What am I doing wrong? - Need some serious help.

gambelda

What am I doing wrong? - Need some serious help.

Postby gambelda » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:29 pm

I have studied and studied and studied. I have pushed back my October LSAT to December and finally felt like I was making improvement. I was taking the old exams and scoring consistent 165-166. Stupid mistakes were keeping me from a 170 easy.

Now I try taking the new exams and I'm getting destroyed. 161-162. The first time I ever took an LSAT baseline was a 162 10 months ago. I got a job and ended up putting off studying til August. I recently took that same test again after 2 months of studying and scored exactly the same. Just took September 2007 and scored a 161 (-5 LR/-2LG/-8LR/-8RC)

I was so pissed off that I threw my testmasters book against the wall until it split into 4 pieces. I have no idea what to do. I've taken 14-15 preptests, and I'm not improving at all. LR and RC are destroying me and I dont understand why I'm struggling so much in these newer exams.

Took an absence in October. Quite honestly, I feel so physically sick that I'm about to just say f*&^ it all and quit. I HATE the job I am in (fortune 500) and I know I want to go to law school badly. I pulled a 3.92 GPA from Michigan State and anything less than top 10 law schools is failure. I don't want to be in the job I am in anymore but I can't leave it in this economy unless I can get into law school and there's no point going to law school if I can't get into the top 10.

Any advice on how to improve or understand why I have this huge discrepancy would be great...

sojuteacher

Re: What am I doing wrong? - Need some serious help.

Postby sojuteacher » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:00 am

I too had a pretty big drop when I started doing the more recent PTs. Went from a 178 on PT # well I forget to a 166 on PT51 the next day only about a week before the June test. I had to take the October test.

The newer ones are a bit different, but once I relaxed and analyzed every answer I got wrong, I spotted the mistakes I was making on LR and RC and easily corrected them.

Id suggest the same thing. Relax and analyze why you are getting these answers wrong. You will recognize the traps you fall for, the stupid mistakes you make that repeat, and your scores should eventually improve.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:02 am

Recent LR and RC are just more vicious.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:05 am

gambelda wrote:I have studied and studied and studied. I have pushed back my October LSAT to December and finally felt like I was making improvement. I was taking the old exams and scoring consistent 165-166. Stupid mistakes were keeping me from a 170 easy.

Now I try taking the new exams and I'm getting destroyed. 161-162. The first time I ever took an LSAT baseline was a 162 10 months ago. I got a job and ended up putting off studying til August. I recently took that same test again after 2 months of studying and scored exactly the same. Just took September 2007 and scored a 161 (-5 LR/-2LG/-8LR/-8RC)

I was so pissed off that I threw my testmasters book against the wall until it split into 4 pieces. I have no idea what to do. I've taken 14-15 preptests, and I'm not improving at all. LR and RC are destroying me and I dont understand why I'm struggling so much in these newer exams.

Took an absence in October. Quite honestly, I feel so physically sick that I'm about to just say f*&^ it all and quit. I HATE the job I am in (fortune 500) and I know I want to go to law school badly. I pulled a 3.92 GPA from Michigan State and anything less than top 10 law schools is failure. I don't want to be in the job I am in anymore but I can't leave it in this economy unless I can get into law school and there's no point going to law school if I can't get into the top 10.

Any advice on how to improve or understand why I have this huge discrepancy would be great...

There is no such thing as a stupid mistake. If you're not progressing it's because you're falling into traps. You have to do a thorough post-mortem of each exam, analyzing in detail why you got each question wrong and trying to figure out how you can avoid doing so in the future. Try and find patterns in the mistakes you make.

Also, get the LR and RC Bibles from PowerScore and go through them carefully.

If you got a 162 diagnostic you should be able to pull a 170+ but you need to change your study plan.

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 am

Also, how much have you been studying? Maybe you need a break. Take a few days off. Smell the flowers. Then, when you're rested, come back to your prep with a fresh outlook and RIP THAT TEST APART.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 am

I scored 7 points BELOW my diagnostic on PT60.
It takes lots of experience and knowledge to adapt to the 53+ tests in the limited number of shots you have. Some of the tests will just not fit you. (55 and 60, two very distinct PTs in terms of difficulty and style, were my least favorite)
You say you've taken 14-15 PTs. I do NOT consider this a large number. I personally went through about 40 PTs to reach the point where I am (PT60 was I believe my 37th or 38th PT). If you have the time, I would recommend you do the same.

