Which Energy Drink Do You Recommend?

Colorado10

Which Energy Drink Do You Recommend?

Postby Colorado10 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Starbucks didn't work too well for me on Oct (many of your warnings about its effect on the digestive system proved to be true for me :roll: ), and I'm too relaxed/laid-back in my normal state.

I've never really used energy drinks before, and was wondering what the reputation/anecdotal evidence of the drinks (Red Bull, 5-hour energy drink) were.

I'll appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :P

Re: Which Energy Drink Do You Recommend?

Postby 2014 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:36 pm

5 hour energy has worked really well for me in the past on long drives to wake me up a bit. I would encourage you to try it first of course, it makes some people's heart race, but I think it's a good option. Can't comment on during the LSAT in particular though, I stayed awake pretty well.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Whatever you decide to use, use it on every PT for the week or two before your test as well. The only things that generally cause digestive distress are those that are unfamiliar.

I was looking for high-energy food to bring to the test, and I weaned myself on granola bars and cashews (two normally rarely consumed food items), and I was fine by the time the test rolled around (although earlier that week there may have been issues caused by one or the other).

I personally drink almost no caffeine nowadays...used to chug iced coffee like it was water but I find I'm less stressed and more productive when I actually sleep the amount I should. I was amped up enough that I actually had calm-down music for the drive to the testing center...you might find that that's enough to get you over.

spaghetticat

Postby spaghetticat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:47 pm

sugar-free red bull, costco sells them in a case of 24, comes out to around $1.50/can.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:21 am

Pomegranate juice seems to work pretty well, however, expect to get a wide variety of answers.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:35 am

Lo-Carb Monster put me in the zone, but I would suggest against using anything the day of. Find something that works for you and take it every time you do a PT. That way you know exactly how it will affect you.

I had half a Monster before going in to the test center and the other half at the break and I felt great. May not work for everyone though.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:26 am

5-hr energy was perfect for me. I took it on a PT the Thursday before the test because I normally do not drink/eat caffeine. I didn't have any problems with it then and had no problems on that Saturday. I honestly felt great and even fresh after the test.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 am

Last edited by jwaters on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 am

I am anti energy drinks... I'm convinced there will be severe side effects revealed about these things in the future.... But personally they do nothing but make my heart beat skip a beat and make me light headed.... Not a fan. At all.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:42 am

four lokos, obvi

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:43 am

I've heard of some super effective elixir that's made from the pockets of a pocket-fox, can't remember the name though

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:44 am

Just move from coffee to caffeine pills for the test. Should help with the bathroom problems.

Energy drinks are great for staying awake or having energy to do some physical activity. Not great for enhancing mental energy and focus IMO.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:45 am

Who are we kidding, just take adderall.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:48 am

Tainted_Praise wrote:I am anti energy drinks... I'm convinced there will be severe side effects revealed about these things in the future.... But personally they do nothing but make my heart beat skip a beat and make me light headed.... Not a fan. At all.

All of your posts make me feel suicidal. Please stop.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:07 am

Seriously? This is a thread? Snort adderall or drink coffee. You're not ready to graduate college.

ChiCubs14

Postby ChiCubs14 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:38 am

adderall

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:41 am

What happened to our nation when we are getting energy from drinks? Do like the 80's, do a bunch of blow and gel your hair. You'll be so amped!

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:50 am

I used to practically live on "No Fear" while in college. It also doesn't cause you to need to piss as frequently as Monster, for some odd reason.

It's got a good balance of sugar and other stuff, too, so drinking one during the break instead of a snack might be a good idea.

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:21 am

Monster java + adderall

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:23 am

I've heard good things about 5 hour energy. To be honest I prefer nothing.

In june I had coffee and was more of a negative than a positive.

In october I had no coffee, no caffiene, nothing at all except half of a banana right before the test. I wasn't all wired up and was still calm with a steady flow of fruit sugar energy.

At the end of the day you may have to experiment to find the best fit.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:35 pm

No energy drinks whatsoever. Start exercising, take daily vitamins, and eat a banana for potassium.

I've been training for an ironman and have never felt better in my entire life. I have absolutely zero endurance issues related to taking an LSAT. Now fixing silly mistakes....that's a different story.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Oct10 I was on 3-4 hours of sleeping in the backseat of a car after driving all night to get my passport, took half a 5 hour energy 1 hour before the test and was incredibly focused. Do not drink the whole thing at once, it will cause you to become too jittery and comprehension becomes harder.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 pm

naterj wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:I am anti energy drinks... I'm convinced there will be severe side effects revealed about these things in the future.... But personally they do nothing but make my heart beat skip a beat and make me light headed.... Not a fan. At all.

All of your posts make me feel suicidal. Please stop.

The content's not so bad. It's the puke color that does it for me.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:49 pm

gambelda wrote:No energy drinks whatsoever. Start exercising, take daily vitamins, and eat a banana for potassium.

I've been training for an ironman and have never felt better in my entire life. I have absolutely zero endurance issues related to taking an LSAT. Now fixing silly mistakes....that's a different story.

This. On the real thing you will have so much adrenaline pumping anyway, you wont need it. If you have trouble during PTs, then go for a run first, get the blood pumping, and just man, or woman, up...

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 pm

gambelda wrote:No energy drinks whatsoever. Start exercising, take daily vitamins, and eat a banana for potassium.

You tell people to avoid energy drinks, but your advice is sugar? Really? :) Bananas aren't even an especially great source of potassium. A potato or a small pork chop will have almost twice as much.

Personally I've been laying off the caffeine, but I would still choose a sugar-free energy drink over a banana.

I agree with exercising though. Some studies suggest that aerobic exercise may have a beneficial effect on cognition and learning.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”