DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

User avatar
Cmoss
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Cmoss » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:21 am

i originally thought I was going to take the december test....now it has become apparent i will need an additional 6 months of studying to get the score I need for law school...june 2011 here i come!

Good luck ya'll!

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby gambelda » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm here! Let's destroy this thing. Trying to turn my -10 on RC sections into a nice, round -3 or -4. Would finally allow me to break 170!

User avatar
Ronnie_Coleman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 am

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Ronnie_Coleman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Joining this thread -- I've been on this site for a few months now. Got a 162 in June and just re-took thinking I had done much better. Came back to a dismal 160 for October, and the Law School dream is pretty much shot. My Target Schools were most of the t14 except for HYS

Prep for the June Was:
-Testmasters (2008 summer course)
-25+ PTs
-5 most recent PTs
Prep for October Was:
-5 most recent PTs
-LR Bible
-LG Bible

My PT average was 171.5 over all of my tests between June and October. I don't know how I dropped 11.5 points from my PT average, but I think it was a combination of nerves / feeling rushed to finish sections (never happened in PTs). I'm thinking of using aesis' method of 30 minute sections to try and mitigate this.

Since I'm still in "study mode" - should I retake in December while I'm fresh? or should i take time off and do it next June. I'll probably apply next cycle.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Ronnie_Coleman wrote:Joining this thread -- I've been on this site for a few months now. Got a 162 in June and just re-took thinking I had done much better. Came back to a dismal 160 for October, and the Law School dream is pretty much shot. My Target Schools were most of the t14 except for HYS

Prep for the June Was:
-Testmasters (2008 summer course)
-25+ PTs
-5 most recent PTs
Prep for October Was:
-5 most recent PTs
-LR Bible
-LG Bible

My PT average was 171.5 over all of my tests between June and October. I don't know how I dropped 11.5 points from my PT average, but I think it was a combination of nerves / feeling rushed to finish sections (never happened in PTs). I'm thinking of using aesis' method of 30 minute sections to try and mitigate this.

Since I'm still in "study mode" - should I retake in December while I'm fresh? or should i take time off and do it next June. I'll probably apply next cycle.


If your applying next cycle, just wait. Dont burn off your last test (3 tests in 2 yrs) and risk something going wrong unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you can get back into your target range by then.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Pleasye » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Joining to retake after a horrible October score.

I need a test center to open up so I can sign up :(

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby aesis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm

If you're applying next cycle, just take June, unless you're willing NOW to take more than just the 5 most recent PTs. If you're already hitting target, prepping for a December retake seems to be about speed and mastering accuracy, nothing left to learn, just a bunch of things to master, which means an emphasis on section practice, not question types, unless you're having major issues with certain questions. Hope that makes sense ...

It's up to you to decide whether you want to take advantage of your fresh skillzzz for six weeks or wait three months, forget a lot of the material and re-prep for another 3 month block. :)

User avatar
Ronnie_Coleman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 am

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Ronnie_Coleman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:07 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:If your applying next cycle, just wait. Dont burn off your last test (3 tests in 2 yrs) and risk something going wrong unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you can get back into your target range by then.


Thanks for the advice cowgirl_bebop -- I agree it would be a waste to burn my last test, and I should maybe take it in Feb or June. However, I feel that I'm fresh and capable of hitting between 169-173 on all my practice tests (as I was during my study between June and October) -- What's funny is that my tests were nearly identical:

October LR1: -4, RC: -7, LR-6, LG -9
June LR1: -2, RC: -7, LR-6, LG -9

LG is usually my strongest section (-1 or -2 max).

Keep in mind I've devoted 2 years of my life to HARDCORE studying for this exam. This has not been a passing interest of mine, and I've been putting in serious hours, but my studying has clearly been ineffective in getting me ready to perform on test day, and has only been successful in allowing me to get good PT scores. I need to come into the test with the same mindset as PT practice days, and not get so nervous.

I've read pithypikes guide (even have it printed in front of me at work in my cubicle), but I'd appreciate some advice as to how you'd approach this test next time. I can go through the bibles again, but there's clearly a pattern here and I'm running out of ideas (besides limiting myself to 30 minute sections) to approach studying this time around.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Sandro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Changed my tar to Donovan. He redeemed himself on his 3rd world cup. My 3rd LSAT is mine.

User avatar
Ronnie_Coleman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 am

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Ronnie_Coleman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:15 pm

aesis wrote:If you're applying next cycle, just take June, unless you're willing NOW to take more than just the 5 most recent PTs. If you're already hitting target, prepping for a December retake seems to be about speed and mastering accuracy, nothing left to learn, just a bunch of things to master, which means an emphasis on section practice, not question types, unless you're having major issues with certain questions. Hope that makes sense ...

It's up to you to decide whether you want to take advantage of your fresh skillzzz for six weeks or wait three months, forget a lot of the material and re-prep for another 3 month block. :)


I totally agree with this -- I'm feeling like I'll have to "restart" after December. I think the fundamentals are there, I know I can get good scores if I stay calm and focused on test day. I'll have to read your thread to see what you're doing to achieve this too -- since I saw you were hitting 180s a few times on PTs as well.

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby lparker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:43 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:Joining to retake after a horrible October score.

I need a test center to open up so I can sign up :(

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted... Sucks. I did not even consider scoring as low as I did. It was 3 points lower than what I thought was the worst case scenario. December is our redemption! Good Luck with the test center.

chebbyshev
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby chebbyshev » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:15 pm

x
Last edited by chebbyshev on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:24 pm

whens the latest date you can un register and get some money back for december?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Pleasye » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:20 pm

northwood wrote:whens the latest date you can un register and get some money back for december?

