Taking the LSAT in Dec, this forum has been helpful

KJ_12

Taking the LSAT in Dec, this forum has been helpful

Postby KJ_12 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:25 pm

I have been reading this forum for the past week and I thank those of you who have contributed helpful posts in regards to studying and preparing for the LSAT's.

I had originally decided to take the test in October but I could only devote about 2 solid weeks of studying (I naively thought that was enough time). I rescheduled to take the test December.

I picked up the LG & LR Powerscore Bibles and even though i'm about halfway through each, i feel they have really helped me in understanding and dissecting the different questions and language used in the test. I've also picked up about 8 of the most recent official LSAT prep tests.

Problems i've encounted (I am not the type of person to not make excuses so please do not take this in that way):
-I took 2 LSAT tests before attempting any sort of studying and that really hurt my confidence and instead of motivating me it did the opposite and put off any type of studying or test taking for a few weeks
-Working full time, trying to maintain a social life and relationship hasn't been the easiest of things
-I still find it hard to shut myself off from the outside world to fully delve into studying (living in Manhattan with 2 of my former college roommates make it easily for me to get distracted).
-My company is sending me to Europe for almost 2 weeks in November (again not a complaint) so that's another 2 weeks of no study time.

I have found it better for me to head directly to the library for a few hours after work instead of trying to study at home.

3|ink

Re: Taking the LSAT in Dec, this forum has been helpful

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:27 pm

You won't have any opportunity to study while in Europe?

KJ_12

Postby KJ_12 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Also, just a little background on myself. I'm 28 and hoping to attend law school part time in the evenings.

3|ink wrote:You won't have any opportunity to study while in Europe?

I will, but not much.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Need two things:

1.) What's your best score?
2.) What are you aiming for?

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Work, social life, relationships and LSAT studying are hard to maintain all at once. Let your friends/significant other know that your hermitage will be temporary. Every spare minute can be filled with study - lunch break, flights, commute (if not driving), TV relaxing time. No one ever said this was going to be easy or convenient.

KJ_12

Postby KJ_12 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:36 pm

NonTradHealthLaw, I completely agree with what you wrote and I need to stop making excuses for not studying as much as I want to.

3|ink wrote:Need two things:

From my understanding on the 2 I took I scored around a 152.
I want to score in the 160 range.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:40 pm

KJ_12 wrote:NonTradHealthLaw, I completely agree with what you wrote and I need to stop making excuses for not studying as much as I want to.

160 is a big range. If you're aiming for upper 160s, I'd put the LSAT off until you have time to adequately prepare. If you're looking for 164 or less, you may stand a chance. It depends on your rate of improvement in the coming weeks. If you're not scoring in the upper 150s within a week, I'd defer to February or whenever you can.

KJ_12

Postby KJ_12 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:47 pm

3|ink wrote:
KJ_12 wrote:NonTradHealthLaw, I completely agree with what you wrote and I need to stop making excuses for not studying as much as I want to.

160 is a big range. If you're aiming for upper 160s, I'd put the LSAT off until you have time to adequately prepare. If you're looking for 164 or less, you may stand a chance. It depends on your rate of improvement in the coming weeks. If you're not scoring in the upper 150s within a week, I'd defer to February or whenever you can.

Realistically, i'm hoping for a 162. The schools i'm looking at (and can actually afford) have said that the average LSAT score of their applicants is a 155. I would be happy with any score above that. Also, I am banking on early admission for next fall so I think the February test would not do me any good even if I score a few points higher.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”