Need some Reassurance

jets098

Need some Reassurance

Postby jets098 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

I started studying in June and spent 15 hours or so a week for the 4 months leading up to the lsat. I felt comfortable and really thought I knew what I was getting myself into. My last 9 or so practice tests were over 162 with my highest being 2 days before the test at 167.

Just got my result and ended up with a 159. I was very overwhelmed with studying (as i know most are) and I can't imagine going through it again in November. Has anybody else been in a similar circumstance where their test day score was so much lower than practice tests/expectations. I am really not feeling great about this right now and can't imagine having to start studying again. Thanks.

exit22

Re: Need some Reassurance

Postby exit22 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Don't let TLS bring you down. My first test was a 159, and I still scored better than most people I know. TLS is just a very unrepresentative sample.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:44 pm

jets526 wrote:I started studying in June and spent 15 hours or so a week for the 4 months leading up to the lsat. I felt comfortable and really thought I knew what I was getting myself into. My last 9 or so practice tests were over 162 with my highest being 2 days before the test at 167.

Just got my result and ended up with a 159. I was very overwhelmed with studying (as i know most are) and I can't imagine going through it again in November. Has anybody else been in a similar circumstance where their test day score was so much lower than practice tests/expectations. I am really not feeling great about this right now and can't imagine having to start studying again. Thanks.

Being so overwhelmed on test day may have well contributed to not doing as well as you were scoring in practice. The LSAT is a psychological test...if you do decide to take it in December, I would recommend not studying at a crazy intense pace.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Yup, the exact same thing happened to me in June. I also got a 159. I did independent study, and I was testing 166-170 before test day. Just took October test, so we'll see how I did. I think I did a lot better. Give it another go... I know it's lots of work, but think of the payoff in the grand scheme of things! I took Testmasters the second time around. Definitely recommend it. Good luck. :-)

Laker89

Postby Laker89 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:47 pm

My average PT was 166, I took a proctored practice test (Kaplan) at my exact testing center the saturday, before got a 168.. and got a 160 tonight. So my expectations were higher.. but..

I won't be studying for December and I'll probably keep this score. I'm also not the average TLS user, I'd be one of those "Lurkers" since I'm not T14 material but the resources on this site have been helpful in writing my PS and in prepping so I've stuck around. Don't let it get you down.. you did better than 80% of the people in your testing center.

IJMer

Postby IJMer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 pm

I also got a 159 and had been testing in the 160’s before I took it. I actually just posted a “what are my chances?” post and am not receiving very helpful feedback. I am pretty sure that I will take it again in December but trying to keep my head up :)

This is what I posted there:

American U is my #1 choice so I am applying ED.

I just received my LSAT score of 159, which is not too great, but still in their range. My undergraduate GPA is a 3.67 from Baylor University but my LSAC GPA is a 3.54.

I have really great softs and recommendations. I am a Truman Scholarship Finalist, Founder and President of the human rights (IJM) campus chapter at Baylor, and am presenting my undergraduate research at a Yale conference next month. I have had 2 Department of State Internships and am being published in a Baylor collection of essays about student leaders.
Any feedback??

Take it again and the nerves will not affect you as much. I am there with you :)

jets098

Postby jets098 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:18 pm

I think I'm just going to take it again in December even with the studying. I'm not gonna go crazy through November with studying because I know I have the ability to get over a 165. Now that I have taken it I hope I can go in more comfortable. My school that I need to be able to get into is Rutgers-Newark and I was really hoping to come away with a score this time which let me get in there (i'm on the fence.) Maybe after December I will come away with more options.

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:58 pm

161 here, with a 165 average on PTs. I'm sticking with it, even though I was expecting more. I also fit the mold of Laker89 and completely agree that TLS is a terribly unrepresentative sample.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:08 pm

same boat. this curve is fking poop

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:13 pm

pretty much same with me. testing around 162-165 and got 160 on oct. not happy but wont retake probably

alexanderhamilton

Postby alexanderhamilton » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Same with me and I'm somewhat relieved I'm not the only one, I started practicing in the summer and in my PLSAT I got a 153, and after the first month I generally scored in 163+ usually around 166-173. Got my results and it was a 160, have to be honest pretty disappointed and not sure if I want to retake or can put up with it again.

