LSAT more interesting than undergrad work?

nStiver

LSAT more interesting than undergrad work?

Postby nStiver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:43 pm

This may seem odd, but for some reason studying the LSAT for hours on end, day after day, is far more interesting than any class I am taking as an undergrad. It seems like something so repetitive and time consuming should be boring, but it is not. When I was prepping, I couldn't get enough of it. I would literally lose myself in the lsat questions, especially logic games, for hours at a time. I loved improving, the more familiar I became with the test, the more I liked it. Everyday I looked forward to it.

Now that the test is over my university classes seem boring and mundane. I used to be excited by my UG classes, but no longer. I have little to no interest in the undergrad subject matter. I don't care about spanish. I don't care about math. All I want to do is get into law school and start learning there.

Has anyone else experienced these post-LSAT doldrums? Why is something like the LSAT so interesting compared to normal class work?

Patriot1208

Re: LSAT more interesting than undergrad work?

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Definitely more interesting than some stuff, but I like my finance classes better.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:55 pm

I hear ya. The challenge and incremental improvements are extremely rewarding and addicting.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's possible you're not the most intellectual[ly]* curious person out there. There's no other answer for preferring taking PT's of a standardized test to reading, thinking, and listening to an expert talk about material for classes that you (presumably) selected.

*Edit.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

MrKappus wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but it's possible you're not the most intellectual[ly]* curious person out there. There's no other answer for preferring taking PT's of a standardized test to reading, thinking, and listening to an expert talk about material for classes that you (presumably) selected.

*Edit.

No offense taken. I am intellectually curious, and I have had a long and rewarding undergrad carrier. I think the real issue is that I am mopping up 100 level courses that I need to graduate. I am ready to move on.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:03 pm

nStiver wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but it's possible you're not the most intellectual[ly]* curious person out there. There's no other answer for preferring taking PT's of a standardized test to reading, thinking, and listening to an expert talk about material for classes that you (presumably) selected.

*Edit.

No offense taken. I am intellectually curious, and I have had a long and rewarding undergrad carrier. I think the real issue is that I am mopping up 100 level courses that I need to graduate. I am ready to move on.

Ah. In that case, lack of curiosity is to be expected. I still don't get liking LSAT more, but you can take solace in the fact that you're nearly done w/ UG.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:08 pm

MrKappus wrote:
nStiver wrote:

*Edit.

Ah. In that case, lack of curiosity is to be expected. I still don't get liking LSAT more, but you can take solace in the fact that you're nearly done w/ UG.

I think I just have the ability to zone out on the LSAT. I also like seeing improvement in my scores. As I said before, I could not give two shits about college algebra, or how to say hello in spanish. I am very much looking forward to the high-intensity environment of law school.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Haha if you like constant feedback law school's going to be a disappointment. I see what you're saying though.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 pm

I started to like the LSAT a decent amount. That's bound to happen to a lot of people though when you spend so much time on it and it just becomes a game after awhile. I found teaching it helps you like it even more too.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:37 am

Its because the LSAT is like a game that is to be conquered. Some people are just over achievers, and they want to beat every challenge that is presented. The lsat provides for us a challenge, an objective way of looking at progress, and a goal (180 or whatever it may be).

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:51 am

Any sbject matter that can evoke enogh emotion for you to hurl your books out of your 6th floor window is definitely more interesting than a regular college course.

I was lucky....I didn't hit a car or a person when mine landed. Of course, I think given the circumstances, the judge would have been rather leniant.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 pm

I loved the LSAT, it taught me 100x more than any amount of years at my undergrad could have.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:04 pm

I just want to say that stiver's avatar is awesome. Federer is the man, you can just tell from the pic that that inside out forehand is gonna fly. Such great form.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I loved my classes in spring, but I still found studying for the LSAT more fun than studying for my classes.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Who in hell doesn't love learning about Willa Cather and wetland preserves and parallel computing?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Definitely more interesting than some stuff, but I like my finance classes better.

This.

Nothing is more interesting than a case study on IPOs or choosing between 2 mutually exclusive capital budgeting projects. NOTHING!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:36 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Definitely more interesting than some stuff, but I like my finance classes better.

This.

Nothing is more interesting than a case study on IPOs or choosing between 2 mutually exclusive capital budgeting projects. NOTHING!

Nice avatar.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

This.

Nice avatar.

Haha! Spike FTW!

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:35 pm

i hear you man, i actually enjoy studying for the lsat, cant say that about anything else

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Ragged wrote:I just want to say that stiver's avatar is awesome. Federer is the man, you can just tell from the pic that that inside out forehand is gonna fly. Such great form.

Ya you know he is just going to pound the shit out of that ball. Federer is still far and away my favorite tennis player, even though he isn't quite as dominant as he used to be.

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 pm

I've never taken a logic class in undergrad, and I find learning logic very addicting and entertaining.

mteevin

Postby mteevin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:38 pm

i've had a difficult time paying attention and applying myself in the classroom post-LSAT, but for a different reason. i graduate in december, and i'm only taking 6 hours right now that i simply need the credits for. my transcripts are sent, i will not be sending updated ones, since my GPA will not move (except negligibly). this makes for an utter lack of motivation to do anything more than mediocre work until graduation -- i figure i'll be working my butt off the next three years, so i may as well enjoy it now.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:17 pm

As soon as an LSAT argument begins, "There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet market," I'm hooked.

Every now and then my students talk about this, especially the repeat students (the ones who went up 10 points in the first go-round but are taking the test again because they wanted to go up 20 points, that sort of thing). There's a certain amount of instant gratification in studying for the LSAT. You work for 3 hours on a test, and then BAM, instantly you get a score that tells you how you did.

Then there are the jokes that LSAC inserts into some of the answer choices (the flaw in the argument is that it "appeals to the emotion of fear, which is often experienced by people faced with the prospect of losing their jobs to robots" or the [correct!] application of the principle is that the mother told her child that she loved both her children equally, even though it was NOT TRUE). You know that they think the LSAT is fun, too. Unless you have professors who are very dry and intense and then break the tension with totally unexpected levity randomly about once every half hour, you're not going to get the same sort of thing in class.

Plus, logic games are fun (once you get how to do them), and most people don't do anything like them in any class they ever take in undergrad.

So if you're just filling out the rest of your schedule with classes you have to take in order to graduate, it's not at all surprising that you're feeling a little bit of a let down after the LSAT. Hopefully you'll like law school.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:25 pm

tomwatts wrote:As soon as an LSAT argument begins, "There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet market," I'm hooked.

Every now and then my students talk about this, especially the repeat students (the ones who went up 10 points in the first go-round but are taking the test again because they wanted to go up 20 points, that sort of thing). There's a certain amount of instant gratification in studying for the LSAT. You work for 3 hours on a test, and then BAM, instantly you get a score that tells you how you did.

Then there are the jokes that LSAC inserts into some of the answer choices (the flaw in the argument is that it "appeals to the emotion of fear, which is often experienced by people faced with the prospect of losing their jobs to robots" or the [correct!] application of the principle is that the mother told her child that she loved both her children equally, even though it was NOT TRUE). You know that they think the LSAT is fun, too. Unless you have professors who are very dry and intense and then break the tension with totally unexpected levity randomly about once every half hour, you're not going to get the same sort of thing in class.

Plus, logic games are fun (once you get how to do them), and most people don't do anything like them in any class they ever take in undergrad.

So if you're just filling out the rest of your schedule with classes you have to take in order to graduate, it's not at all surprising that you're feeling a little bit of a let down after the LSAT. Hopefully you'll like law school.

I love the principle question where one of the answers states that the guy agreed to go on a canoe trip with his family, despite having severe heart problems, because he did not want to inconvenience his wife, who had made the plans far in advance. That one cracks me up every time.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:31 pm

tomwatts wrote: if you're just filling out the rest of your schedule with classes you have to take in order to graduate, it's not at all surprising that you're feeling a little bit of a let down after the LSAT. Hopefully you'll like law school.

Yes, because if you hate having a schedule filled to the brim with classes you are forced to take, you will find that law school is a complete 360 degree transition.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”