November 19. Omg if you're in the LA area please un register so I can have your spot.

ETA: Thanks lparker. I know we can do it this time around! I did not have high expectations for my score but didn't expect something so low :/. So I feel ya.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby akili » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Made my schedule for the next ~38 days. PTs every day but Sundays and drilling on top of that. Frick yeah, I'm going to kill this.

(I really have to kill this)

User avatar
dlbuhr
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby dlbuhr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:03 am

akili wrote:Made my schedule for the next ~38 days. PTs every day but Sundays and drilling on top of that. Frick yeah, I'm going to kill this.

(I really have to kill this)


Just got done making my schedule as well. Started with drilling LR yesterday. Today RC.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby aesis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:53 pm

akili wrote:Made my schedule for the next ~38 days. PTs every day but Sundays and drilling on top of that. Frick yeah, I'm going to kill this.

(I really have to kill this)


A PT EVERY day?
You sure you won't burn out? I admire it, but I'm worried that's way too much.

And why do I wish December would come in two weeks. Ugh.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Rikkugrrl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Rikku: *pokes her head into tutor's office* Hello!

Tutor: *gives her a look like 'oh god not you again'*

Lol, the LSAT tutor at my school had a pretty sweet gig. Hardly anyone ever showed up for his classes last year...until I started coming every week. I bet I seriously irritate him :D.

That said, he's a good guy. He reminded me that I only need to answer five more questions right to get a 164, given an average curve. That sounds like a small number...I know it's not, but I like the way it sounds.

Last chance for me, good luck to all!

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby ATR » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Rikku: *pokes her head into tutor's office* Hello!

Tutor: *gives her a look like 'oh god not you again'*

Lol, the LSAT tutor at my school had a pretty sweet gig. Hardly anyone ever showed up for his classes last year...until I started coming every week. I bet I seriously irritate him :D.

That said, he's a good guy. He reminded me that I only need to answer five more questions right to get a 164, given an average curve. That sounds like a small number...I know it's not, but I like the way it sounds.

Last chance for me, good luck to all!

You have an LSAT tutor at your school? That's really convenient.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Rikkugrrl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:09 pm

rso11 wrote:
lparker wrote:
akili wrote:I think I might be joining yall. I have 2 (!!) 160s from last December and this October and I'm very bummed. Would it be ok to submit apps now and retake in December? I'm worried about having a late cycle, but I honestly feel like I can do so much better and I'm so upset about getting the same score.


That's what I'm doing--applying now with the note that I'm retaking in December. Did you look at the chart for acceptances? My top choice wasn't listed, but a similar school had a fair number of admits in January. I'm worried that all the scholarships will have been given out already, but I'm unfortunately in the dreaded "consider" region according to LSP. It's a sad place to be...

Plus, I think better LSAT> applying earlier, right?


Can you just put that note abt December/ask them to hold the file in an addendum?


Do you need to actually tell them "hey I'm retaking in December please hold my file?" All my apps have space for "future LSAT dates." If we need to write them an email, who do we send it to?

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Rikkugrrl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm

atresia wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Rikku: *pokes her head into tutor's office* Hello!

Tutor: *gives her a look like 'oh god not you again'*

Lol, the LSAT tutor at my school had a pretty sweet gig. Hardly anyone ever showed up for his classes last year...until I started coming every week. I bet I seriously irritate him :D.

That said, he's a good guy. He reminded me that I only need to answer five more questions right to get a 164, given an average curve. That sounds like a small number...I know it's not, but I like the way it sounds.

Last chance for me, good luck to all!

You have an LSAT tutor at your school? That's really convenient.


*nods* Yep! And he's free! The only downside is it's a class, but since I was the only one who showed up for about half the sessions last semester it might as well be private. He's really good too; got my LG down from -14 on first PT to -2 on the real thing. Why more people don't take advantage of it is a mystery to me...maybe that explains our school's low 150s average...

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby akili » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:13 pm

The PT every day thing is starting with the "easier" tests. I'm unemployed so it's pretty much the only thing I have to "fit in" to my day. I don't know if I can keep it up either, but I desperately need to take more PTs and improve my consistency.

User avatar
Golden Boy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Golden Boy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm fairly fired up for this Dec. exam. Diagnostic of 158 through Kaplan, studying on my own though. Been through LG bible and I've got about 20 practice tests to go through. 170 or bust baby!!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby minnbills » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm retaking in February.

I'm going to take PTs 35-58 (for the first time)
And finish the LR and RC bibles, which I didn't find helpful the first time around.

My goal is to be in the 167-170 range.

Oct. Test: 162.
Pt range: 159-172. Avg. 165.

Oct. Breakdown:
RC. -4
LR -8
LG -6
LR -3

I didn't get enough sleep the night before and it killed me on the LR, my 3rd section of the test.

I figure if I can keep my LR/RC score to -3/4 and near perfection on LG I should be in great shape. Easier said than done though.

Good luck all.

User avatar
Golden Boy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Golden Boy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Wow, I haven't studied in over a month. Can you say, rusty........... Trying to juggle 18 units and working 40 hrs/wk with this and 38 days to go..............caffeine is my friend!

User avatar
keeran23
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby keeran23 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:38 pm

So I just retook 2 sections of the October LSAT which I did terrible on.

DRASTIC turnaround (I did not remember anything really except for one key deduction in the racers game in LG). I realize now that maybe my score was because of nerves and lack of endurance. The material almost seemed to make fun of me as the stimuli literally gave me the answers in LR.

I'm feeling much better in my abilities, and now am confident that my score is unrepresentative of my true ability!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests