Thinking about stuudying for a third time

merc280

Thinking about stuudying for a third time

Postby merc280 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Not sure how or if I should go about studying a third time just in case I don't do well on the Oct test. I took the June 2010 LSAT and got a 150 on it, I had been studying on line with the Blueprint course but wasn't able to finish the whole course by June, so I saved some of the prep test for the Oct test. After studying for 3 months using Blueprint again, and finishing their course I don't think I did well on the Oct test. I took around 14 practice tests and all of them ranged from 150-154 which I know is a horrible score.

Its not that I didn't learn the material properly but I always misread a word or two in the stimulus or answer choices that threw me off. If it hadn't been for those little mistakes I would make much higher on the tests but it was always the same number of questions I got wrong on every test even though it was different question types every time so I know it isn't the question type that's throwing me off.

Am I better off just trying to restudy on my own, or just take a prep course so I can get a better understanding from a real person why I'm doing these questions incorrectly? Im not sure how exactly I didn't on the real test, but I think i should just be prepared to study and take it a third time.

Ascend

Re: Thinking about stuudying for a third time

Postby Ascend » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 pm

If you understand the reason you are getting them wrong then it sounds like an attention to details issue. If this is something you have experienced consistently throughout your academic career, then you might want to consider getting tested for ADD. I've tried taking practice tests off my ADD meds just to see if I would do any better or worse and when I don't take my meds I experience the same results you do; lots of missed questions that I clearly knew the answer to but failed to acknowledge something simple in the stimulus or diagram.

Also, does your score go up if you slow down and don't time yourself? If so, then it might just be a matter of repetition until you can get up to speed with the accuracy you need.

Outside of either of these, a tutor is probably your best bet because they can help you diagnose what exactly you are doing wrong.

dcgbm

Postby dcgbm » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 pm

i strongly recommend taking the test untimed. if you can't get a high score untimed you can't get a high score timed. going from a high untimed score to a high timed score is not as tough as it seems. think of it as practicing a piece on the piano or any instrument; the speed comes naturally after enough practice. the problem with too many lsat preparers are that they start off practicing the piece at the normal tempo and get used to not paying attention to the small details that really matter.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:18 pm

dcgbm wrote:i strongly recommend taking the test untimed. if you can't get a high score untimed you can't get a high score timed. going from a high untimed score to a high timed score is not as tough as it seems. think of it as practicing a piece on the piano or any instrument; the speed comes naturally after enough practice. the problem with too many lsat preparers are that they start off practicing the piece at the normal tempo and get used to not paying attention to the small details that really matter.

Ive taken a few pt's untimed and the highest I ever got was close to a 158. I usually get tired of seeing question after question and then my brain just refuses to comprehend the information even though if I take a break and look back at the question I seems much more clear to me. So it doesn't seem like I would benefit any from a prep course. Should I just start reviewing things all over again and just use already done Practice tests as revision material?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 am

merc280 wrote:
dcgbm wrote:i strongly recommend taking the test untimed. if you can't get a high score untimed you can't get a high score timed. going from a high untimed score to a high timed score is not as tough as it seems. think of it as practicing a piece on the piano or any instrument; the speed comes naturally after enough practice. the problem with too many lsat preparers are that they start off practicing the piece at the normal tempo and get used to not paying attention to the small details that really matter.

Ive taken a few pt's untimed and the highest I ever got was close to a 158. I usually get tired of seeing question after question and then my brain just refuses to comprehend the information even though if I take a break and look back at the question I seems much more clear to me. So it doesn't seem like I would benefit any from a prep course. Should I just start reviewing things all over again and just use already done Practice tests as revision material?

Exposure, keep exposing your brain to the LSAT, make a game of it, make it interesting. You need to focus for 5 hours on test day you can't afford to lose interest like that.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Ive gotten discouraged from constantly getting the same number of questions wrong even though all of them have been a different types of questions wrong. I think I'm going to focus on games and try to get as close to -2 on that section in case I didn't do well on this oct test.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 pm

merc280 wrote:Ive gotten discouraged from constantly getting the same number of questions wrong even though all of them have been a different types of questions wrong. I think I'm going to focus on games and try to get as close to -2 on that section in case I didn't do well on this oct test.

This just shows that your problem isnt that you have apparent weaknesses on certain types of questions, but likely you are not completely focused. I was like you, scoring the same roughly each time but getting different types of questions wrong and a different amount wrong in different sections.

You have to figure out what your issue is, it may not even be LSAT related.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:26 pm

kkklick wrote:
merc280 wrote:Ive gotten discouraged from constantly getting the same number of questions wrong even though all of them have been a different types of questions wrong. I think I'm going to focus on games and try to get as close to -2 on that section in case I didn't do well on this oct test.

This just shows that your problem isnt that you have apparent weaknesses on certain types of questions, but likely you are not completely focused. I was like you, scoring the same roughly each time but getting different types of questions wrong and a different amount wrong in different sections.

You have to figure out what your issue is, it may not even be LSAT related.

how did you figure out what was wrong? It is just taking time off from looking at test material and then going back to it? or something else?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Maybe get a private tutor? It might help you focus at least while you are spending money being tutored and being accountable to the tutor for completing homework etc might help and they usually help you approach questions better/improve timing. Take a little break from LSAT but then realize that this is important. If you can sit through a 2.5 hour movie and pay attention, then you need to push yourself and hold that attention for 5 hours for the test since it is so important.

Go through the LRB and drill those questions. Take PT 50-61 this month (PT 56+ are pretty different) Read really boring stuff (for RC) and learn to pick out specific words that make answer choices wrong. Think of each question as a ball that's being thrown at you and you need to find the right answer (whether by prephrasing or POE) in order to stop the ball going 60mph from hitting you in the face (lol sorry for being dramatic/harsh).

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Sounds like a stamina/attention issue. You gotta learn to deal with this. The LSAT doesn't have a video section so you gotta get used to reading. And long, boring reading at that. Turn the tv off, start reading nothing but books and good online publications for hours on end and become reading oriented. For real, if you can't do it now, law school won't be any simpler..

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:For real, if you can't do it now, law school won't be any simpler..
When I was prepping, which seems like back in the 80s, I read one post that stuck with me: "You don't get to 'retake' exams."

I think it was JazzOne with the poker avatar... Anyhow, if you have attention span problems and struggle to read for hours and hours and hours,
law school won't be any simpler..

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”