Ups and downs tonight

RefleX

Ups and downs tonight

Postby RefleX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I had a severe lack of concentration today while doing one of my prep tests and managed to do pretty well on the first logical reasoning section. The following reading comprehension section took a turn for the worse. I was honestly going to try and figure out where I had made improvement, but I stumbled upon a passage I had already done and moderately analyzed, so the honest score was out the window. Then, I hit the infamous Kingston passage from the Oct. 2008 LSAT and really lost my self confidence, so I decided I'll chop the sections up and use them for individual practice. My first logical reasoning was 84% correct, second 72% (exper), and the RC was a whopping 66% with already knowing the answers to one of the sections basically (not like I did so bad on it to begin with). These diversity passages are beating me up pretty bad. I don't know if I have some natural aversion towards racial/cultural nonsense or what, but I need to step my game up. The next section in my Powerscore RC Bible is about diversity though, so hopefully I'll do better. I think I'm averaging about 50-55% after three practice tests, hopefully I'll increase to at least 70%.

Jeffort

Re: Ups and downs tonight

Postby Jeffort » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Are you mainly having trouble getting yourself to actively read, concentrate and focus on the diversity type RC passages when you do them? Some of them can be pretty darn -put you to sleep- boring/uninteresting, especially the ones about obscure poets or literature.

If you are typically/consistently missing a much higher percentage of questions about passages of a certain theme/subject matter type as compared to the others, a big part of your problem is related to your interest level and focus.

When reading each passage you have to actively force yourself to be interested in and care about the topic whether or not you actually do. Otherwise your level of concentration/focus goes down (and your mind may wander off onto other things at the time), leading to less comprehension of the text, which in turn leads to selecting more incorrect answers about it.

In short, if you have to, lie to yourself by saying in your head 'this is the most interesting stuff ever!'.

RefleX

Re: Ups and downs tonight

Postby RefleX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice. I just graduated from Temple in May so I still have bad vibes about all the culture/racial crap they spewed out. I think you're definitely right. I do much better in scientific passages where, although not always, the terminology makes it a tad harder.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”