DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

kinorkahol

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby kinorkahol » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Yes! After my day off, this thread was exactly what I needed! December 2010 ftw!

mandobob

Postby mandobob » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:16 pm

phannahan44 wrote:Quick Q:

For those of you taking the test in December (for the FIRST time) and planning on entering LS in fall 2011: Have you all already started / officially opened applications to schools? I am hesitant to open apps BEFORE I receive my score because I will be applying to schools based largely on how I do on the LSAT. For example, I would hate to apply to Wisconsin (my #1 choice) and then find out that I bombed the test...?

I apologize in advance if this question is redundant. I'm sure it is. Any thoughts or input are much appreciated. Thanks.

Hey,
I was planning on doing the same thing. I was happy to know that they receive unfinished applications, however they will not 'see' them until the are complete. I thought though, if we sent them in early and were only missing the LSAT score, then the application would be on file. -meaning that they wouldnt need to wait for the full application to arrive (saving probably 2 weeks)..... :|

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Hell yea!
I haven't officially registered yet but let's rock this test!!!
I'm hoping the bump from 165 to ~170 will be enough for Fordham.
I just hope I can actually score around my current PT average this December.

dlbuhr

Postby dlbuhr » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Well just got my October test score just to confirm my decision to register for December.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 pm

just got my october test back. I will wait until the pdf's are open to make a final decision to re take or not. When is the last day we can get a full refund for the december lsat?

veragood

Postby veragood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Dude.. 6 hrs per day? You know your brain needs time to recover and actually make connections on what it learned... take a week off while you still can. You'll thank me.

JeanGrey

Postby JeanGrey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:26 am

I am with you guys!

bendtheslurry

Postby bendtheslurry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:30 am

If you retake in december do you hold your apps until you get that score back or do you submit soon and just have the new score sent?

ren2011

Postby ren2011 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:43 am

It's up to you, really. It's a rolling admissions process, so, in general, earlier is better. But if you're hoping to apply to better schools with a score improvement, then you want them to see/decide based on your highest score. Some schools average both scores-- see http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html.

Personally, I'm planning on applying to safeties now, but holding off on my "fit" and "reach" schools until the 2nd LSAT score is released.

carpquiet

Postby carpquiet » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:32 am

Hey y'all.

167 in October here. Happier about it than I thought I would be. But I'm here to grind it out with y'all to dominate in December. I honestly feel like we can wreck wreck wreck this test. I've already taken a million practice tests but I still suck at LG and just gotta improve those (I think.) I was a lurker last time but I'm gonna be in the mix this time. We're gonna be good. Let's do it y'all.

First I am gonna chill this weekend though.

lparker

Postby lparker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Joining... Reluctantly... I'm a retaker from October. I just ordered the RCB. Anyone here read it? Good luck all!

akili

Postby akili » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:14 pm

I think I might be joining yall. I have 2 (!!) 160s from last December and this October and I'm very bummed. Would it be ok to submit apps now and retake in December? I'm worried about having a late cycle, but I honestly feel like I can do so much better and I'm so upset about getting the same score.

whitefeather2011

Postby whitefeather2011 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:20 pm

3.4 GPA 170 LSAT T-10 Ivy URM

Okay so I'm obsessed with Stanford want to go there so badly for good reasons
2nd choice would be Mich with money.

I know I'm capable of getting a 177+ at least 175+ on the test (PTing really high but was really ill during my last test) and I think that will really help my 3.4ish GPA... maybe it wont push me over the edge with Stanford (although I think my recs and PS and DS are really stellar) but I'm hoping it gives me $$ at Michigan (the LSAT i mean)

is it worth taking the LSAT in December and waiting to apply if I think I can score that high or does it hurt me so much to wait that long to apply that the possible 7+ jump in LSAT wont make it up?

any serious/honest advice would be super super helpful/appreciated!!!

lparker

Postby lparker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:35 pm

akili wrote:I think I might be joining yall. I have 2 (!!) 160s from last December and this October and I'm very bummed. Would it be ok to submit apps now and retake in December? I'm worried about having a late cycle, but I honestly feel like I can do so much better and I'm so upset about getting the same score.

That's what I'm doing--applying now with the note that I'm retaking in December. Did you look at the chart for acceptances? My top choice wasn't listed, but a similar school had a fair number of admits in January. I'm worried that all the scholarships will have been given out already, but I'm unfortunately in the dreaded "consider" region according to LSP. It's a sad place to be...

Plus, I think better LSAT> applying earlier, right?

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:08 pm

I'm planning to abandon my social life this November to keep up with classes and to ensure that the LSAT goes smoothly this December.
My target is 180 but I'd be happy with anything 170+.

dlbuhr

Postby dlbuhr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm

whitefeather2011 wrote:3.4 GPA 170 LSAT T-10 Ivy URM

Okay so I'm obsessed with Stanford want to go there so badly for good reasons
2nd choice would be Mich with money.

I know I'm capable of getting a 177+ at least 175+ on the test (PTing really high but was really ill during my last test) and I think that will really help my 3.4ish GPA... maybe it wont push me over the edge with Stanford (although I think my recs and PS and DS are really stellar) but I'm hoping it gives me $$ at Michigan (the LSAT i mean)

is it worth taking the LSAT in December and waiting to apply if I think I can score that high or does it hurt me so much to wait that long to apply that the possible 7+ jump in LSAT wont make it up?

any serious/honest advice would be super super helpful/appreciated!!!

