Kaplan online course question

salvage

Kaplan online course question

Postby salvage » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Here's an interesting question. I'm scheduled to take Kaplan's Advanced Anywhere (online) course, starting tonight, and am on the website and in my syllabus, but there is no place to actually log-in to the online chat or whatever. Has anyone done this before? Was I supposed to be contacted by Kaplan to get any sort of instructions on how to actually initiate the live contact? This is frustrating and stupid.

jwmalone87

Re: Kaplan online course question

Postby jwmalone87 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Hey Salvage, we may actually be in the same class (LEVL10701?).

I got an email on Friday that gave you another course schedule, but also links and log-in information for the website. PM me if you need me to forward you another else (we have different log-ins, obviously, but I can give you the link).

salvage

Postby salvage » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:58 am

Thanks for the info. Turns out they sent me that second email to my .edu email address, which hasn't been functional in three years. They had my correct email address on file, but didn't use it. Dummies.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Why on earth would you use Kaplan? They are a terrible company that targets mediocre test takers.

Atlas, Blueprint, possibly Testmasters, and possibly Powerscore have online curriculums that are highly praised....why not go with one of those companies. I've seen Kaplan material and it sucks.

Let me give you an anecdote that helps sum up the suckiness of Kaplan: I am friends with a girl. She got a high ACT score than I did; a high SAT score than I did; she got a full ride to an Ivy League college, whereas I went to a Ivy-wanna-be with nowhere near a full ride; she is generally more intelligent than I am; she has a higher GPA than I do (at a school with a less-forgiving curve). She took Kaplan and I took Atlas. Her class met twice as often as mine did. As I talked about prep with her, I could tell that the quality of instruction she was receiving was much much worse than mine. She told me that "learning how to identify the most difficult problems so she could find and skip them." She finished the class and was not scoring anywhere near here she needed to score. I finished my class and I was right where I had hoped to be. So take it for what it's worth....

Atlas and Kaplan are both owned by the same company....one targets low scorers and one targets high. What was your rationale when deciding to enroll in a $1000+ course that is universally with a company that is disparaged on this board? Is it too late to get a refund?

IAMGenius

Postby IAMGenius » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Kaplan is definitely not as bad as everyone on this board says. Having taken the course, I will say that you have to be dedicated gondoing the homework and te stratosphere lessons. Haven't taken any otherclass so I don't know what they are about, but it is known that if you are gong To take kaplan then you take the Advanced class. Oh and I had a 157 when I started the class. Definetly think I hit 170 or better on the October test. Just remember I went far beyond just the required homework.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:44 pm

IAMGenius wrote:Kaplan is definitely not as bad as everyone on this board says. Having taken the course, I will say that you have to be dedicated gondoing the homework and te stratosphere lessons. Haven't taken any otherclass so I don't know what they are about, but it is known that if you are gong To take kaplan then you take the Advanced class. Oh and I had a 157 when I started the class. Definetly think I hit 170 or better on the October test. Just remember I went far beyond just the required homework.

I'd like to hear from you again when you get your score back!

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 pm

IAMGenius wrote:Kaplan is definitely not as bad as everyone on this board says. Having taken the course, I will say that you have to be dedicated gondoing the homework and te stratosphere lessons. Haven't taken any otherclass so I don't know what they are about, but it is known that if you are gong To take kaplan then you take the Advanced class. Oh and I had a 157 when I started the class. Definetly think I hit 170 or better on the October test. Just remember I went far beyond just the required homework.

But why why why why whywhy why why why whywhy why why why whywhy why why why whywhy why why why why would you choose to go with a company who's best defense is "they're not that bad?" Why would you choose them over companies that are known to be excellent?

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:09 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

But why why why why whywhy why why why whywhy why why why whywhy why why why whywhy why why why why would you choose to go with a company who's best defense is "they're not that bad?" Why would you choose them over companies that are known to be excellent?

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”