The pull your head out of your ass thread?

gambelda

The pull your head out of your ass thread?

Postby gambelda » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:56 pm

I have scored 165 -166 in my last 8 preptests. I sat down today fully focused on fixing my LR woes. I literally sat down, said pull my head out of my ass, read things more slowly, and go.

Went -1/-3 in the LR sections on preptest #19. So maybe that just "pulling our heads out of our asses" is the best strategy for those of us attempting to hit 170.

I still think God has it out for me though because as soon as I fixed LR, I made 6 STUPID MISTAKES on the LG!!! Still went -8 on RC......for another 166 :cry:

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: The pull your head out of your ass thread?

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:50 pm

With LR, my goal was always to keep focus through the entire section. When I started, probably half my misses came from 19-25. I don't know what you need to focus (I personally need to be calm) but I find that once you recognize and can solve all question types this becomes the biggest factor. (Right after I felt like I'd finally mastered my problem types on LR, I was still averaging -6...managed to trim that to -2 or -3 just by working on focusing.)

Games, if you learned them with your head in your ass and do them best that way, that's the way you should do them. No way around that.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:22 pm

yeah I usually do games sections in 30 min missing zero. Not sure what happened here. I definitely didn't perform well. I feel like I have a handle on the LR sections now, it's doing what you describe...just focusing and staying focused throughout.

I found out the difference for me was instead of circling the answer I thought was right, pausing and asking myself "does this REALLY weaken/strengthen/etc." Forcing myself to validate my answer apparently means the difference in 6-7 questions for me.

Moral of the story: Focus is Key - maybe that's something that seems rather intuitive to most people studying for this test but they never sit down and actually force themselves to validate their own responses. Could save a bunch of people points.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:44 am

Not to crash your dreams, but PT 19 is easy on LR and RC. I thought I was a genius after getting 175 on it after 2 weeks of prep. Try some more recent tests to validate your strategy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”