Support thread for those whose Earth has just been shattered

nphsbuckeye

Re: Support thread for those whose Earth has just been shattered

Postby nphsbuckeye » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:17 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
dihydrogenmonoxide wrote:I'm disappointed but trying to maintain perspective.

My last 3 PTs were 180, 178, 180. I got a 169.

I just have to realize that I can still get into a good school with that score, and ignore the doomsayers on this forum who think that anything other than Top 10% at HYS means no job prospects at all, ever.

I'm with you in the 169 score and i'm also with you on keeping perspective. It's just so tough because the difference between 169-170 seems like a huge gap. Basically, a 170 puts me in at places I want to go and a 169 almost shuts me out of everywhere i'd be happy to go. It's just so tough.

All over one point.

Agitprop

Postby Agitprop » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:44 am

I have been following this forum for a couple months now, but I have not posted until today. Unfortunately, my first post is concerned with reporting my shameful score of 158 after averaging in the high 160's. I have never... ever... hit anywhere as low as a 158 before.

I felt bad after taking the test, but like many of you I did not think that I could go lower than 160. Sucks. I have already registered for the December test. I mentally prepared myself for a disaster, which may have not been a good sign in the first place, but nevertheless I can honestly say that I do not feel terrible right now. I never stopped studying, and now that I have taken the test and crapped-out on it, the only way to go is up... I hope.

One thing I must say: this forum has been extremely valuable and I wish that I had paid attention to it earlier. I can see that I was not studying efficiently when I was practicing on my own, and I can also see that Kaplan was a waste of money (for me, at least) now that I have been using some other materials. My fault for being a bad consumer.

In any case, keep a stiff upper lip! There is always next time, and if we blow it twice (or thrice), then we can start with the major soul-searching. Shit happens, you know? If you were scoring well with your PT's and your October score totally sucked, don't take the latter as the final word. You have plenty of tests behind you that say you do have the ability to beat this thing. Don't even think about retake statistics and how more or less people in general improve from one test to the next. What matters is what you do about it and not what happens with the "average test taker." When you do have some evidence from test simulations that show you can make the score you want, thinking like this is not just mindless self-encouragement. But it is a call to find out what went so terribly wrong on the real thing.

If you all have not done so already, take a look at Pithypike's study guide, which is posted in this forum. After the test, I started using it and I am already feeling more confident. It is worth more than any $1000 Kaplan course, that is for sure. I don't know who Pithypike is, but if I am satisfied with my December score I am going to find out and send him/her a fruit basket or scented candles or something.

godel

Postby godel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:46 am

I've browsed this website occasionally over the past several months but never felt the urge to post. This thread, however, changed that.

I'm not a traditional applicant; I'm 30 years old and have been working/advancing my career since graduating with a degree in political theory in 02. I scored in the mid 160's cold, and through studying I improved my score a good bit. I scored in the low to mid 170's on the last few practice tests. This morning when I received my score, 161, I took it with a grain of salt. Its not that big a deal. I was hoping for higher, but right now there's no point in agonizing over it. According to law-school-predictor, with my score and GPA I won't have the highest score but I'll--at the very least--get noticed by the admissions board just about everywhere.

The way I see it is if someone has been admitted with similar scores previously that means my numbers are high enough to warrant a serious review of my application. And thats all you need. With a good application and interview you can make up for lower-than-you-hoped-for scores. I don't know anything about the other people on this thread, but I assume that most people are younger than I am and probably even still in college. I don't want to sound too much like the wise old uncle, but one thing that I've learned over the years since graduating is that passion and enthusiasm go a lot farther than you think. In fact they can make up for an awful lot.

Basically, my point is that if you aren't happy with your score retake the test. But know that most of the scores that people are complaining about are good enough to get your application read at almost every school. Concentrate on your application; set yourself apart; show enthusiasm and passion and you'll have a pretty good shot most places. A bad score on the LSAT isn't the end of the world, and certainly isn't going to have a huge impact on your life.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:04 pm

I also got a score that I'm not happy with, but at the same time I'm not psychologically floored because I know what I screwed up on.

My PT average was about 160-161. I had some prep tests where I got a 164-166 and others where I somehow got 154-155 too. Preptests 47 and 48 got me sub 155 scores even after three tries on them each.... I ended up with a 156 and 68 right but at least the reasons why I got questions wrong were confirmed.

