law either. An overwhelming and almost impossible minority are.

Anyhow, I highly doubt that law school is really your only option, especially when getting either a master's degree or a second bachelor's degree in another subject is always an option.

Well, my one voice is not representative of an entire society - let's start off with that. Second, let's just say that the post was in bad taste on this thread. Emotions are high and people are pretty upset; it's not like your idea on this is a novel thought, many people feel this way.

It is a relegation when one has to send out 50 applications, throughout the entire country, in order to even get one call back. If I could become a Psychology professor at a research 1 institution, no worries; having to go out into that horrific market, that's a relegation.

While the school I'm looking to attend isn't HYS, you're batshit crazy if you think CCN won't create opportunities for legal academia. Further, I am not law professor material because I had an unexpectedly-low LSAT?

Law school is a very good option that can augment my career opportunities, along with the PhD I am earning. Getting a master's degree or a second bachelor's would not make any sense.

The truth is, you came on this thread with no sensitivity and little insight. I explained myself (which didn't even need to be done) and then you further pursue, showing that you have even less insight into the situation.

'Grats to you for whatever situation you are in that emboldened you to call us failures, but your posting on this thread spoke volumes about your character.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:03 am

BeanTownBee wrote:bombed it...158...down from my usual upper-mid 160s averages.

Any opinions on what effects retaking in December has on the application process for next fall?

...it depends. Can you retake and get a 165+? That would be one hell of a positive effect. Just "retaking" doesn't guarantee a higher score, however.

BeanTownBee

Postby BeanTownBee » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:07 am

...it depends. Can you retake and get a 165+? That would be one hell of a positive effect. Just "retaking" doesn't guarantee a higher score, however.

That would be the goal, and up until an hour ago I would have said absolutely.

My question was directed more toward what happens if my score (more realistically) stays relatively unchanged (+/-2) and I wait to send my apps until I get the Dec. results. Everything else staying the same, is there an advantage to applying earlier?

Thanks

Korlath

Postby Korlath » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:10 am

diagnostic 147
oct 2010: 158
goal: 162+
prep range: 160-165

I wish I had some of the "low and horrible" scores i've seen here so far.

balzern

Postby balzern » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:11 am

I have no idea how it happened.

balzern

Postby balzern » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:12 am

any idea when the pdfs will be up

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:14 am

JurisDoctorate wrote:
James Bond wrote:How embarrassing...a society that thinks being a college professor is a relegation. Not to mention the fact that is you don't go to a law school whose name ends in 'ale or 'arvard, and finish in the top 10%-5% of your class, you're not getting into legal academia. I don't think if you were that kind of person you'd be posting in a thread about unexpectedly low lsat scores either. I mean no offense by that either. I'm not the top 5% in Harvard Law either. An overwhelming and almost impossible minority are.

Well, my one voice is not representative of an entire society - let's start off with that. Second, let's just say that the post was in bad taste on this thread. Emotions are high and people are pretty upset; it's not like your idea on this is a novel thought, many people feel this way.

It is a relegation when one has to send out 50 applications, throughout the entire country, in order to even get one call back. If I could become a Psychology professor at a research 1 institution, no worries; having to go out into that horrific market, that's a relegation.

While the school I'm looking to attend isn't HYS, you're batshit crazy if you think CCN won't create opportunities for legal academia. Further, I am not law professor material because I had an unexpectedly-low LSAT?

Law school is a very good option that can augment my career opportunities, along with the PhD I am earning. Getting a master's degree or a second bachelor's would not make any sense.

The truth is, you came on this thread with no sensitivity and little insight. I explained myself (which didn't even need to be done) and then you further pursue, showing that you have even less insight into the situation.

'Grats to you for whatever situation you are in that emboldened you to call us failures, but your posting on this thread spoke volumes about your character.

I've heard your voice in the mouths of plenty of others. As far as bad taste: grow a skin already. you're trying to become a lawyer!

Anyhow:

1. I never once said you HAD to become a psychology professor. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said the opposite in laying out alternatives.

2. Yes, you are not law professor material because you had a low LSAT. That's not mean. That's reality. Accept it. You are not a special snowflake.

3. JD's rarely "augment" other degrees or other career opportunities. Now I didn't say never, but it's certainly a "rarely." The idea that JD's open many doors is a misnomer.

4. I came to this thread with no sensitivity, you are right, but with a whole lot of insight, regardless if you want to keep ignoring it or not, and frankly future lawyers looking for sensitivity need to get a clue.

5. "Failures" referred to people failing to live up to their LSAT goals. I am included in this category from a few tests back. My entire point was that the "failures" here are only failures in one aspect - the LSAT - and that they should look into other career paths, using their failure as a positive avenue for change.

6. My character is just fine. If just one person rethinks their life, my post will have been productive, even if that person, after rethinking their life, decides to retake and still pursue law. It's better than blindly following the "you can do anything you want if you believe in it enough" mantra that seems to permeate most people today. Sometimes you can't, and a smart person knows when to adapt and change course.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:17 am

BeanTownBee wrote:

That would be the goal, and up until an hour ago I would have said absolutely.

My question was directed more toward what happens if my score (more realistically) stays relatively unchanged (+/-2) and I wait to send my apps until I get the Dec. results. Everything else staying the same, is there an advantage to applying earlier?

Thanks

Again, not to come off as an asshole for simply thinking practically, but I'd consider either moving on to a different career path or studying your ass off and waiting until the next cycle if your retake doesn't pan out dramatically different.

Korlath

Postby Korlath » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:20 am

James Bond wrote:
JurisDoctorate wrote:

I've heard your voice in the mouths of plenty of others. As far as bad taste: grow a skin already. you're trying to become a lawyer!

Anyhow:

1. I never once said you HAD to become a psychology professor. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said the opposite in laying out alternatives.

2. Yes, you are not law professor material because you had a low LSAT. That's not mean. That's reality. Accept it. You are not a special snowflake.

3. JD's rarely "augment" other degrees or other career opportunities. Now I didn't say never, but it's certainly a "rarely." The idea that JD's open many doors is a misnomer.

4. I came to this thread with no sensitivity, you are right, but with a whole lot of insight, regardless if you want to keep ignoring it or not, and frankly future lawyers looking for sensitivity need to get a clue.

5. "Failures" referred to people failing to live up to their LSAT goals. I am included in this category from a few tests back. My entire point was that the "failures" here are only failures in one aspect - the LSAT - and that they should look into other career paths, using their failure as a positive avenue for change.

6. My character is just fine. If just one person rethinks their life, my post will have been productive, even if that person, after rethinking their life, decides to retake and still pursue law. It's better than blindly following the "you can do anything you want if you believe in it enough" mantra that seems to permeate most people today. Sometimes you can't, and a smart person knows when to adapt and change course.

They told Justin Bieber he'd never make it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1kJiT8Y ... re=channel

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:21 am

James Bond: I can see that you are the type of person that I have no interest in conferring with or even associating with. Thank you for showing me that, so as not to waste any more of my time.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:28 am

JurisDoctorate wrote:James Bond: I can see that you are the type of person that I have no interest in conferring with or even associating with. Thank you for showing me that, so as not to waste any more of my time.

:roll:

A 150 something is bad enough. Couple it with denial and zero self reflection and you have a great triumvirate there.

To everyone else, I never once said not to go to law school. I just said to take this time to self reflect. I'm sure you'll find it works better than mindlessly "believing in yourself" and pressing forward, especially when each one of you has other options, they just might not be easy or pretty at first. Even if you decide to retake or apply with what you have, that self reflection could be what refocuses you.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:31 am

To everyone, I'm sorry that you didn't perform well on October 9th. Like I said earlier on this thread, tomorrow morning gives us six full weeks to prepare so we can guarantee we don't feel this way again.

Best of luck to everyone who will retake in December!

hscohen

Postby hscohen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:26 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
operaphantom2003 wrote:I don't know what the hell happened on mine....I scored a whole 26 points below my pt's. Not sure if I should retake or just give up all together.

Sounds like a misbubble, look at your chart when you see it and ask for a hand score if you see a discrepancy.

I also fear for a misbubble - what does LSAC do in such a situation? When do the PDFs come out?

DreamLaw

Postby DreamLaw » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:35 am

same score as you. im in shock, i know i did bad but i was still hoping to get in the 160's

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”