Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm

The best way to prepare for law school is to prepare to get into the best school you can get into in the region you want to practice in. Keep your GPA up as high as possible if you're still in school and follow one of the study guides on here to get the highest LSAT possible.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:33 pm

OP, the MA will not actually help you reach any of your goals, but sunshine and puppies, go for it!

Congrats! you missed the point again. The courses one takes in a MA have content in them. This content might give him/her a perpsective or insight that focuses their goals or understanding of a certain topic area. This is not sunshine and puppies by any means. It's just a far less fearful view of life. Oh wait, I forgot, school and education is nothing but getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt. What was I thinking?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:35 pm

kwais wrote:Hey there
While most of these people have a point about the investment and possibilities of troubles in repaying loans, keep this in mind. Most people on this site don't understand what it means to pursue something you are interested in because it excites you. In fact, it downright makes them angry. The people who make a difference in the world are the people who are courageous and study what they want, not these fools for whom everything is black and white. Like I said, be very careful what you invest and do your homework, but don't let these idiots talk you out of what you care about. If you search this site you will see what it means to be a soulless, money-obsessed, sheltered child.
Good Luck


I don't think you're characterizing our viewpoints fairly.

OP can go get the MA if she wants, as long as she knows it's not gonna help her in practice, and the debt to get it (presumably OP will take out loans) will probably be excessively burdensome. That's all.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:36 pm

kwais wrote:OP, the MA will not actually help you reach any of your goals, but sunshine and puppies, go for it!

Congrats! you missed the point again. The courses one takes in a MA have content in them. This content might give him/her a perpsective or insight that focuses their goals or understanding of a certain topic area. This is not sunshine and puppies by any means. It's just a far less fearful view of life. Oh wait, I forgot, school and education is nothing but getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt. What was I thinking?


1) Learn how to quote

2) As to the bolded, sorry for doing a rational cost/benefit analysis.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:41 pm

[/quote]think you're characterizing our viewpoints fairly.

OP can go get the MA if she wants, as long as she knows it's not gonna help her in practice, and the debt to get it (presumably OP will take out loans) will probably be excessively burdensome. That's all.[/quote]

I certainly don't mean to characterize your viewpoints, but you did it again. "as long as she knows it's not gonna help her in practice". How can you make this statement?She will be well-informed and bring that to any application of career. you meant to say, "it MIGHT not help you GET a job" which is a valid, and more humble statement

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 pm

kwais wrote:
think you're characterizing our viewpoints fairly.

OP can go get the MA if she wants, as long as she knows it's not gonna help her in practice, and the debt to get it (presumably OP will take out loans) will probably be excessively burdensome. That's all.


I certainly don't mean to characterize your viewpoints, but you did it again. "as long as she knows it's not gonna help her in practice". How can you make this statement?She will be well-informed and bring that to any application of career. you meant to say, "it MIGHT not help you GET a job" which is a valid, and more humble statement


The likelihood of OP doing legit women's rights work all the time is definitely worth striving for, but it's nothing to bank on , even from a top school. OP will probably end up doing family law, which is fine, but I don't think the MA will add that much perspective or be that helpful. I just don't. My brief experience working for a family law practitioner didn't really require delving into these kinds of issues, for me or the lawyer. Most of it is fairly run-of-the-mill stuff. But if OP is down with the debt (which I really, really don't recommend in this economic climate), then go for it I guess.

But if OP really wants to have an effect on policymaking and that kind of stuff, going to law school and getting the MA probably isn't the best way to do it.

That's all I'm saying really.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:51 pm

rad law wrote:But if OP really wants to have an effect on policymaking and that kind of stuff, going to law school and getting the MA probably isn't the best way to do it.

That's all I'm saying really.


At the very least, a MA in Women's Studies or some other gender based MA is definitively not the way to go.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 pm

rad law wrote:
kwais wrote:
think you're characterizing our viewpoints fairly.

OP can go get the MA if she wants, as long as she knows it's not gonna help her in practice, and the debt to get it (presumably OP will take out loans) will probably be excessively burdensome. That's all.


I certainly don't mean to characterize your viewpoints, but you did it again. "as long as she knows it's not gonna help her in practice". How can you make this statement?She will be well-informed and bring that to any application of career. you meant to say, "it MIGHT not help you GET a job" which is a valid, and more humble statement


The likelihood of OP doing legit women's rights work all the time is definitely worth striving for, but it's nothing to bank on , even from a top school. OP will probably end up doing family law, which is fine, but I don't think the MA will add that much perspective or be that helpful. I just don't. My brief experience working for a family law practitioner didn't really require delving into these kinds of issues, for me or the lawyer. Most of it is fairly run-of-the-mill stuff. But if OP is down with the debt (which I really, really don't recommend in this economic climate), then go for it I guess.

But if OP really wants to have an effect on policymaking and that kind of stuff, going to law school and getting the MA probably isn't the best way to do it.