You're still missing enough to have at least one question type on both LR and RC that is still consistently messing with you. Drill the RC type you need, and see if you can't find a way to work LR in a way that might be more geared for the way you think. (I cracked assumption problems once I started diagramming those...)

The mistakes happen, but you can also minimize those by doing everything you can to maintain focus. I don't make any excuses for my lower scores, but for both PT60 and PT55 (-7 and +1 compared to diagnostic, respectively) I was not in a great thinking mood.
If you are one of those people who needs the pressure to really simulate a real test, do it. Go to a library or have somebody sit and time you and stare at you with mild concealed disdain. Get so used to it that you don't even think about it, and FOCUS. I personally need to be very calm to focus well, but you do what you have to. (As such, I made a CD for my drive there that consisted of nothing but soothing music...worked perfectly.)

If you feel comfortable with the question types in general, take AS MANY tests as you can without burning yourself out. (This might mean one a day, one every other day, two a week, whatever.) Use the older tests - build your confidence, find your testing limit, go for it as much as you can. You probably will break down at least once - in these cases, you will obviously need to take breaks. The recovery will strengthen both your mind and your confidence.

With a 3.92, it sounds like you'd only need around a 166 or 167 to get into some T10s. If you've already been scoring 165-166 consistently, you can certainly grab another 2-3 points on your PT averages just by doing these things over and over and over again.

Then again I may be completely wrong about how you work so this may not be helpful

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:26 am

I've taken 14-15 preptests, and I'm not improving at all

This is why you fail...

In all seriousness, that number of preptests does not indicate a ton of studying. I know you have a job and limited assets, but how long have you been studying to only have taken 14 preptests? I was taking 5 tests a week the month before my test, and doing a ton of extra stuff in areas I needed improvement. ALL that said, here is what I say-

As a professional, I suggest you treat the LSAT like you would a job.

1) If you had a department responsible for many different tasks, and you noticed overall department productivity was down, what is a better use of time for you as department head? Getting your hands dirty and just helping get more work done, or analyzing the detailed workflow to find shortfalls? Obviously the latter. So do this. Go back through your most recent 5 tests, or even back further. Detail exactly what KIND of question you are missing, look for patterns. IF you still need help after that, post here or PM me to help come up with an attack plan based on the metrics.

2) If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got. SO realize your current plan of attack is failing to meet your goals and be willing to switch it up. See if you can get a hold of unmarked Kaplan books that break down questions into type (Kaplan Mastery) and get ahold of as many preptests as possible. Start mixing things up. Instead of having to steal 4 hours to even be able to practice, do one section at a time and then ANALYZE that section in detail after, see what questions you are still missing and why.

3) If time isn't a huge issue, then occasionally don't time a section and instead, after each answer that you aren't 100% on, write down a note of why you aren't 100% and why you chose the answer you did. You will find that on these unsure questions there are patterns of why we answer wrong consistently. I know I was making a single mental error over and over again on LR and missing 2-4 each section. I corrected that one error and I rarely miss any. Sometimes you have to spend time on the non-urgent tasks to optimize.

4) Realign your expectations with reality. Why a top 10 school? Prestige? Job prospectus? Do you really think you are going to enjoy a biglaw job more than your current toil? Is it the prestige? How friends and family will look at you? Really ask yourself what you want out of the next 10 years, but be honest. Because if it is "a good legal career in a midwest market" or something like that, you are being crazy with your self-expectations.

5) Sharpen the saw. Spend your time fixing the specific challenges you are having that should become evident with 1-4 (yes, this includes personal stuff). Write down the specifics, write out a specific plan. Act. Revise. Act.

So how does all this look in practice? Here is an example:

-After analyzing the last 5 tests, you begin to see a pattern of struggling to answer parallel questions, matching LG and Author's opinion RC questions. Also, it seems that you tend to drop a few LR questions that you really shouldn't in the middle of the sections, and you tend to miss a few stupid ones on the first LG.
- You separate tasks out- you get a bunch of pattern LRs and matching LGs. You also start beginning your day by reading the WSJ and trying to figure out the authors opinion on each boring article. You go back and redo all the parallel LRs you missed, then read the explanations. Then you get the LGs you struggled on, redo those after reading the explanations. Yes, you'll know what the right answers are from history, but try and focus on how you get there. Repetition will really change the way think about these problems, and will create accuracy and speed.
- You might still have trouble in one of those areas of weakness, and so you go to the board here and ask about strategy for those types of questions and explain HOW you currently think about them. Try some different approaches.
- As you continue to answer questions either in timed sections or timed entire tests, keep analyzing what questions you are missing. Its an extra 20 minutes to keep track in excel of what kinds of questions you are missing, and remember to be smart about it. Don't just count the number, but rather how many in how many. So maybe you miss 5/40 assumptions but 3/10 parallel. clearly parallel is a bigger issue. BUT also clearly there are more assumption questions so you need to take care of that as well.

