Don't Panic, It Will Be Okay Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Nonok

Bronze

Re: Don't Panic, It Will Be Okay

Post by Nonok » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:37 pm

existenz wrote:
Nonok wrote:OP. What was your GPA and Final LSAT Score if you dont mind me asking? With my 3.02 GPA I don't feel like I can get any $$$$ at the T14 but I'd like to dream!
With that GPA you're in a tough spot. You could get into NU by ED'ing if you have work experience, but you'll still need a 170+ LSAT. Probably won't get much if any money though.

I had a 3.8/170. Among the T14 I got into Mich, Duke, NU, GULC, Cornell all with $$. I'm convinced my late app is the only reason I didn't get into Berkeley.

Also, thanks NR. I didn't know I was being an asshole but I guess the Lounge distorts one's sense of propriety. :lol:
Thats what I figured. Stupid GPA!

spark1330

New

Post by spark1330 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:38 pm

existenz wrote:Dear 0Ls: this time last year I was like you, eagerly awaiting my score. When scores were posted, people were raving about how they scored 170, 175, 180, etc. Seemed like everyone who posted got 170+.

Then my score came and it was in the LOW 160s. My heart sank, my stomach sank, and I didn't even bother posting my score on TLS. Hell I didn't even sign up for a TLS account because I was too depressed to jump into the conversation.

Instead I registered for the December test, I stepped up my game on study habits and methods, I grabbed that 170+ score in December, and now I'm at the University of Michigan with a hefty scholly despite sending my apps in December.

So whatever happens today, it's not the end of the world. A bad score hurts your chances at schools that average scores, but you can still have a great cycle with a retake. My advice would be to send in your apps as soon as possible even if you will be retaking.

Also, no matter what some people might say, retaking is the correct response if your score is under 170 (or whatever your target is) and you really think you should have done better. I don't know anyone who was hurt by a retake, but I know plenty who were helped immensely (including myself).

Good luck.

May I please ask how you studied differently when retaking in December?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 pm

poor kids. i remember too vividly playing the "refresh refresh refresh" game. all three times.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:45 pm

spark1330 wrote:May I please ask how you studied differently when retaking in December?
For my Oct test I only studied a few weeks and I hadn't studied any of the newer tests. Most of my studying involved doing prep tests while studying the Bibles.

For the retake I actually read Pithypike's advice. I also began cutting out the LR problems that I missed and kept them almost like flashcards. Do that enough and you'll see patterns that are tripping you up, and you'll start to see the little tricks that are throwing you off track.

For LG I just started doing more of them and finding better strategies. For RC I began writing brief synopses (a few words at most) beside each paragraph. This allowed me to read closer and to be able to find key parts quicker while answering questions.

spark1330

New

Post by spark1330 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:48 pm

existenz wrote:
spark1330 wrote:May I please ask how you studied differently when retaking in December?
For my Oct test I only studied a few weeks and I hadn't studied any of the newer tests. Most of my studying involved doing prep tests while studying the Bibles.

For the retake I actually read Pithypike's advice. I also began cutting out the LR problems that I missed and kept them almost like flashcards. Do that enough and you'll see patterns that are tripping you up, and you'll start to see the little tricks that are throwing you off track.

For LG I just started doing more of them and finding better strategies. For RC I began writing brief synopses (a few words at most) beside each paragraph. This allowed me to read closer and to be able to find key parts quicker while answering questions.
Thank you so much for your detailed response!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 pm

spark1330 wrote:Thank you so much for your detailed response!!!!
:wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”