From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:57 pm

So I think I'm going to retake the LSAT this December, it's right before the reading period for Finals Week so I can study for the LSAT then study for finals.
I got class all day Tuesday, all day Thursday, Monday mornings, and Friday mornings.
What should I do to prepare? I only have seven weeks.
I'm familiar with the content. I just need to do some review (and more) if I want to score 170 or higher..
I think I got a little nervous during the exam which affected how I did.
There was an LR section where I had ten questions to work on and only five minutes to do them..that was the section I did the worst on by far.

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

Postby tourdeforcex » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:26 pm

a simple intensive plan:

take an LSAT every morning you do not have class (Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday). take it at 8:00AM so you become accustomed to activating your mind so early in the morning.

Start this on Wednesday. Every afternoon, review all mistakes. Cut out the LR mistakes stick them on your door, your desk, your bed, anywhere you frequent.

When December LSAT comes, you will be prepared and will have no reason to be nervous. You've faced the monster once for real and in practice over 15 times between now and then.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

Postby kkklick » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:So I think I'm going to retake the LSAT this December, it's right before the reading period for Finals Week so I can study for the LSAT then study for finals.
I got class all day Tuesday, all day Thursday, Monday mornings, and Friday mornings.
What should I do to prepare? I only have seven weeks.
I'm familiar with the content. I just need to do some review (and more) if I want to score 170 or higher..
I think I got a little nervous during the exam which affected how I did.
There was an LR section where I had ten questions to work on and only five minutes to do them..that was the section I did the worst on by far.

165 to 170 is a pretty big jump, best way to improve is to fix your weakest section, which is ___________?

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

Postby jr1886 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:31 pm

kkklick wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:So I think I'm going to retake the LSAT this December, it's right before the reading period for Finals Week so I can study for the LSAT then study for finals.
I got class all day Tuesday, all day Thursday, Monday mornings, and Friday mornings.
What should I do to prepare? I only have seven weeks.
I'm familiar with the content. I just need to do some review (and more) if I want to score 170 or higher..
I think I got a little nervous during the exam which affected how I did.
There was an LR section where I had ten questions to work on and only five minutes to do them..that was the section I did the worst on by far.

165 to 170 is a pretty big jump, best way to improve is to fix your weakest section, which is
___________?

I might be on the same boat with OP once I received my october score. And My weakest section is certain to be LG.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

Postby kkklick » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:35 pm

jr1886 wrote:
kkklick wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:So I think I'm going to retake the LSAT this December, it's right before the reading period for Finals Week so I can study for the LSAT then study for finals.
I got class all day Tuesday, all day Thursday, Monday mornings, and Friday mornings.
What should I do to prepare? I only have seven weeks.
I'm familiar with the content. I just need to do some review (and more) if I want to score 170 or higher..
I think I got a little nervous during the exam which affected how I did.
There was an LR section where I had ten questions to work on and only five minutes to do them..that was the section I did the worst on by far.

165 to 170 is a pretty big jump, best way to improve is to fix your weakest section, which is
___________?

I might be on the same boat with OP once I received my october score. And My weakest section is certain to be LG.


LG is easy to fix, one thing that helped me improve tremendously is writing out every rule in a lot of detail. I found that missing certain small things with a rule that I took for granted but didn't remember when answering questions took 1 or 2 off my score.

Any hypos and deductions, mark them on ALL your written out rules, it makes it much easier to look at and makes your brain work less. One thing I can't stress enough is don't focus so much on time when doing LG, when you understand a game fully and have your diagram out in a good amount of detail, the time it takes to answer questions is reduced and you will be unlikely to find that 1 question that you stare at for 5 minutes wondering how to get the answer.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 am

tourdeforcex wrote:a simple intensive plan:

take an LSAT every morning you do not have class (Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday). take it at 8:00AM so you become accustomed to activating your mind so early in the morning.

Start this on Wednesday. Every afternoon, review all mistakes. Cut out the LR mistakes stick them on your door, your desk, your bed, anywhere you frequent.

When December LSAT comes, you will be prepared and will have no reason to be nervous. You've faced the monster once for real and in practice over 15 times between now and then.


Thanks! This seems very reasonable.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: From 165 to ??? [December LSAT] [Need help with study plan]

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:01 pm

I think lsat prep is summed up by plank's comments in the wave theory passage. Improvement on the lsat isn't linear. It happens in jumps of 3+ points.

If you aren't getting 0 or -1 every LG section spend a lot of attention there. Mastering games is a practically a requirement for a 170+ score. Sure you could -2 to 0 RC or LR but that happens rarely.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], Greenteachurro and 4 guests