I think I've thrown enough stuff at you.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 am

Adjudicator wrote:Recent LR and RC are just more vicious.

disagree about LR. the content might be a bit more complex, but i find the choices much less vague.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:31 am

No idea what you're doing wrong. But take heart! If 3.92 is your LSDAS GPA, you have a decent shot at UVA with ED, provided that your LSAT is over 160. So, you're not out of the top ten even if you can't make it to 170. And congrats on doing awesome in college.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 am

Quality, not quantity. The number of practice tests taken is not the main problem-- understanding your mistakes & how to correct them is, however. You need to use materials, or take a prep course, that offers insights & a system for analyzing & solving LSAT test questions.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:54 am

rayiner wrote:Also, get the LR and RC Bibles from PowerScore and go through them carefully.

If you got a 162 diagnostic you should be able to pull a 170+ but you need to change your study plan.

I have both, and have been through each twice. Games is generally not an issue. -0 to -2 at most. I believe I should be -0 all the time if I can work out a few minor kinks. Fully agree that a change in study plan is needed.

alphagamma wrote:Also, how much have you been studying? Maybe you need a break. Take a few days off. Smell the flowers. Then, when you're rested, come back to your prep with a fresh outlook and RIP THAT TEST APART.

I study 1 hour or so each day after work (I work 7:30 to 7:30). This usually consists of me doing 2 sections of a preptest one day, the next 2 sections the following day, then reviewing all 4 sections the next day and on weekends I hammer out a practice test one day then review it the next day.
I am also training for an ironman which takes some time out of the day on weekends. I may cut down on that until after the LSAT in December.
incompetentia wrote:

You're still missing enough to have at least one question type on both LR and RC that is still consistently messing with you. Drill the RC type you need, and see if you can't find a way to work LR in a way that might be more geared for the way you think. (I cracked assumption problems once I started diagramming those...)

I've noticed that I tend to do miss questions that I have trouble understanding (have to read over once or twice) and that are more difficult to visualize in my head. i.e. Parallel reasoning questions that are difficult to diagram. I think you're onto something about fixing certain question types so that I discover the best way to approach them for my own brain. I've noticed that usually in these instances, I attempt to diagram the logic, fail at doing so, eliminate 2-3 answers and go with the one that "just sounds more correct" Clearly, this strategy is moronic at best.
---------
RemnantofIsrael, you make a lot of good points. I will certainly take you up on your offer if I don’t improve and it’s getting too close to the test date. Do you think that sitting with someone else (a lawyer friend of mind) on weekends and talking him through why I selected certain answers would help me? I did this last week with a student from Georgetown Law and realized that often when I said “here’s why this one is wrong” and “here’s why I selected this answer” I often saw that the answer I chose seemed really stupid and I didn’t understand why I had chosen it. The correct answer seemed much more clear
Remnantofisrael wrote:4) Realign your expectations with reality. Why a top 10 school? Prestige? Job prospectus? Do you really think you are going to enjoy a biglaw job more than your current toil? Is it the prestige? How friends and family will look at you? Really ask yourself what you want out of the next 10 years, but be honest. Because if it is "a good legal career in a midwest market" or something like that, you are being crazy with your self-expectations.

Top 10 law school because I am certainly capable of it. I am heavily considering public interest law and I have heard from a number of individuals that in order to make big impacts in this field, you have to have come from a respected institution and done very well. That's not to say I can't graduate from somewhere else and still make large impacts, but if I want to pursue change in some of our government systems for the betterment of public safety, health, etc. then it is much easier to do so with a degree from, as an example, Harvard than a school ranked in the 50's-60's or even the 20's.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:58 am

gambelda wrote:Top 10 law school because I am certainly capable of it. I am heavily considering public interest law and I have heard from a number of individuals that in order to make big impacts in this field, you have to have come from a respected institution and done very well. That's not to say I can't graduate from somewhere else and still make large impacts, but if I want to pursue change in some of our government systems for the betterment of public safety, health, etc. then it is much easier to do so with a degree from, as an example, Harvard than a school ranked in the 50's-60's or even the 20's.

