Do some LR questions actually make no sense? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mtrl

New

Re: Do some LR questions actually make no sense?

Post by mtrl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Actually, yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems that the October question isn't the best example.

crazner

New

Post by crazner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:41 pm

If it won't get anyone banned, can someone be a little bit more specific about which LR question you're referring to? I feel like there were several pretty controversial ones discussed on here...

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:32 pm

I won't say anything too specific about 61.

Of all the LRs, the car theft Q seemed the most confusing but it was due to not reading clearly or calmly enough as other people have pointed out with TCR.

An example of a BS Q I still don't like is from PT54 about the whole erosion/mountain paradox Q. TCR makes no sense to me and the main detractor only looks barely enticing. I hate that question with a passion.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:I won't say anything too specific about 61.

Of all the LRs, the car theft Q seemed the most confusing but it was due to not reading clearly or calmly enough as other people have pointed out with TCR.

An example of a BS Q I still don't like is from PT54 about the whole erosion/mountain paradox Q. TCR makes no sense to me and the main detractor only looks barely enticing. I hate that question with a passion.
I concur

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Random question.
I understand if a question has an extraordinary amount of people missing it compared to when it was an experimental, or compared to a normal distribution, that it will be thrown out.

What if a question that LSAC was banking on being "hard" turns out to be obscenely easy making the distribution abnormally high.

Do they throw the 2nd one out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Doubt it...potentially adjust the curve maybe.

With the rarity of cut questions I just don't see enough of an occurrence of removed questions for this to be the case

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:01 pm

I have felt some questions have 2 "best" answers where both of them require assumptions to actually be valid. I have gotten these wrong and thought that it the assumption made for the correct answer really wasn't justified.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:11 am

DrackedaryMaster wrote:An example of a BS Q I still don't like is from PT54 about the whole erosion/mountain paradox Q. TCR makes no sense to me and the main detractor only looks barely enticing. I hate that question with a passion.
That's a fine, upstanding LR question and I won't sit by idly while you slander it.

The stimulus says that erosion constantly wears down mountains. But the highest mountains are found in areas where the forces of erosion are strongest. The apparent conflict is that you'd expect the highest mountains would be in areas with relatively weaker forces of erosion, like you might expect the biggest fish would be present in areas with fewer predators. The correct answer choice would be something that can explain why tall mountains and strong erosion often go together instead of occurring separately.

Answer choice (A) just suggests that really tall mountains actually create strong forces of erosion. So although they are somewhat in opposition, it's not surprising that they occur together. Conflict resolved.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Lsac does not throw questions out because they are hard or easy. that's what the curve is for.

The questions they throw out are ones that don't make sense. In essence, they have no correct answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

dhrizek wrote:Lsac does not throw questions out because they are hard or easy. that's what the curve is for.

The questions they throw out are ones that don't make sense. In essence, they have no correct answer.
Or more than one correct answer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”