Can I make it?

Rawlberto

Can I make it?

Postby Rawlberto » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:39 pm

A little bit of set up, looking to get some feedback from others.

I am currently scheduled to take the December LSAT. I am currently scoring a 160, started off at 141. Really, I don't feel like i've hit half of my potential. I am missing a lot (8-10 per section) on LR, but I have only until about last week been completely committed to studying the section. Most of my problem is the fact that I simply just get bored. My goal is to at least hit a 165, but would obviosly like to get a high 160-low 170. Currently a little over 7 weeks to go. I am studying a minimum of three hours everyday, but sometimes study up to 6 hours as a I have undergrad course work I don't need to pay attention to and am currently not working. If a base of 165 is what I am aiming for, am I currently setting a realistic expectation for my?

im_blue

Re: Can I make it?

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Are you applying this year or next? For this year, you should plan on applying with your December score, whatever it turns out to be.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:03 am

Can you? Yes

Will you? That's up to Zeus and your own motivation.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 am

When did you start? 165 isn't out of the question since you got almost two months left.

cw2010

Postby cw2010 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:28 am

Yes I do believe it is possible. However, it would be helpful to know what materials you are using.

Just because you're spending a lot of time studying doesn't mean that it's actually productive. In fact, a couple hours well-spent, with dedication and focus, can be more productive and beneficial than several hours without a plan or purpose. A lot of your time needs to be on studying the reasoning behind the questions. If you're missing 8-10 questions on LR, then I would suggest that you spend a lot of time on:

1) Studying the reasoning behind the question types. For this, it is very useful to have a LR book, such as the Powerscore one (which is what I initially used) or the Atlas one (which I also have and is great). Get books for the other sections as well.

2) Focus on completing two or three preptests per week, but go through EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM in detail. Go through both the correct and incorrect answer choices, and refer back to your manuals when you are having difficulty understanding a question.

Regarding getting bored, that is just something you need to deal with. I had the same problem, and it helps to think about WHY you are doing this. Either way, come up with some big reasons for why you have decided to perform well on this exam, and write those reasons down. When you feel like slacking off, review those reasons, and let them inspire you to get back to work.

Good Luck!

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 am

I am using the the bibles (LR and LG). I am also using pret tests and Kaplan Mastery books, which were the only thing I would have in retrospect paid for in regards to my experience with Kaplan. I currently do review my answers and work through the answers, it's just been slow going in seeing improvement in LR.

I have completed the LG bible, but I do refer to it if I am getting tripped on games. I usually hit -3, but have hit -0 on various occasions. I am currently working through the LGB, I have been reviewing Formal Logic as it just doesn't seem to be clicking at times.

I started in early September, so I have been going for almost 8 weeks now. I would say I am highly motivated, as this is my career path so I want to be able to excel at every aspect I can. I just want to make sure I am setting up realistic expectations.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Rawlberto wrote:I have undergrad course work I don't need to pay attention to

GPA is important! Although I'm pretty sure I know what you were implying by this, still--never hurts.

Also, you should definitely be able to push that 160 up to a 165. Just keep practicing and understanding where your weaknesses are. Happy studying & good luck.

granato

Postby granato » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:50 pm

I hope so because I'm in the same boat you are. I think you (we) can definitely do it. I was scoring around 160 before buying the LRB, so I didn't diagram LR problems or know any of the clues to look for. Now that I'm about halfway through it I've taken some practice LR sections and have been getting -3/-4 instead of -7/-8 and still have almost two months. So you can definitely hit 165 or better. You have 2 months to get a good understanding of these concepts, drill, drill, drill, review, review, review, and repeat.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Even if you don't get the score you want you can always retake in Feb, June, September, the list goes on.

cw2010

Postby cw2010 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm

bk1 wrote:Even if you don't get the score you want you can always retake in Feb, June, September, the list goes on.

This is a good point to remember. Work hard and aim to do it once, but don't fret and agonize over it. Worse case is that you do it again.

The October 2010 test was the first official LSAT I took, and I self-studied the whole way. It was a slow, grinding process of moving up from a 150 (my diagnostic) to what I am aiming for: 165+.

Because I've done nearly every preptest ever administered (except the ones before PT 7), and since I've gone through materials from different test prep companies, I walked out of the test center feeling very confident that I scored above 165.

However, because I got so use to studying for the LSAT, and because I wanted to be sure that I was prepared for whatever happened, I am continuing to study and if my October score isn't what I want, I feel confident that I can achieve my score on the December exam. I am even considering retaking it anyway, just to see if I score 170+ (assuming I didn't on the Oct. exam). There's a point at which you begin to "get it." Once you reach that point, your stress level goes way down because you know your stuff. So my advice would be to keep studying the Bibles, go through the problems carefully, analyze your strengths and weaknesses, and just keep doing what you're doing! Good Luck

Supremeone

Postby Supremeone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:43 pm

no
you shall fail

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:07 pm

typ3 wrote:Can you? Yes

Will you? That's up to Zeus and your own motivation.