Jezuz, the I want to change the world mentality is excruciating and unrealistic, even from harvard. The most likely outcome is you'll end up in a biglaw corporate job like the one you have now or not practice at all. The types of jobs that make an "impact" in PI are the types of jobs you get when you are top 5 in your class at yale.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:14 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
gambelda wrote:Top 10 law school because I am certainly capable of it. I am heavily considering public interest law and I have heard from a number of individuals that in order to make big impacts in this field, you have to have come from a respected institution and done very well. That's not to say I can't graduate from somewhere else and still make large impacts, but if I want to pursue change in some of our government systems for the betterment of public safety, health, etc. then it is much easier to do so with a degree from, as an example, Harvard than a school ranked in the 50's-60's or even the 20's.

Jezuz, the I want to change the world mentality is excruciating and unrealistic, even from harvard. The most likely outcome is you'll end up in a biglaw corporate job like the one you have now or not practice at all. The types of jobs that make an "impact" in PI are the types of jobs you get when you are top 5 in your class at yale.

Why does "making an impact" equate to "change the world". I'd be more interested in pushing public defender programs across the country since that is an area that is extremely lacking in resources. That type of work certainly does not change the world, but it does make an impact in a much needed area.

The problem in this country is that people assume lack of jobs in a certain field means you can't get a job in that field. People lack the creativity and innovation to CREATE their own jobs. I have a friend who took his undergrad from Yale, his masters from harvard and said I'm going to CREATE my own job by forming a search fund.

What prevents someone with a law degree from doing something similar and forming a non-profit to push and revamp public defender programs? It doesn't have to be big, it can start small with the goal of expansion.

Using your logic, anyone that wants to make a change that is difficult to make should simply just give up. I guess MLK should have just given up as well?

My point is that people and institutions in general, are much more likely to support something being run by a person with a better background (schools attended, etc). Why has only 1 supreme court justice come from Northwestern? It's a damned good school.....but instead the country chooses yale, harvard, etc. grads.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:31 am

^^^ TL:DR

But if you want to do PI and are happy with Public defender programs then go to the best school you can go to for the least amount of money in the city you want to work in. Don't pay sticker for Michigan if you want to be a public defender and hate michigan. And TBF, you said you want to pursue change in government systems, which isn't going to happen from any PI job outside of something like the ACLU, which you aren't getting, unless you are top 5 at HYS.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:47 am

I understand your hopes and dreams and all that. But Patriot is right. Even IF you go to yale, its not a high likelihood you'll be changing the world anytime soon. ALSO your more likely to get into PI down the road, and more likely to get a good job graduating top 10% at Georgetown then middle of the pack at Penn.

All that said, no one is saying you shouldn't strive for a 175+ and go to the best damn school out there. What people are saying is you can't let that define you entirely. IF that is the only path that is better than your current situation, study like crazy, take a class that focuses on 165 scorers and above, work hard, and if you flub the test in December, wait till next cycle and work one more year. If working an extra year in a job you don't like isn't worth it, law school and the toil of the early profession is not a good direction.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 am

I'm just saying I think people go to the extreme when they consider that someone says they want to make an impact. I think I'd like to use my business undergrad with a law degree to work corporate for 2-3 years, pay back my debt, and then delve into different realms such as public interest law - I used the public defender example because it is an area in which I am particularly interested an believe there is deep room for improvement.

Again, Making that change does not require a degree from a certain institution or even a higher ranking within your graduating class. Those things make it EASIER, but are not required. You can enact change and do great things in government without even having a law degree. So I'm not exactly sure why people are all of a sudden assuming that I want to go to Harvard/Yale, I want to be president, and I want to save the world, etc. I don't want to do any of those things and honestly, I find most people from Harvard to be rather pretencious.

This topic has gotten quickly off it's original focus. Let's move it back toward my LSAT concerns because if I don't pass the LSAT, aspects of these other discussions become moot.

Israel, definitely appreciate your input on the LSAT suggestions and will try to incorporate your ideas into my study plan.

DishonestAbe

Postby DishonestAbe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 am

Don't approach the test so emotionally. In fact, don't approach the test at all until you have a greater degree of control over your emotional state. Destroying a test booklet doesn't increase your score, nor does it deal with any underlying problems causing you to fail consistently. You're dumber than you'd like to be. That's okay--just lower your expectations commensurately. Shoot for a 150 and you'll be pleasantly surprised every time.

Kidding aside, it seems as though your job-related frustrations could be negatively influencing your scores. If you can't focus fully on the task at hand because irrelevant thoughts about your job--or anxiety flowing from it--are nagging, then your score will reflect that. Think of the LSAT as a means of escaping from the job, both in the short- and long-term, but don't entertain emotional associations with your job during the test. Good luck. I think you'll be fine.
Last edited by DishonestAbe on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 am

Since you have a decent grasp of the test don't waste your time with a prep class excepr maybe Atlas which focuses on 170+ almost exclusively.

What I would most suggest is hiring a private tutor online. Purchase 10 hours or so and meet with them two times a week (distance or in person) before the december lsat.

Just make sure you practice and cover material inbetween your meetings with them.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:08 pm

all do respect, I find it hard to believe that someone who has barely increased their score has a good grasp of the concepts. I agree, don't take a basic class, but the structured feedback and learning in say a kaplan advanced online course would be helpful. Frankly, the best part of that is the materials and analysis you get from their system.

Some people have trouble self teaching the lsat. Others don't.

Also, and take this for what its worth, I think half the problem is you are working 60 hours a week. I get that this is life, and you make due, but I know that I would have limited mental bandwidth if that was my schedule. Is there anything you can do to change that? I mean, if you are committed to getting out of that field why work to the bone?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:14 pm

If your score only went from 162 to around 165, then you really haven't actually "learned" anything yet. So it is no surprise that your score dips down into the lower 160's. Your scores will probably continue to fall into this range until you study the concepts behind the questions. Simply taking test after test without pulling out the key concepts, trends, etc will get you nowhere. You need to break down each question and study each answer choice. Look at the ones you got wrong. What were you fooled by? Why did it fool you? What can you do to ensure that the same thing doesn't trip you up again? Look at the ones you got right. What did the wrong answers do that you picked up on? Are there certain trends in wrong answers that you notice? Did you answer the question in a reasonable amount of time? Is there any way to speed yourself up, even on questions you consistently get right?

My point is, break it down to its components on each and every question, both right and wrong.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm

With studying for the LSAT:
1. You will have to review the questions you got wrong. find out why the choice you picked was wrong and why the right answer was right.

2. Focus on question types one at a time, and section types one at a time as you master the test. If you're getting 160-166 on most of your tests, it's prob just the really hard questions that you're missing.

With work issues:
1. I can feel you a little bit on that arena and I felt a lot like you about four, five months ago. But I took some deep breaths, took the LSAT like an extra curricular activity. Something that wasn't a 9-5.

2. Stress at work and anywhere can kill people. That's only gonna affect your work performance eventually and soon you'll find yourself with the pink slip, the ultimate sin for grad school applicants not in college, esp. since our economy still sucks. At least you took an absence for now, so hopefully that's not as much of a concern. You also shouldn't work at a place you don't want to be in.

If you find out that you want to quit your job, it's best to find a new job first. Quitting just to quit in most cases is not the way to go, esp. in this economy.

FINALLYHopefully my score from October will be one I'm satisfied, but if not, I still can take it again, etc. since I'm still taking a section or two every other day so I don't forget the skills I learned...

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Also, and take this for what its worth, I think half the problem is you are working 60 hours a week. I get that this is life, and you make due, but I know that I would have limited mental bandwidth if that was my schedule. Is there anything you can do to change that? I mean, if you are committed to getting out of that field why work to the bone?

Right, so I'm committed to getting out of the field because I'm generally just bored out of my mind. Because I'm bored, my motivation is extremely limited on the job. I work 57 hours a week because I have to. I'm not productive at all in my mind. It's not this lack of productvity that causes me to work long hours. We are looked down upon unless the client sees us working 7:30-7:30 and I cant pull out an LSAT book in front of clients.

I will say that most days I want to unwind rather than study and that could be an issue. I cannot quit this job because I have no other prospects at this time, can't really spend a month applying to another job. Plus, I can't easily quit and hope I get the score I need because if I don't then I have to wait longer periods of time to retake while paying health insurance, rent etc. out of my own pocket. It's hard to leave a job as good as mine and as high paying when you're only 23. Also, I believe it would hurt my resume if my first major work experience is less than a year long (would be 1.5 years by the time of starting school)

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 pm

What I CAN do is study LSAT materials online. Does anyone know where I can find legitimate LSAT questions to quiz myself on with explanations? This is something that I can do in front of the client in free time without being unbelievably obvious that I am doing limited work

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 pm

so let me ask you this- you take the lsat. score a 150. Not going to a law school that is on your list. What next? Do you toil? find another job?

I know its tough, but why sabotage your future to keep the present?

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Good point. In that hypothetical, I'd probably just kill myself and call it a day. :shock:

Honestly, I have no idea what I would do. I'd feel completely stuck in limbo. Either way I'm most likely leaving this company.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”