Spack

Postby Spack » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:44 pm

TLS is making me FURIOUS. It's kind of like a select few who happen to be good test takers and master this test crush the hopes of people who aren't like them. A 160 isn't a terrible score and doesn't mean that you won't go to law school. Does it mean you probably won't go to a T14, yes. Does it mean that you won't get into a T50, maybe. Try to keep in mind that only 10% of people get scores of 165+ and this is an unrepresentative sample! A 160 is better than the VAST majority of people who take the test. Keep your head up. Retake or don't retake. You'll go to law school and there are plenty of wonderful schools that will accept your score and look at you for you and not just a stupid standardized test. *end rant*

emseeaych

Postby emseeaych » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Spack wrote:A 160 isn't a terrible score and doesn't mean that you won't go to law school. Does it mean you probably won't go to a T14, yes. Does it mean that you won't get into a T50, maybe. Try to keep in mind that only 10% of people get scores of 165+ and this is an unrepresentative sample! A 160 is better than the VAST majority of people who take the test. Keep your head up. Retake or don't retake. You'll go to law school and there are plenty of wonderful schools that will accept your score and look at you for you and not just a stupid standardized test. *end rant*

+1

Korlath

Postby Korlath » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:03 am

I'm on the same boat...pulled a 158. Don't know if I can go through it again.... :(

JDWannabe

Postby JDWannabe » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:35 am

Hey everyone,

I'm new here but I've been lurking for awhile; I've been a bit hesitant to post because I'm not aiming for 170+ like most TLSers. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread with other "mortals" like myself. I got a 160, a significant improvement over my really low diagnostic of 141. After getting a 163 on my last preptest though, I really think I could've scored higher. I was so inundated with schoolwork that my studying leading up to the exam was far from ideal (a few practice questions here and there, only 2 full-length tests from the beginning of Sept to test day). I did take a Princeton Review course over the summer so I did a fair amount of prep then. I'm just wondering if a 165 is feasible or if I'm wasting my time by trying to improve a score that's already 19 points higher than my diagnostic. If I do retake, I'll take the June 2011 test so I'll have a solid month to set aside solely for intense LSAT studying.

Feel free to impart any words of wisdom my fellow high 150s/low 160s scorers. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to LSAT Prep and Law Schools so any advice would be appreciated.

Laker89

Postby Laker89 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:08 am

I had the horrible experimental reading comp section first and a scored reading comp right after. My mind was....exhausted after those first two sections and my 3rd section (logical reasoning) suffered because of it. Tonight after numerous drinks I've been able to rationalize this as why my score was so much lower than my practice tests.

There are factors we can't control every time we take this test. Accepting this fact, i've become content with my score. :roll:

Better a bad test order than a marching band rehearsal outside my testing room window... happened to me the first test I had expunged from LSAC. I left during the break that day.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:13 am

Spack wrote:TLS is making me FURIOUS. It's kind of like a select few who happen to be good test takers and master this test crush the hopes of people who aren't like them. A 160 isn't a terrible score and doesn't mean that you won't go to law school. Does it mean you probably won't go to a T14, yes. Does it mean that you won't get into a T50, maybe. Try to keep in mind that only 10% of people get scores of 165+ and this is an unrepresentative sample! A 160 is better than the VAST majority of people who take the test. Keep your head up. Retake or don't retake. You'll go to law school and there are plenty of wonderful schools that will accept your score and look at you for you and not just a stupid standardized test. *end rant*

Reading about someone with a 175+ doesn't make me furious, but reading someone complain about a 175+ and not getting a 180 is definitely frustrating.

downing

Postby downing » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:17 am

I wouldn't fret too much, as most schools these days don't average and take the highest score. I took the test in June and got a 159. I took it again on Oct 10th and just received my score of 165. It's decent enough to get into a few of the law schools I'm interested in with my GPA. The 6 point gain made all the difference according to all the stats I've been looking at and predictors I've been using.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:18 am

I had the same result... but when i studied the second time, it was a lot easier. I was a amazed at how determined I was studying the second time. Let a couple days pass to cope with and then get your studying gear on and let's pwn the next lsat.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”