I usually average -1 to -2 in Logic Games. I got a -7 in this section, which is an outlier. Never had any Logic Games section this bad ever. I was afraid that I did worse on this, but I didn't. Missed half of the questions in the last two logic games which caused me the most trouble. I don't know if I mentioned this to anyone before, but before the games section, I was given a verbal warning from a proctor that someone complained that I was breathing too hard right before the 4th section. This person sat two seats away from me and there was a girl sitting next to me literally. I asked the girl if she thought I was being a bit noisy, and she said no. Either way, I watched my breathing just to be safe, but I was SUPER PISSED. This feeling never left me for the rest of the test, though much of it went away after about half of the 4th section went by. Assuming I got only -1 in logic games instead of -7, I'd get 74 right, and get a 160 LSAT score which is my average.

I also got a -9 in the 5th section (the 2nd LR section), and I still felt pissed but not like the 4th section but I wasn't really the same.... I missed questions 24-26, and 24 wasn't that hard now that I look at it. Maybe there are some more of these easy questions I messed up on throughout the exam, but if I got let's say I got a -5 in Section 5, and a -1 in Section 4, that would mean (6 more right in games, 4 more right in the second LR section), that would give me a raw score of 78 and an LSAT of 162.

I'll go over these games and the test again. 100% sure on re-taking; 95% sure on re-taking in December.

thementor31337

Postby thementor31337 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:24 pm

I opened my email this morning and saw the score email. I was incredibly disappointed. My diagnostic was 158, and I was PT'in the mid to high 160's, then I score a 153 on the October LSAT. I've already registered for December, but boy did these results upset me. I felt good coming out of the test, but obviously they were misplaced feelings. I guess I can stop worrying about personal statements...

Oh...and my transcripts processed today as well...my LSDAS GPA is lower than what I was predicting...all because of grades I got 10 years ago...FML.
Last edited by thementor31337 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:35 pm

My cold diagnostic was in the high 160's. After 2 months of prep, 14 straight PTs at 170+, and an average PT score of 173, I ended up at 168.

Making it even worse is the fact that 5 of the 7 LR I missed were not even in discussion as being hard by this forum in the aftermath, and the fact that I missed 4 on the damn LG section when my average was between -0/-1.

Already signed up for December and a Knewton online course.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:13 pm

I've made a pretty good little narrative for myself and I'm starting to feel better.

Knowing my work ethic, I was actually hoping to either get what I needed or to bomb something fierce. Seeing as I didn't get the former, I'm glad that the latter happened. If I had gotten a 166, I would have just half-assed this next month and a half and there's no way I would have gotten a 170. Now that I have been firmly kicked in the teeth, I will be driven to study like I need to study.

I've always hoped for a dare to great situation; a true test where I really have to apply myself. Well, I got what I asked for and know we will see what I'm made of.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:16 pm

2014 wrote:My cold diagnostic was in the high 160's. After 2 months of prep, 14 straight PTs at 170+, and an average PT score of 173, I ended up at 168.

Making it even worse is the fact that 5 of the 7 LR I missed were not even in discussion as being hard by this forum in the aftermath, and the fact that I missed 4 on the damn LG section when my average was between -0/-1.

Already signed up for December and a Knewton online course.

I was averaging -1 to -3 on LR. I got a -9 on LR1 of the real thing. lol.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:30 pm

JenDarby wrote:I'm not so concerned that now my chances at HYS are shattered, more so about loss in potential scholarship money at lower ranked schools. I just can't decide if I am better off applying next week with my 168, or retaking in December and being on the late side.....

This.

I got a 167. 75% where I want to go is 164, but I don't think 167 is ENOUGH higher than that to warrant oodles of cash.
And without cash, I'm not going.
But I also think that there's a very good chance I'd do similarly on a retake, so I'm not sure there's a point. I've done better and I've done worse, but I didn't screw up anything I normally do really well on, and I didn't screw up anything I THOUGHT I did well on, I screwed up exactly what I thought I screwed up.
*sigh*

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:41 pm

was pt-ing at about 167-168 got a 158... needless to say, my world has been shattered. almost broke up with my gf today over the score. idk, life is sucking the fattest cock on earth right now. but I just registered for feb. and gonna get back on the horse now. its been almost a month with no lsat related activities, so the break might have helped a bit. I am determined to crush this fucking thing if its the last thing i do.

there is no point in applying and setteling for some lesser school if I know for a fact that i can do better on this test. god willing, i will.

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Wow, it's A-hole comments like JamesBonds' that made me doubt myself and walk away from this test the last two years. All I needed was a map of how to study and systemic study pattern which I didn't find until three months ago. I too got below my PT avg 165-167 (thanks, LG), but I'm still more than thrilled because I met my goal and got rid of these demons.

To those of you who feel like you could have done better or feel in hopeless pwnage by the LSAT testmakers: Do NOT give up. Also, Do NOT give the elitist A-holes the joy of stomping on your hopes and dreams or letting them mouth off about how so superior and intelligent they are as potential LS students and attorneys compared to you, how you won't be able to hack it, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. Pick yourself off of the floor, throw them the middle finger, and get back to the task at hand. If you work at it, you WILL get the score you want.