That's all I'm saying really.


You win! doesn't it feel good to use qualified and humble language?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

kwais wrote:You win! doesn't it feel good to use qualified and humble language?

You're so annoying.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:03 pm

kwais wrote:
You win! doesn't it feel good to use qualified and humble language?


Image

=/=

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:06 pm

rad law wrote:
kwais wrote:
You win! doesn't it feel good to use qualified and humble language?


Image

=/=

--ImageRemoved--


You might be right in this case, but it's an epidemic on this site. Zero nuance, zero humility

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:08 pm

kwais wrote:You might be right in this case, but it's an epidemic on this site. Zero nuance, zero humility


I concur. Making post after post until others display what you find to be nuanced and humble is obviously a most humble undertaking that certainly doesn't display a gross amount of arrogance.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:16 pm

paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:You might be right in this case, but it's an epidemic on this site. Zero nuance, zero humility


I concur. Making post after post until others display what you find to be nuanced and humble is obviously a most humble undertaking that certainly doesn't display a gross amount of arrogance.


sorry that I'm not scared of you guys like most people around here. someone has to balance out the BS

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:17 pm

kwais wrote:Congrats! you missed the point again. The courses one takes in a MA have content in them. This content might give him/her a perpsective or insight that focuses their goals or understanding of a certain topic area. This is not sunshine and puppies by any means. It's just a far less fearful view of life. Oh wait, I forgot, school and education is nothing but getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt. What was I thinking?


It's law school, not medical school. You're paying for the name on your degree, not for any practical set of skills. So yes, basically it is "getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt."

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:18 pm

kwais wrote:
paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:You might be right in this case, but it's an epidemic on this site. Zero nuance, zero humility


I concur. Making post after post until others display what you find to be nuanced and humble is obviously a most humble undertaking that certainly doesn't display a gross amount of arrogance.


sorry that I'm not scared of you guys like most people around here. someone has to balance out the BS


Do you seriously not realize how ridiculous it is for you to try to be the Humble Police?

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:22 pm

paratactical wrote:Do you seriously not realize how ridiculous it is for you to try to be the Humble Police?


I think these guys take it very seriously:

Image

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:25 pm

paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:
paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:You might be right in this case, but it's an epidemic on this site. Zero nuance, zero humility


I concur. Making post after post until others display what you find to be nuanced and humble is obviously a most humble undertaking that certainly doesn't display a gross amount of arrogance.


sorry that I'm not scared of you guys like most people around here. someone has to balance out the BS


Do you seriously not realize how ridiculous it is for you to try to be the Humble Police?


actually I enjoy the job. You guys lick each others butts all day and I come in and give another perspective. Until someone replaces me, I will police it up.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:26 pm

kwais wrote:actually I enjoy the job. You guys lick each others butts all day and I come in and give another perspective. Until someone replaces me, I will police it up.


Why do you have to hate on my salad tossing? I don't question your cum-guzzling or cock-sucking.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:26 pm

bk1 wrote:
kwais wrote:Congrats! you missed the point again. The courses one takes in a MA have content in them. This content might give him/her a perpsective or insight that focuses their goals or understanding of a certain topic area. This is not sunshine and puppies by any means. It's just a far less fearful view of life. Oh wait, I forgot, school and education is nothing but getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt. What was I thinking?


It's law school, not medical school. You're paying for the name on your degree, not for any practical set of skills. So yes, basically it is "getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt."


I can't wait to compete against anti-intellectuals like yourself for jobs one day. It will be great.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:26 pm

kwais wrote:actually I enjoy the job. You guys lick each others butts all day and I come in and give another perspective. Until someone replaces me, I will police it up.


I think you mean kiss each others asses. Wait, actually I think you mean finger each others butts.

I'm so confused. :cry:

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby kwais » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:27 pm

paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:actually I enjoy the job. You guys lick each others butts all day and I come in and give another perspective. Until someone replaces me, I will police it up.


Why do you have to hate on my salad tossing? I don't question your cum-guzzling or cock-sucking.


true. And I appreciate that.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:32 pm

kwais wrote:
bk1 wrote:
kwais wrote:Congrats! you missed the point again. The courses one takes in a MA have content in them. This content might give him/her a perpsective or insight that focuses their goals or understanding of a certain topic area. This is not sunshine and puppies by any means. It's just a far less fearful view of life. Oh wait, I forgot, school and education is nothing but getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt. What was I thinking?


It's law school, not medical school. You're paying for the name on your degree, not for any practical set of skills. So yes, basically it is "getting accepted, getting your t-shirt and going out into the world with big debt."


I can't wait to compete against anti-intellectuals like yourself for jobs one day. It will be great.


Very humble of you.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Brand new to the idea of Law School -- several questions

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 pm

kwais wrote:I can't wait to compete against anti-intellectuals like yourself for jobs one day. It will be great.

You are truly lulzy.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm

.
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests