Deciding whether I should retake.

ns77770

Deciding whether I should retake.

Postby ns77770 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:13 pm

I have a 3.95+ GPA but scored only a 159 on the Dec. 2009 LSAT. I took a powerscore course and I admit I worked hard during the class but I feel like the class was pretty much a waste of time and it was a mistake to rely on it like I did. I think I basically relied on broad strategies they teach instead of focusing on developing my own methods and strategies to do well on the test. So my question is this, I have already seen a lot of the available LSAT material from my class (although I have not seen it in a while) and I'm trying to figure out if I can score higher than I did by self studying. Any thoughts? I know with my GPA a few more points on the LSAT can make a big difference. Thanks for any help!

djjf39

Re: Deciding whether I should retake.

Postby djjf39 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:15 pm

OP, if your GPA is LSDAS adjusted then I would highly advise a re-take. Even if it is not, then you would still probably be better off studying hard and retaking.

I would suggest searching on TLS for PithyPike's guide, and basing your approach loosely off that.

Good luck.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:36 pm

djjf39 wrote:OP, if your GPA is LSDAS adjusted then I would highly advise a re-take. Even if it is not, then you would still probably be better off studying hard and retaking.

I would suggest searching on TLS for PithyPike's guide, and basing your approach loosely off that.

Good luck.

It is LSDAS adjusted, I'm just trying to figure out if a self study method, like the PithyPike method, would be more effective than a class or would I be wasting my time studying for a retake.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Any other advice?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:16 pm

I would try studying on your own for awhile before signing up for a re-take. See if you can achieve higher scores, review what you're missing, try to figure out your problems, and perhaps consult a tutor (check credentials/references) for a few sessions. Your GPA is awesome, with a higher LSAT you could open up your range of schools a lot more.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:19 pm

eit wrote:I would try studying on your own for awhile before signing up for a re-take. See if you can achieve higher scores, review what you're missing, try to figure out your problems

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:25 pm

eit wrote:I would try studying on your own for awhile before signing up for a re-take. See if you can achieve higher scores, review what you're missing, try to figure out your problems

I'd also do this if you have lots of free time until Dec (assuming you're considering taking then). If you have't read the bibles, then I'd go through those then start taking PTs (how many did you go through the first time around?). Don't worry about timing at first, and go through the answers you get wrong, knowing why the right answer is right and the wrong answer is wrong.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:26 pm

How often did you study outside of class? How many practice tests have you taken? A class is useful to provide a structure for you, if one is needed. But just taking a class and expecting a higher score with little to no work done outside the class is a terrible idea. You should be doing waaaaay more studying than that.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 pm

the studying before signing up idea is a good one. That is what I am kind of doing. I'm studying and taking PTs and if I start PTing consistantly above the score I already have, I will retake. Otherwise, there really isn't a point. Esp because your apps are in early, and you dont want to lose that edge for no reason :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”