Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

paratactical

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Not entirely sure how the MA can help still. If you can, research/seek out/talk to people in those fields, find out how they got there, and figure out if your plan is feasible.
The LGBT movement needs all the help it can get. I would recommend looking into that, unless women's rights is your one passion of you don't think gay rights = civil rights.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used "civil rights" but I was trying to get away from making any unnecessary commentary on "Women's Studies", which I thoroughly disprove of.

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

No offense, but OP sounds like someone I wouldn't want to share a bathtub with.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:56 pm

paratactical wrote:Yeah, I shouldn't have used "civil rights" but I was trying to get away from making any unnecessary commentary on "Women's Studies", which I thoroughly disprove of.

I'm into "studying women," is that the same thing?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:56 pm

bk1 wrote:
paratactical wrote:Yeah, I shouldn't have used "civil rights" but I was trying to get away from making any unnecessary commentary on "Women's Studies", which I thoroughly disprove of.

I'm into "studying women," is that the same thing?

The latter, I fully support.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:11 pm

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-confe ... s-student/ :|

Edit: The reasons for regret do not necessarily have to do anything with law, but rather education in general.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 pm

kwais wrote:
paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:You might be right in this case, but it's an epidemic on this site. Zero nuance, zero humility

I concur. Making post after post until others display what you find to be nuanced and humble is obviously a most humble undertaking that certainly doesn't display a gross amount of arrogance.

sorry that I'm not scared of you guys like most people around here. someone has to balance out the BS

I would love to hear more about your background. I find you to be both interesting and special. Please, tell us of your vast, worldly knowledge...

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:53 pm

shocktreatment wrote:I'm sure this has been addressed a number of times already, but I'm brand new to this forum and the idea of law school and the sheer number of posts here is rather daunting. To keep this simple, I'm just wondering what the BEST way to prepare for law school is. I know most people recommend taking the courses, but they're a bit out of my price range right now so I'd really like to start with some self study. What are the best books to start studying with?

Also, this is a long shot, but I'm going to apply to a joint J.D./M.A. program in Women's Studies. I've found this list:

George Washington University - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Cincinnati - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Florida - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Arizona - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Indiana, Bloomington - JD with a minor in Gender Studies

American University’s Women and International Law Program — LLM in International Legal Studies with a specialization in Gender and International Law

But does anyone know if there are any other programs that are joint JD/MA in women's studies OR any other law programs with a specific gender focus? Thanks!

I concur with the general conscious that your MA will prove of little to no monetary value, but I do not agree that it is a useless endeavour. I'm personally pursuing a double masters in Wind Engineering and Applied mathematics before heading to law school and it surely isn't because I think those degrees will garner me the green...do what you want, you only live once.

That said, if you are interested in law as it relates to genders your best bet would be HYS.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:I concur with the general conscious that your MA will prove of little to no monetary value, but I do not agree that it is a useless endeavour. I'm personally pursuing a double masters in Wind Engineering and Applied mathematics before heading to law school and it surely isn't because I think those degrees will garner me the green...do what you want, you only live once.

That said, if you are interested in law as it relates to genders your best bet would be HYS.

Except that those degrees would garner the green. At least much more so than a gender studies degree.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:35 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
paratactical wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Not entirely sure how the MA can help still. If you can, research/seek out/talk to people in those fields, find out how they got there, and figure out if your plan is feasible.
The LGBT movement needs all the help it can get. I would recommend looking into that, unless women's rights is your one passion of you don't think gay rights = civil rights.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used "civil rights" but I was trying to get away from making any unnecessary commentary on "Women's Studies", which I thoroughly disprove of.

Why? General uselessness? Too small a focus?

How about a JD/MA in African American studies?

General uselessness and tending to espouse wacky left-wing viewpoints.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:I froze during the second LR section of my PT today because paratactical's avatar popped into my head. :shock: It made me think about women's studies in general.

:lol:

Sorry dude.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:I concur with the general conscious that your MA will prove of little to no monetary value, but I do not agree that it is a useless endeavour. I'm personally pursuing a double masters in Wind Engineering and Applied mathematics before heading to law school and it surely isn't because I think those degrees will garner me the green...do what you want, you only live once.

Except that those degrees would garner the green. At least much more so than a gender studies degree.

