Should I bother learning mapping games?

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby Rawlberto » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 pm

I have run across a couple, and never really bothered to do them. I am working my way up from the 40 PTs, so will they be counting towards my score on them but I believe that they have not been present for a while am I correct? Or am I misclassifying the Airplane game in PT 40?

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:23 pm

If you don't bother to learn one, and one doesn't show up on your real test, then you're right, you shouldn't have bothered.

If you don't bother to learn one, and one shows up on your real test, well, then they were worth learning.

Worth the risk?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Learn them.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Some people will pounce on me and call me an idiot; however, I strongly feel like the mulch game from PT 60 had several characteristics of a mapping game. The spaces between loads wasn't conducive to diagramming like a traditional grouping game; you had to draw lines and innovate, just like you have to do with mapping games like the ski resort game from PT 5.

But regardless, the "think outside the box" skills necessary to solve "the forgotten few" will help you when it comes to solving curveball games on modern tests.

Ascend
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby Ascend » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 pm

I think it depends on when you are testing and how you are doing in other sections. If you are nailing the games but going -8 on both LR sections and you're doing a December retake, then your time would probably be more appropriately spent working on LR (or any other significant weakness).

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:10 pm

niederbomb wrote:[T]he "think outside the box" skills necessary to solve "the forgotten few" will help you when it comes to solving curveball games on modern tests.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking. I just couldn't phrase it as well as you have.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby Rawlberto » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:39 pm

Ascend wrote:I think it depends on when you are testing and how you are doing in other sections. If you are nailing the games but going -8 on both LR sections and you're doing a December retake, then your time would probably be more appropriately spent working on LR (or any other significant weakness).


Actually working on LR as that IS the range I am getting in. So most of my time is dedicated to that. If I don't get a mapping game I get a -2 or -0, i'm pretty good one games. I might just give the section a look through on an open afternoon.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby typ3 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 am

Learn how to do them, but don't make them a focal point of your prep.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby Hedwig » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:54 am

I also don't think PT 40's games are true mapping. I am basing this mainly on the fact that I have the worst spatial skills of anyone I've ever known besides my mom and my sister and I went -0 on that games section within alloted time.

Do all the weird games! The thing that gave me the most confidence going up to the Oct. LSAT was knowing I had done EVERY SINGLE GAME available.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby nStiver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:47 pm

niederbomb wrote:Some people will pounce on me and call me an idiot; however, I strongly feel like the mulch game from PT 60 had several characteristics of a mapping game. The spaces between loads wasn't conducive to diagramming like a traditional grouping game; you had to draw lines and innovate, just like you have to do with mapping games like the ski resort game from PT 5.

But regardless, the "think outside the box" skills necessary to solve "the forgotten few" will help you when it comes to solving curveball games on modern tests.


Dude it was really easy to represent the cleanings. my set up looked like __ __ __ | __ __ | __ __ with each | representing a cleaning. I don't really see this as much of a departure from a simple linear game. Just draw lines. I blew this LG section but the mulch game was f'ing easy. I can not understand how all of these sophisticated TLS test takers had trouble with it.

And more on topic. Yes learn mapping games. It won't hurt you and it can only help you if one pops up on game day. I also think that working on those obscure games from the early days of the LSAT really teaches you to be more flexible and innovative with your approach to games. What if something comes up that you have never seen before? You sure don't have any time to panic and freak out over it on test day. You need to know how to handle curve balls. Anyway, the weird LG's keep things interesting.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:17 pm

nStiver wrote:

Dude it was really easy to represent the cleanings. my set up looked like __ __ __ | __ __ | __ __ with each | representing a cleaning. I don't really see this as much of a departure from a simple linear game. Just draw lines.


Yes, mine looked like that too. I had the most trouble on the interns game, not that one.

And the "just draw lines" applies equally well to mapping games, so I'm not sure where we disagree. In fact, the LG Bible calls them just another type of grouping game.

cw2010
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby cw2010 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:27 pm

I would definately study mapping games. Don't get so comfortable doing the main types of games that you don't know what to do when you see a game that falls outside of that category. Doing well on games comes down to being able to be flexible with your approaches, to think quickly, and to perform what you've been studying under pressure in a test setting.

I would add to this and say that if you are aiming for a top score (165+), then you might also want to consider doing all the games from the early tests PT 7+. I think the book is called the "Official LSAT Preptests." I did these towards the end of my prep, and it helped to think outside the box and to approach games from different angles.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby kkklick » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Never learned mapping games and I'm good at LG, don't understand what people are saying about using mapping skills to solve new games. It couldn't hurt to learn but you will likely never see a real true mapping game on an LSAT again

User avatar
r2b2ct
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby r2b2ct » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:24 pm

kkklick wrote:Never learned mapping games and I'm good at LG, don't understand what people are saying about using mapping skills to solve new games. It couldn't hurt to learn but you will likely never see a real true mapping game on an LSAT again

+1

It couldn't hurt, but I'd put it at the bottom of my priority list.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby nStiver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:16 pm

niederbomb wrote:nStiver wrote:

Dude it was really easy to represent the cleanings. my set up looked like __ __ __ | __ __ | __ __ with each | representing a cleaning. I don't really see this as much of a departure from a simple linear game. Just draw lines.


Yes, mine looked like that too. I had the most trouble on the interns game, not that one.

And the "just draw lines" applies equally well to mapping games, so I'm not sure where we disagree. In fact, the LG Bible calls them just another type of grouping game.


I suppose we don't disagree. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Should I bother learning mapping games?

Postby Jeffort » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm

If you have all the available PT's you might as well work them for the purpose of conditioning yourself to be able to quickly adapt to odd ball games in case LSAC throws something weird at you on test day.

However, don't stress or worry about getting one. There are only a handful of mapping games and you can work and review them all in an hour or two. The last actual mapping game was administered in 1993.

The Zephyr Airlines game in PT #40 was not a mapping game, neither was the recent mulch game. During practice people frequently mistake the few atypical grouping games as mapping games. IMHO you have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting a true mapping game, they seem to have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

The rare oddball game type that I believe has a chance of again being reincarnated to rear its ugly head and ambush students is circular sequencing. Last verifiable sighting of that type popped up on the October 2003 test after a long absence. The previous verifiable one was on a non-disclosed February test that years after being administered was released and published by LSAC in their Superprep book, which was not published until long after the October 2003 administration. Prior to 2003, the previous disclosed test appearance of circular sequencing was June 1991. In addition, over the last ~6 years some students have claimed they had a circular sequencing game in their experimental section.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], PantoroB, Pozzo, Tazewell, Vino.Veritas and 12 guests