That's my deity of choice...

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 am

Unless you have some reason that you absolutely must go to law school next fall, don't do anything that would jeopardize your GPA. You have plenty of time to improve that LSAT and yes, 165 should be achievable.

However your GPA will be an important factor too. And you only get one shot at improving it, you can have three shots at the LSAT.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:46 am

albanach wrote:Unless you have some reason that you absolutely must go to law school next fall, don't do anything that would jeopardize your GPA. You have plenty of time to improve that LSAT and yes, 165 should be achievable.

However your GPA will be an important factor too. And you only get one shot at improving it, you can have three shots at the LSAT.

My reason for not wanting to wait a year to enter law school is honestly a pretty silly one, which is that I will be 26 when entering law school. I did not go to college until I was 20 due to how much I had hated school as I went to a school I believe marginalized its minority student population. I actually got suspended TWICE because some students produced a can of chewing tobacco they said had fallen out my backpacked (never chewed in my life) and I had to "confess" I had done it because the principal had threatened that if I continued to deny the charge that my suspension would be doubled or face expulsion. I honestly BARELY graduated High School, I ended up with a 1.15 GPA. It was just a horrendous situation, I have more than succeeded at College/University level . While this sounds like useless detail, I just feel anxious often as I feel like i'm "behind the pack" due to how horrible my HS experience was. Further, I've already worked a white collar job that was netting me a decent salary but the work was intellectually tedious which downgraded my general quality of life. Taking a year off is not the end of the world, but I have an unnatural fear that I will fall into a job that I will continue with due to the state of the economy and continue to put off something I want to do. Certainly my decision making is motivated by emotional factors, but waiting until Fall 2012 to started

The reason I am not focusing on my GPA too much is due to the fact that two of my courses this semester were "accelerated courses" so I currently have my grades back for both of them (As). I actually have much more credits than I need to graduate as I worked at a for profit school (won't name which one) where I took courses as I was not yet able to afford to enter a proper university. I didn't take the courses which hurt my GPA. This doesn't factor in that during the other portions of my UG my grandparents, my father, a close uncle and close cousin passed away during the semester. Plus, I had to routinely travel out of the country mid-semester as my father left his estate in shambles, all of which has contributed to a paltry 3.3-3.4 cumulative gpa for my UG career. Obviously, I will be writing an addendum as my University level GPA, which has consisted of nothing but 300-400 level courses is currently at a 3.7, with the constant traveling included.

I figure with a 165, 3.3-3.4 (transcripts from my University UG are not in) and URM status I should at least get into ASU or UA (living in AZ) with some scholarship money. Maybe an outside chance at a T14. Frankly, I personally just want to do a one and done, obviously if I do worse than I expected I will reconsider, but I have set 165 as my "floor score". Thanks for everyone's help on TLS, it has honestly helped me so much being on this board. I started off thinking a 150 range score would be a dream for me, but being on a board with people that strive for excellence has compelled me to do the same. Thanks You!

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Rawlberto wrote:My reason for not wanting to wait a year to enter law school is honestly a pretty silly one, which is that I will be 26 when entering law school.

I'm 26 and I'm pulling the trigger on law school now. It's not uncommon for people our age to go to law school by any means. But you did state that you started college at 20 years old, and I graduated college when I was 21.

cw2010

Postby cw2010 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I also don't think that 26 is too old. I believe that one should enter law school when he or she is ready and committed. Good luck with the studying.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:46 pm

I think going to law school in late 20's is a pretty ideal age myself now that I think about it.

1. For most of us, we have at least some work experience after college (3-7 years), and hopefully most of us know what we want out of the JD a bit more clearly than some of the 21-22 year old college seniors right now.

2. We're also not too old either. Many of the older law applicants (entering their 1L or 1E (evening student) year in late 30's on up) are not as likely to use the JD to enter the job market like most of the law students right out of college, given their work experience. Some others just want the degree in and of itself. Entering a law firm at the age of 30-32 isn't too bad, and our prior work experience can also help us. Since you're 26 and though you're still in college, you likely also have other employment and other experiences that will make you unique.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:20 pm

I actually did manage to a big amount of white collar work experience (administrative and managerial), so i'm pretty sure of what I want. The being 26 is mostly based on the fact that entering law some time in my 30s just seems kind of "too old and too late."

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:31 pm

same boat brother! kinda creepy, I'm 24 but my diagnostic and highs are similar.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm 26 right now, and I'll be 27 before I enter law school. And I definitely feel like I would not have been prepared for this straight out of UG.

So, to all of you others who are in the latter half of your 20's... let's collectively kick some 21-22 year old ass in law school next year!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”