I know my 163 isn't impressive and for most here in this thread they'd probably go hang themselves or something with that score, but I keep things in perspective:

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:41 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Wow, it's A-hole comments like JamesBonds' that made me doubt myself and walk away from this test the last two years. All I needed was a map of how to study and systemic study pattern which I didn't find until three months ago. I too got below my PT avg 165-167 (thanks, LG), but I'm still more than thrilled because I met my goal and got rid of these demons.

To those of you who feel like you could have done better or feel in hopeless pwnage by the LSAT testmakers: Do NOT give up. Also, Do NOT give the elitist A-holes the joy of stomping on your hopes and dreams or letting them mouth off about how so superior and intelligent they are as potential LS students and attorneys compared to you, how you won't be able to hack it, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. Pick yourself off of the floor, throw them the middle finger, and get back to the task at hand. If you work at it, you WILL get the score you want.

I know my 163 isn't impressive and for most here in this thread they'd probably go hang themselves or something with that score, but I keep things in perspective:

wow, i'm really happy for you! huge ass jump. a lot to be proud of.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 pm

I took mine at villanova because I heard UD was a shithole... It that true?

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:58 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Wow, it's A-hole comments like JamesBonds' that made me doubt myself and walk away from this test the last two years. All I needed was a map of how to study and systemic study pattern which I didn't find until three months ago. I too got below my PT avg 165-167 (thanks, LG), but I'm still more than thrilled because I met my goal and got rid of these demons.

You met your goals and exercised your demons, that's always an impressive accomplishment. I'm glad that you're happy my friend! You were one of the cats I was following during prep :mrgreen:

Keeper1125

Postby Keeper1125 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 pm

This is a truly great accomplishment. Congratulations sir, and it should absolutely provide hope to those who are disappointed with their results.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:34 am

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Wow, it's A-hole comments like JamesBonds' that made me doubt myself and walk away from this test the last two years. Do NOT give up.

:roll:

Honestly I said use the opportunity for self reflection. Never once said don't retake.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 pm

The curve on this test was insane. I took my exam at an international location so I have no idea what I actually messed up, however I know it was 100% nerves that got the best of me. Retaking in June. 10 points below my practice score...

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Agitprop wrote:I have been following this forum for a couple months now, but I have not posted until today. Unfortunately, my first post is concerned with reporting my shameful score of 158 after averaging in the high 160's. I have never... ever... hit anywhere as low as a 158 before.

I felt bad after taking the test, but like many of you I did not think that I could go lower than 160. Sucks. I have already registered for the December test. I mentally prepared myself for a disaster, which may have not been a good sign in the first place, but nevertheless I can honestly say that I do not feel terrible right now. I never stopped studying, and now that I have taken the test and crapped-out on it, the only way to go is up... I hope.

One thing I must say: this forum has been extremely valuable and I wish that I had paid attention to it earlier. I can see that I was not studying efficiently when I was practicing on my own, and I can also see that Kaplan was a waste of money (for me, at least) now that I have been using some other materials. My fault for being a bad consumer.

In any case, keep a stiff upper lip! There is always next time, and if we blow it twice (or thrice), then we can start with the major soul-searching. Shit happens, you know? If you were scoring well with your PT's and your October score totally sucked, don't take the latter as the final word. You have plenty of tests behind you that say you do have the ability to beat this thing. Don't even think about retake statistics and how more or less people in general improve from one test to the next. What matters is what you do about it and not what happens with the "average test taker." When you do have some evidence from test simulations that show you can make the score you want, thinking like this is not just mindless self-encouragement. But it is a call to find out what went so terribly wrong on the real thing.

If you all have not done so already, take a look at Pithypike's study guide, which is posted in this forum. After the test, I started using it and I am already feeling more confident. It is worth more than any $1000 Kaplan course, that is for sure. I don't know who Pithypike is, but if I am satisfied with my December score I am going to find out and send him/her a fruit basket or scented candles or something.

Same here, buddy. I received a 157 and had never once gotten lower than a 163. I was averaging in the upper 160's with a solid 169 before taking the exam.

Agitprop

Postby Agitprop » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:51 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:[Same here, buddy. I received a 157 and had never once gotten lower than a 163. I was averaging in the upper 160's with a solid 169 before taking the exam.

Sorry to hear that, guy. Good luck in June. I already signed-up to retake in December, but I am wondering if I should give myself more time and apply next year.

Same as you, my nerves just totally got to me. I missed 16 on LG alone and made dumbass mistakes on the other sections. Sheeeeeeyit. I wish they gave you a cigarette break after each section on the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”