Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:In any case, you and I got the same answer. It was the smallest logical leap, but it was still pretty significant, I say.


So what if it was, if all of the other answers were worse? That's how it works. Problem solved.

58932ugahoige
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:23 am

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby 58932ugahoige » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 pm

There is a reason it caused so much controversy.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby 3|ink » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:There is a reason it caused so much controversy.


Yeah. People were pissed they missed such an easy question.

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby Sinra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:There is a reason it caused so much controversy.



Yeah people were kicking themselves that they overthought such a straightforward question.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 pm

So can we actually talk about these things once the real scores come out, or how does that work?

When people ask for help on specific problems on older tests, we can at least say

"it was b, because the stem said this and the CR said that"

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby Sinra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:29 pm

dhrizek wrote:So can we actually talk about these things once the real scores come out, or how does that work?

When people ask for help on specific problems on older tests, we can at least say

"it was b, because the stem said this and the CR said that"


nope. Not until they're released.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:34 pm

You mean released as in... PT 61 released or "OMG OMG OMG the pdfs are up" released?

amkid100
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby amkid100 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:41 pm

i'm gonna go on the record and predict that this question was thrown out. wishful thinking, i'm sure, bc i got it wrong.

thx for posting this in the lead-up to score release bc it brought me back to reality that i prob didn't break 175.

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby Sinra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:44 pm

dhrizek wrote:You mean released as in... PT 61 released or "OMG OMG OMG the pdfs are up" released?


As in when it's available for purchase. Officially released. It's not released to the public when you get your score and pdfs.

nireca
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby nireca » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Shmuckluk wrote:There was an assumption that had to be made to get to that answer. We all know that presuming something without justification is a flaw in reasoning.


Perhaps you should re-read the question stem when it comes out today. The question stem left room for assumptions. There's a difference between 'What is most supported?' and 'What can reasonably be inferred?'

Did I just cross the line?


No idea, but your point about the question stem is, I think critical to the whole debate and I haven't seen it before. Well done.


I don't remember this question but I think this guy gets it. A question which asks "What is most supported" requires that the correct answer choice receive more support from the stim than any of the other ACs. That being said, it doesn't have to be implied directly, it simply has to receive the most support. A question which asks "What can reasonably be inferred," on the other hand, requires the test-taker to make a deduction based on the information provided in the stim. This is all spelled out in the LSAT Super-Prep book produced by LSAC.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Oct test had a question in LR that did use outside knowledge

Postby Ragged » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:50 pm

No. Shut up. Just shut up.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help, Lahtso Nuggin, StopLawying, tracy9524 and 7 guests