First post: Rudimentary questions

gsenator

First post: Rudimentary questions

Postby gsenator » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello,

This is my first post and I thought it was necessary to ask for some help. I am very interested in taking the LSAT next June. I have currently bought many LSAT tests, plus both of the powerscore bibles. I was set to take a class, but school and work got in the way and I have postponed my studies until at least this December, which is when I plan on hitting the books hard. I have a few questions that I hope somebody can help me answer, as this website contains such a wonder wealth of information yet no clear-cut answers (which is what I am seeking).

1. Knowing that I want to get through both of the power-score books, is it better for me to read ONE at a time and spend 3-4 hours a day practicing a single book, or should I spend 1-2 hours each day on BOTH of the books, and finish them at the same time. Will this confuse me, or hinder me from learning the strategies for each book? I am really confused about this.

2. I plan on getting through both of the powerscore books before I start taking a review class, or waste any practice tests. My logic is that these books will give me the strategies needed to begin understanding how to effectively answer each question of the test. Is this wrong? Should I be taking practice tests WITH these books?

3. Is there some sort of overview book that I should read about the LSAT before I begin my studies? Or are both the powerscore books and the practice tests enough? Thanks!

NYCLSATTutor

Re: First post: Rudimentary questions

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 pm

1. Doesn't really matter.

2. You should take a test before studying. Then you should do untimed questions while going through the books. Don't, for the love of god, just take practice tests.

3. No.

gsenator

Postby gsenator » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks! So my next question is this:

If I am going to be doing a bunch of Untimed questions for each section, should I wait until I finish both books to begin this process? ( That way I know the strategies on how to answer each different kind of question. Also, This is a silly question, but If I am doing a bunch of untimed questions will it be possible for me to eventually run out of available practice tests!?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:26 pm

The books include drills and questions that you will be doing untimed as you move through the chapters.

I don't think there is any harm in taking 1-2 PTs while doing the books. Depends on how long it takes you to complete the books.. Also, I think 1 untimed PT can be good to take to see what concepts you need to work on. 90%+ PTs should be timed. Minimum # of PTs I would suggest someone takes is 6-8. Max ... 60 lol. I took 20-25 during my study time (for the first time I took the test). 15 seems ample.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:29 pm

I disagree with the first poster, even though his/her name is "NYCLSATutor". :lol:

I would say focus on one book at a time. Your goal is to master the concepts and question types that you'll find on every section. I would say start with the Logic Games Bible and then the Logical Reasoning Bible.

I do agree that you should not just take practice tests just for the sake of taking them. DO NOT take PT's until youre ready. This means until you have the concepts down, until you know how to attack the question, until you feel comfortable with the question types, DO NOT take practice tests. You'll waste materials and you wont improve. I cannot stress this enough.

Try to get Kaplan Mastery. The book does a majestic job of splitting the question types up.

Good luck!

tranquil

Postby tranquil » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Hey dude,

I'm still waiting on my October score, so I am by no means the authority on this, but here's my two cents:

I would recommend finishing your games and LR guides first, then follow NYCLSATTutor's advice about untimed practice questions to get things started. Go through them simultaneously. I would recommend using material from PT's 1-30 for untimed questions. I used the Traciela grouped by game and grouped by question books for this. Alternately you could get material from 1-20 from Cambridge LSAT. In retrospect, I probably should have used Cambridge because you can print them out and not worry about erasing pencil marks if you do them again.

Once your feet are wet you can begin timed tests from PT 30.

By the way, I went through the Powerscore logic games bible and things just didn't "click" for me. I felt much more comfortable after going through the Atlas logic game strategy guide (they just rebranded to "Manhattan"). I really like how they break games into diff. categories, but be advised that the most recent tests are showing greater hybridization, so use them just as a starting point. The Powerscore logical reasoning bible, however, is excellent. Again, this is just what worked for me. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”