They would if I were to use them but by heading to law school and ultimately by becoming a practicing lawyer, my masters in Wind Engineering and Applied Mathematics are worth about as much as her MA in Womens studies. Though, I think we can both agree that my program(s) are way way more cooler then the OPs! :P

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:06 pm

George Washington University - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Cincinnati - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Florida - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Arizona - JD/MA Women’s Studies

University of Indiana, Bloomington - JD with a minor in Gender Studies

American University’s Women and International Law Program — LLM in International Legal Studies with a specialization in Gender and International Law

Get the Powerscore Bibles, all 60 PT's, score 175 on the LSAT, go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, and then you will get whatever you want in whatever field you want. No need to get that MA. Joint degrees and programs in "international law" are just ways schools use to make more money (pretty brilliant if you ask me - where did those people go to biz school?).

Go to one of the schools you listed with that MA, and you might end up like the lawyer who runs one of the "law school regrets" blogs (I forget which one) who cleans toilets in Manhattan for a living.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:17 pm

rad law wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Why? General uselessness? Too small a focus?

How about a JD/MA in African American studies?

General uselessness and tending to espouse wacky left-wing viewpoints.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to point out that what I have highlighted in bold is probably the douchiest thing I have ever said on TLS, especially since I graduated with a 'useless' degree myself and goofed up twice on the LSAT. I apologize to shocktreatment for being a desperate 0L with nothing of value to contribute.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:04 am

Douchiest thing on TLS? Dude.. I said Douchier things on TLS than this last week...

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 am

reasonable_man wrote:Douchiest thing on TLS? Dude.. I said Douchier things on TLS than this last week...

The most I've ever said. It was obvious that I was trying to steer the thread into another direction (basic contempt of women's studies). I was sneakily taking a cheap shot at someone who was looking for helpful advice. It probably didn't help that I also commented on Katy Perry's bosom.

HBK wrote:No offense, but OP sounds like someone I wouldn't want to share a bathtub with.

I shook my head/laughed.

nina09

Postby nina09 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58 am

Don't get any books that say Lsat and Workout in the cover.

I got one and it was the worst mistake that a beginner can do.

I read it and the weeks of my finals , I took a break between studying for two finals and started putting in practice what the book said.

I was going to do the drills but that was a bad idea , the questions made no sense to me.

So took it to a real prep-test (29) and by POE with their strategy, I eliminated the answer which I would have originally chosen, I even mark them.

Turns out that some of the wrong ones , I had originally marked the the correct answer but thanks to the new strategy I eliminated it and put a wrong one..

I got around the median , and I did not answer about 10 questions. So I have a lot to work to get where I want to be.

If you are buying books get kaplan books and powerscore bibles , they make more sense and are more simple. I don't know your time frame , but there are a couple of study schedules around the net and in here.

I'm not taking it anytime soon ,so I'm not using the preptest yet.

I'm using the Bibles and Kaplan to develop a strategy that works for me ,to get familiarize with the vocabulary , since English is not my first language and playing sudoku to get use to.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 pm

rayiner wrote:If you're interested in gender discrimination suits, then get a JD from the best school you can (or the one you can go for the least debt) and try and work for a plaintiff's firm that does gender discrimination lawsuits. It'll be pretty low paying work (40-50k) but that's fine if you can keep your debt down.

As for preparation, buy the "Bibles" series from PowerScore and the official LSAC PrepTests (all can be found on Amazon). Take at least 10-15 of the PrepTests over a period of several months, trying to improve your score 10-15 points from your initial diagnostic.

I agree with both of these points. I don't know what your numbers (or finances) are like, but whatever you do, if you're going to get a law degree, then go to the best possible law school you can. I don't know much about the schools you mentioned, but definitely don't go to a school that's ranked, say, 30 spots below where you're capable of getting in just because they have the JD/MA program you want. If you really want to deal with the subject areas you mentioned, then I'm almost positive you'll be able to find a program in your range that has at the very least some sort of relevant courses or extracurriculars. And if you choose to do an MA on the side, then that's fine -- but your JD will be your "star" degree, so try to make the important decisions on that basis.

And yes, the Bibles are wonderful! LG especially, though LR is helpful too. I haven't used the RC, but I've heard it's decent, though not completely necessary.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 pm

I just don't understand Women's Studies.

Can somebody enlighten me why I should be exclusively learning about women? I mean, I've articulated a "working knowledge" of them... but - academically? Nope.

nina09

Postby nina09 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:26 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I just don't understand Women's Studies.

Can somebody enlighten me why I should be exclusively learning about women? I mean, I've articulated a "working knowledge" of them... but - academically? Nope.

The same reason someone choose social science/humanities, you learn things that you could have learned anyway while getting a more useful masters.

Instead of studying human in general , you will study only women.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”