Stuff the LSAT likes Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Stuff the LSAT likes

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Bees

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm

#1 DINOSAURS!!!! Easily the most popular theme on the LSAT. It also cuts across all 3 sections. There are reading comp passages, logical reasoning questions, and logic games devoted solely to dinosaurs.

#2 Minority artists/authors.

#3 High blood pressure, heart disease, and cholesterol.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:Surprised no one has stated the big elephant in the room.... Well I'll go ahead... African American history passages... It honestly does seem as though every RC section is either about Thurgood Marshall, Martin Luther King Jr., W.E.B. Du Bois, or the civil rights era....
Yep, I would say that falls under the umbrella of minorities, which are probably more common than even dinosaurs.

flourish

New

Post by flourish » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:50 pm

Notice that Europeans and Asians (both South and East) are sorely underrepresented.

Also: 18th and 19th century feminists, meteors (I now hate dinosaurs of all kinds), quantum physics.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:52 pm

This has probably already been said but in terms of LR they greatly enjoy questions about increases or reductions in the legal speed limit and how this has "increased" or "decreased" safety. Other themes that might not have been mentioned are infants, exotic animals with special abilities (RC) and LG sets with some sort of 'council' (imagine that). Overall though I actually really like LSAC's topic choices. They're chosen for a reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:55 pm

unnecessary multisyllabic words

definitions separated by multiple sentences

opposing opinions in the same sentence and opinions in agreement separated by paragraphs

oh, and dancing bees.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:09 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:59 pm

For some reason I prefer the tangential topic of things LSAT people hate.
More:

Cold countries (Canada, Russia, Scandinavia, Alaska, Iceland? Anybody?), astronomy, the 17th century, alternative energy, South America, liberal arts colleges, quotations, cell phones, and video games.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 am

Pretty much every topic that is completely lacking in entertainment value.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:09 am

3|ink wrote:Pretty much every topic that is completely lacking in entertainment value.
Srsly dude? Cakewalk had me entranced.

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:12 am

Bees that overcome society's prejudices about their high blood pressure only to be killed when the city lowers the speed limit so they crash into a landfill.

But they can't be trusted because they may not represent all bees.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:14 am

Longhorn88 wrote:Bees that overcome society's prejudices about their high blood pressure only to be killed when the city lowers the speed limit so they crash into a landfill.

But they can't be trusted because they may not represent all bees.
The landfill is polluting a river because politicians are too busy making cursory judgments on all 1890s-1910s artists who need to see their patients on six different days of the week with certain restrictions.

akikaze

New

Post by akikaze » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Every time I see an argument presented by an "essayist" or "ethicist" I brace for impact.
HAHAHAHA love it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:32 am

LSAT Blog wrote:Edit: stufflsacpeoplelike.com appears to be available if anyone wants to grab what will likely be a huge Internet sensation.
This could be hilarious if the right person got a hold of it.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:38 am

Bees. LSAC uses bees as a topic a lot.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:45 am

Holy shit guys, you forgot bees!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:13 am

incompetentia wrote:Seems like India barely ever came up in my PTs. If somebody could care to back me up or refute me...
India and the Middle East are pretty poorly represented. Off hand, can't remember any question dealing with either.

There is always something about African or Mexican culture, and usually something to do with European history, England specifically.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:48 am

Ragged wrote:Can't believe no one said it yet: bees.
not just bees, honeybees

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:56 am

dhrizek wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Seems like India barely ever came up in my PTs. If somebody could care to back me up or refute me...
India and the Middle East are pretty poorly represented. Off hand, can't remember any question dealing with either.

There is always something about African or Mexican culture, and usually something to do with European history, England specifically.
Very good point.

India and M. East aren't there because they are relatively new in the American public consciousness, so I think our children will see it on the LSAT (sounds scary), since the LSAT is always lagging 5-10 years behind current events (they ones that are politically correct).

On the other hand, when it comes to first names on LG ordering games, they tend to include a wide array of African and Indo-European names, even though I don't remember seeing an Indian name on those either.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:08 am

Is anyone feeling nostalgic? I might read some RC passages before bed tonight. Bees...

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:05 am

lennonist wrote:
dhrizek wrote:

Very good point.

India and M. East aren't there because they are relatively new in the American public consciousness, so I think our children will see it on the LSAT (sounds scary), since the LSAT is always lagging 5-10 years behind current events (they ones that are politically correct).

On the other hand, when it comes to first names on LG ordering games, they tend to include a wide array of African and Indo-European names, even though I don't remember seeing an Indian name on those either.
I disagree about arabs being new. The Middle East has been on the radar at least since the 1970s and the oil embargo.The torture/wire tapping cases are fairly recent, but then again I don't think legal applicability has anything to do with whether something gets chosen for RC. When was the last time there was a law suit over the cake walk, for example?

I don't know how to explain it though. They are probably just trying to avoid controversy. Probably wouldn't want an RC passage by/about Salman Rushdie for example.

As for LG names, I just picked up PT60 to check it out...

Jhalani
Kanze
Lha

I guess it depends on how they are pronounced, but I think those are plausible names of Indians.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 am

dhrizek wrote:
lennonist wrote:
dhrizek wrote:

Very good point.

I disagree about arabs being new. The Middle East has been on the radar at least since the 1970s and the oil embargo.The torture/wire tapping cases are fairly recent, but then again I don't think legal applicability has anything to do with whether something gets chosen for RC. When was the last time there was a law suit over the cake walk, for example?

I don't know how to explain it though. They are probably just trying to avoid controversy. Probably wouldn't want an RC passage by/about Salman Rushdie for example.

As for LG names, I just picked up PT60 to check it out...

Jhalani
Kanze
Lha

I guess it depends on how they are pronounced, but I think those are plausible names of Indians.
The Middle East (which is inhabited not only by Arabs, btw) is a certainly not a new subject, it's just that it's coverage/substance is too controversial and too politically incorrect to be on the LSAT (as you mentioned).

Yes, indeed, of the ones you listed, Jhalani does sound Indian/Pakistani.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:21 am

lennonist wrote:
dhrizek wrote:

Very good point.

LSAC is slow to incorporate a lot of things into its tests. Some of the recent RCs on preptests essentially talk about computing might lead to the internet.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:35 am

From Powerscore...and it's true. LSAT likes non-whites RC passage-wise. Any narrative with authorial position is going to be positive. Every time the LSAT asks what the author's tone is on a non-white object of discussion or opinion of that subjects work, look for the strongest positive answer. It will be correct 99.9% of the time. The test-makers do not want to be accused of racial intolerance.

The converse is true for white critics of non-white subjects...the authoral position will usually be critical of critics' positions or opinion, and will paint their opinions as short-sighted, limited, narrow, biased, unenlightened, etc.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 am

PDaddy wrote:From Powerscore...and it's true. LSAT likes non-whites RC passage-wise. Any narrative with authorial position is going to be positive. Every time the LSAT asks what the author's tone is on a non-white object of discussion or opinion of that subjects work, look for the strongest positive answer. It will be correct 99.9% of the time. The test-makers do not want to be accused of racial intolerance.

The converse is true for white critics of non-white subjects...the authoral position will usually be critical of critics' positions or opinion, and will paint their opinions as short-sighted, limited, narrow, biased, unenlightened, etc.
Is that in the RC Bible? I wish I had bought that. Everybody said it wasn't necessary, but I think reading it would have been a more productive use of my time than banging my head against the wall every time I missed an RC question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”