LSAT Prep

kilowatt
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm

LSAT Prep

Postby kilowatt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Hello All,
I recently joined the forum and wanted to know what were the best books to use. My goal on the LSAT is 170 (as is everyone's i feel like). I've never studied at all before, not done any reading or anything about it. Just got the Mcgraw Hill book and did the diagnostic and got a 159. Is there hope for a 170 with studying? I'm planning on taking the LSAT in february '11. So i figure that gives me 3 months+ of study time. I've read a few posts on here and decided to get the Logicgames Bible, Logical reasoning bible, 10 actual LSAT tests. and I previously bought the Mcgraw-Hill book just as a starter. I can't take any LSAT prep courses because I play collegiate baseball at my university and that takes up most of my time. Currently have a 3.77 gpa.
My questions: What other books should I get? And what can I do to ensure the 170.
Thanks!

ohlawl
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby ohlawl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Firs off, get another set of prep tests. You ideally want 20-30. Try to get the most recent ones too!


dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby dakatz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 pm

You most certainly can go from 159 to over 170. My first diagnostic was just about the same as yours. And within a few months, I was testing consistently within the upper-160's to lower 170's range. Ended up with a score a bit below 170, but I'm sure a retake would have gotten me to the 170 level. The key thing is that you never studied this before. You have yet to pick up all the tricks, tendencies, red flags, patterns, etc that the test has. Just by virtue of becoming more familiar with the material, your score will increase.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby 2014 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 pm

kilowatt wrote:Hello All,
I recently joined the forum and wanted to know what were the best books to use. My goal on the LSAT is 170 (as is everyone's i feel like). I've never studied at all before, not done any reading or anything about it. Just got the Mcgraw Hill book and did the diagnostic and got a 159. Is there hope for a 170 with studying? I'm planning on taking the LSAT in february '11. So i figure that gives me 3 months+ of study time. I've read a few posts on here and decided to get the Logicgames Bible, Logical reasoning bible, 10 actual LSAT tests. and I previously bought the Mcgraw-Hill book just as a starter. I can't take any LSAT prep courses because I play collegiate baseball at my university and that takes up most of my time. Currently have a 3.77 gpa.
My questions: What other books should I get? And what can I do to ensure the 170.
Thanks!

Not that I encourage a class because I'm a self-study supporter, but there are online based classes that run at about any time you could hope for. I've seen 10pm - 1am ones. I guarantee you that there is one out there that fits your schedule even if you are particularly busy with baseball.

kilowatt
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby kilowatt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
dccoope, i didn't know that site existed, thanks for showing me that.
ohlawl, Are there any other tests besides the 10 actual, 10 more actual, the next 10 actual?
dakatz, thanks for the encouragement. an upper 160s would be very good too, not really looking to go to the very top ten...but maybe ideally a georgetown, bc, bu, etc.

kilowatt
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby kilowatt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Not that I encourage a class because I'm a self-study supporter, but there are online based classes that run at about any time you could hope for. I've seen 10pm - 1am ones. I guarantee you that there is one out there that fits your schedule even if you are particularly busy with baseball.



Are these really worth the money? I've looked into some that are $1k+ which is pretty steep for the average college kid (although I do know this test pretty much makes or breaks where we go to college.)

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby typ3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:44 pm

kilowatt wrote:Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
dccoope, i didn't know that site existed, thanks for showing me that.
ohlawl, Are there any other tests besides the 10 actual, 10 more actual, the next 10 actual?
dakatz, thanks for the encouragement. an upper 160s would be very good too, not really looking to go to the very top ten...but maybe ideally a georgetown, bc, bu, etc.



Read the stickied threads on the top of this forum before posting.

Read Pithy Pike's Method.

There's basically two methods for tacking the LSAT that seem to be current on this forum.

One is getting the PS Bibles and going through grouping questions PTs 1-20 then full practice tests.
The other is getting the Atlas/Manhattan Strategy guides going through grouping questions from PT's 1-20 and then full PT's 21-60.

I would say get Atlas RC and LG, Powerscore LRB and then Cambridge or whomever grouped by question type RC/LR/LG 1-20 on Amazon.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby incompetentia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Classes can help some people, and can provide absolutely no help to others. Only you can and should decide whether or not it's worth the money.

You can buy individual PTs from almost anywhere - CambridgeLSAT online will allow you to download pretty much any published test (1-60) from the last 20 years.
They run a bit more expensive than the books of 10 ($8 a pop for the new ones usually), but note that the 10, Next 10, and 10 More are PTs 7-38, which means that they are from 1993-2002. The test has undergone some fairly significant changes since then (most notably in 2007), so you should have at least a few tests from the 52+ range for study.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby tomwatts » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:42 pm

kilowatt wrote:Are these really worth the money? I've looked into some that are $1k+ which is pretty steep for the average college kid (although I do know this test pretty much makes or breaks where we go to college.)

incompetentia wrote:Classes can help some people, and can provide absolutely no help to others. Only you can and should decide whether or not it's worth the money.

I want to emphasize this point. Classes provide you with a study schedule, all the materials, someone to answer your questions and step you through every part of the process. You can do all of that yourself, too, but it is more work. It's up to you, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

incompetentia wrote:They run a bit more expensive than the books of 10 ($8 a pop for the new ones usually), but note that the 10, Next 10, and 10 More are PTs 7-38, which means that they are from 1993-2002. The test has undergone some fairly significant changes since then (most notably in 2007), so you should have at least a few tests from the 52+ range for study.

I want to emphasize this last point, too. You definitely want to do the tests in the 50-60 range (all of them if possible, the higher-numbered ones if not). Whether you think the changes are significant or minor, there have certainly been some changes, and you want to see what the test looks like now. Old tests are still very good for practicing on, but you want recent tests in there, too.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:45 pm

the pr class really helped me with my prep. not only did it force me to create and stick to a study routine, but it gave me the basic foundation to crack the lsat. if you are going to take a class, i would strongly recommend that you plan to leave a month or more between the last class and the test to help you solidifiy the concepts by doing prep tests and timed sections




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CHyde, RPlatt85 and 8 guests