If you feel like you can definitely make that +7 jump I would retake. That's just me though.

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:28 pm

Looks like I'll be joining the party as well. Scored way lower in Oct than on my PTs, so I'll be taking it again with a focus on my LR sections.

Goodbye friends. I'll miss you

ffonsok

Postby ffonsok » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:31 pm

After scoring 160-165 consistently in practice test, I pulled a 153 on Oct 2010.

Retaking in december, prep starts RIGHT NOW. My AIM username is dirtbag8820 and I am almost always online. Add me and we should get a group together for questions / comments / etc.

timelysarcasm

Postby timelysarcasm » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm a December taker as well. It will be my first (last) LSAT. I plan to murder this test.

I've been reading this board a lot, and oddly enough, I had jitters reading along as people were waiting for their scores.

Good luck to all - and I would be interested in a discussion group as well. My AIM is timelysarcasm.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:25 pm

lparker wrote:
akili wrote:I think I might be joining yall. I have 2 (!!) 160s from last December and this October and I'm very bummed. Would it be ok to submit apps now and retake in December? I'm worried about having a late cycle, but I honestly feel like I can do so much better and I'm so upset about getting the same score.

That's what I'm doing--applying now with the note that I'm retaking in December. Did you look at the chart for acceptances? My top choice wasn't listed, but a similar school had a fair number of admits in January. I'm worried that all the scholarships will have been given out already, but I'm unfortunately in the dreaded "consider" region according to LSP. It's a sad place to be...

This'll be my 3rd time taking the LSAT and I applied last year after the December test. Some schools I definitely was hurt at because of the late app, but I still got in to some great ones! As long as you apply RIGHT after the December scores are released, you should still have an excellent chance at a lot of schools, at least in my experience.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:32 pm

akili wrote:
lparker wrote:

This'll be my 3rd time taking the LSAT and I applied last year after the December test. Some schools I definitely was hurt at because of the late app, but I still got in to some great ones! As long as you apply RIGHT after the December scores are released, you should still have an excellent chance at a lot of schools, at least in my experience.

Good luck fellow December LSAT 3rd time taker. Do you know if taking the December LSAT will hurt me a lot applying to Cornell?

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:37 pm

what are you guys doing for prep. tell me.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Pastels wrote:Due to being a bit anxious on LR1 I will be retaking. I am
hoping for a 166-168 in October and a 172 plus in December. I will resume studying in November. Working pt 45-61 again.

This is about where I stand. Got a 167 in October. Underperformed due to sleep deprivation and the diuretic effect associated with substances that counteract sleep deprivation. Barely finished (sometimes didn't finish) any sections although I frequently finish before time is up in practice. Shooting for 172 +/- 2 or so in December.

I haven't taken all the PTs, specifically the ones in the 50's. I took the latest one right before the test just to expose myself to the "most modern" one I could.

My plan, then, is to take at least 5 PTs in the 50's. I'm going to take 5 sections at a sitting instead of 4. So I'll take a whole PT, then the first section of the next PT. The following week/few days I'll take the 3 remaining sections of the 2nd PT and the first 2 sections of the 3rd PT. Etc. I'm going to time myself 30 minutes per section to be finished answering. The remaining 5 minutes will be devoted to checking my bubbling and reviewing the tougher questions.

Basically, I'm working on consistency, pacing, and timing now. I can't let another LSAT go awry due to "logistic" factors. I would rather have a nearly-guaranteed 172 than the chance at a 176 but a risk of another 167. I still have a chance at 175+ with a little luck and focus. I just can't risk underperforming again.

With a 2.9/163/167/172 I'm pondering my options. I may try to ED at GULC. Maybe even ED to the PT program just to hedge my bets. I have a full time job as a chemist (and am am adjunct chemistry instructor at the local college) so my application to the PT program would look well justified. If not GULC, I'll certainly be submitting a RD to GWU (probably also PT to try and hedge my bets), so maybe they'll let me in.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:15 pm

New to the December boat. Retaking a 167 from the October test.

I have a LONG way to go on games (-8, ugh), but they say its the easiest section to pick up points on. If I can (with the help of Zeus) get that down to -0 or -1 I can be back over my 170 target. I also had a freak -5 LR section, which I KNOW I can do better on. My RC was -1 and my other LR was -2, so I feel good about those.

I guess Im just going to DRILL DRILL DRILL games (I never bought the LG Bible, so I will do that) and just make sure to stay good at LR and RC. I am pretty confident that I can pick up those 3 points on the December test and get a MUCH better score on the 11th. Good luck to everyone!

aesis

Postby aesis » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi, I'm in on this thread. Another motivational Prep thread with a killer subject title. :)
Retaking a 166 shocker after averaging low 170s.

I'll be working on apps intermittently in hopes I can finish them soon. I've received a few CRS fee waivers (including UVA, hurrah?), but it looks like I'll be biting the bullet when I submit pre-January. The decision date charts really make me nervous/sad, but it'll be worth it when I get my 170+.

Revenge.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”