Feeling like I did well....is this bad?

bjc314

Feeling like I did well....is this bad?

Postby bjc314 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 pm

So I took the October LSAT and like many I am mildly freaked out with Friday approaching. However, after taking the test, I felt like it was easy, indeed easier than many practice tests I have taken (save for some LR questions from left field). I figure that this means I did either exceptionally well or totally bombed but nothing in between. Is anyone else having similar anxieties?

dshirs32

Re: Feeling like I did well....is this bad?

Postby dshirs32 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 pm

I can't imagine how feeling like you did well could be a bad thing...

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:33 pm

bruin10

Postby bruin10 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Between my memory and talking to people, I've only come to 1 wrong on LR, 1 wrong in RC and 1 wrong on LG (I ran out of time on two, but somehow guessed right on one). Obviously, it freaks me out as well, but I think you just have to trust what your experiences tell you. Toward the end of my studying, I didn't run into wrong answer choices, where I didn't circle the problem to go back to or knew I had to think about it more. Either way, I'd remember it. There were none I got wrong that didn't stick with my memory later.

mtrl

Postby mtrl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm

I'd say you probably did exceptionally well or, at worst, close to your average. Obviously you know your test taking patterns better than we do, but I'd say the odds of you missing something huge and not realizing it are pretty slim. Unless it happened in your PTs, it probably didn't happen on the actual thing. There's the slight chance that you could have misbubbled catastrophically but that's independent of feeling like you've done well. So, I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't increase your expectations too much either because you may just be setting yourself up for disappointment (albeit slight disappointment).

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:50 pm

I felt really good about it too, but I also only got about 3 hours sleep that night. Maybe my confidence was somehow due to my brain being half asleep.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 pm

r2b2ct wrote:I felt really good about it too, but I also only got about 3 hours sleep that night. Maybe my confidence was somehow due to my brain being half asleep.

Same with me, except for a game and a passage I felt I did great and only on about 4 hours sleep could have missed something

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Believe it or not, there are more of us who think we might have actually done well on the test.

Let it go, this too shall pass.

andedom

Postby andedom » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:01 pm

r2b2ct wrote:I felt really good about it too, but I also only got about 3 hours sleep that night. Maybe my confidence was somehow due to my brain being half asleep.

Same here! I was full of energy though, due to all the cold meds, caffeine and gummy bears I ate though!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 pm

I felt I did okay or really bad, depending on which LG section was experimental. I did okay (1 pt above my average PT), and it makes sense that the section I did poorly on was the experimental as there were game types I had never seen before.

I think as long as you're well prepared, you can have a pretty good grasp on how you did.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:41 pm

I've just kept mum in front of my friends, who all say, "We all know you'll do well!"

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:25 pm

I feel scared too. I know after seeing people discuss almost all of the hardest/trickiest questions people had problems with that I have only missed 1 LR of those discussed. I know I missed 2 or 3 on RC, and LG i guessed on 2, but outside that I felt I had the right answer for every question attempted.

Its the questions that nobody has talked about that scare me. Did I miss 3 or 4 LR's that were gimmies? Did I completely miss something in one of the RC passages? I don't think I did.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:28 pm

dcman06 wrote:I've just kept mum in front of my friends, who all say, "We all know you'll do well!"

That'd be nice.
My family could not care less. They genuinely hang up when I start to talk about it lol. sigh. only TLSers understand my anxiety.

I felt like I did awesome, right after the test, now I'm convinced I did terribly, for no other reason than I thought I did well... it would be too good to be true.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:33 pm

dcman06 wrote:I've just kept mum in front of my friends, who all say, "We all know you'll do well!"

When people say this to me I want to grab them by the shoulders and scream, "I DON'T NEED TO DO 'WELL,' I NEED 175!!!"

omninode

Postby omninode » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:38 pm

I thought I did great on the test until I started reading this buzzkill of a website/forum. Funny thing is all these LSAT anxiety threads will become irrelevant the day the scores are released. Just a few more days...

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm

incompetentia wrote:Believe it or not, there are more of us who think we might have actually done well on the test.

Let it go, this too shall pass.

Unless it's reflected by a brutal curve.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 pm

If I'm interpreting you correctly, then my response is that I meant "more" as in "more than you", not "more than half".

If I'm not, hello. Nice to meet you. Do we know each other?

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:51 pm

I thought I did great post-test and for two weeks after. Irrational (or maybe rational?!) doubts and fears have infiltrated my brain as of yesterday. I'm trying to chalk it up to last week jitters. I was always pretty good at gauging how I did after PTs. And I actually liked the test I sat for. Perfect layout and sections. I'm trying to hold on to that original feeling.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:53 pm

I thought I did well too the first time I took the test. Was practicing around a 170. Got a fucking 162 on test day. But yeah, I guess it's better to feel good than bad...

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:55 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:

When people say this to me I want to grab them by the shoulders and scream, "I DON'T NEED TO DO 'WELL,' I NEED 175!!!"

+1
UGH MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY

I felt horrible. But usually when I think I do bad I do fairly well, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

play2win

Postby play2win » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:59 pm

I think I did well too! Its a scary thought, but I'm thinking zero wrong LG, 2 wrong on RC (took three 50-50 guesses), and 2 wrong on LR (didn't hear any that I got wrong yet, but I'm figuring one wrong on each section). I mean, if that were the case, I'd be so happy.

Then I start thinking about that one out of every 10 practice tests where I misread one of the rules from logic games. OK, so 3 wrong LG. And in fact I got more wrong than I thought in RC, 5 in fact. Oh yeah, and LR? Turns out I shit the bed on that one, 45/51. Suddenly its looking like -12 and me praying for a 170 :(

omninode

Postby omninode » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:07 pm

When will LSAC end the torture and switch to a computerized test like the GRE that gives instant results (and you don't have to worry about whether you're filling in the bubbles right)?

Probably never.

Perch

Postby Perch » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:33 pm

omninode wrote:When will LSAC end the torture and switch to a computerized test like the GRE that gives instant results (and you don't have to worry about whether you're filling in the bubbles right)?

Probably never.

and I don't get why not

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 pm

play2win wrote:I think I did well too! Its a scary thought, but I'm thinking zero wrong LG, 2 wrong on RC (took three 50-50 guesses), and 2 wrong on LR (didn't hear any that I got wrong yet, but I'm figuring one wrong on each section). I mean, if that were the case, I'd be so happy.

Then I start thinking about that one out of every 10 practice tests where I misread one of the rules from logic games. OK, so 3 wrong LG. And in fact I got more wrong than I thought in RC, 5 in fact. Oh yeah, and LR? Turns out I shit the bed on that one, 45/51. Suddenly its looking like -12 and me praying for a 170 :(

i couldn't agree with this more. i know that i got 3 lr and 1 lg wrong. throw in another -2 for some margin of error, and we're looking at -6 which is around my target.

BUT..i easily could have succumbed to the stress of the testing environment (ahem, like my 163 sept. 09 after PTing at around 173).

F THIS.

whatever, i keep trying to tell myself that if i don't break 170 and attend a lesser school, i'll just do that much better first year and can transfer for 2L. a family friend was recently at some sort of cocktail party w the dean of admissions at columbia, who informed her that they accepted 70 transfers this year. to put that in perspective, my ivy UG had a class of 1000 and accepted only 5 transfers after freshman year. 70 transfers is huge. i'm guessing that they may be trying to increase the size of their class to draw in more revenue to compensate for the poor economy/endowment losses, or at least that's what my ug did...
Last edited by amkid100 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 pm

I feel like I aced it. That seems to offend some people, and perhaps the joke will be on me once the scores are released. But, no matter how much I look back and analyze the test, I can't seem to second-guess anything.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”