DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

gambelda

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby gambelda » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am

Damn your scores are nuts! I was going to post here that I finally broke 170 last night! Scored a 171 on preptest #47

-2 LR
-4 RC
-3 LR
-0 LG (28 minutes)

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Pt29 + RC20 as exp today.

167 scaled. 85 Raw. -7 LR, -8 RC, -1 LG, -4 RCexp. :x

I don't know what to say... I missed 5 RC questions on the second passage. LR performance was poor, and ran out of time on LG for the first time since after reading the LGB.

Blaming focus. I'll review everything I missed more closely later today. Might do some section work tonight if I have time.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Well, I scored shitty on my PT today but I have at least some good news! I was looking on LSAC now that my transcripts are all received. I thought my GPA was going to be 3.03 but found the following:

"Degree (Summary) GPA: 3.04
Cumulative GPA: 3.10"

Turns out, law schools just look at cumulative GPA. Great news! This should help a lot on my ED app to UVa. Now to just master the LSAT.

Cmoss

Postby Cmoss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Nonok wrote:Well, I scored shitty on my PT today but I have at least some good news! I was looking on LSAC now that my transcripts are all received. I thought my GPA was going to be 3.03 but found the following:

Turns out, law schools just look at cumulative GPA. Great news! This should help a lot on my ED app to UVa. Now to just master the LSAT.

Noob Question: Where do you find your GPA?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Cmoss wrote: Noob Question: Where do you find your GPA?

On your academic summary report

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Nonok wrote:Well, I scored shitty on my PT today but I have at least some good news! I was looking on LSAC now that my transcripts are all received. I thought my GPA was going to be 3.03 but found the following:

They reconfigure your GPA according to their standards. Are you a transfer student?

Congrats on the boost!

akili

Postby akili » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm starting at the beginning so PT9 today

RC -1 (hell yes! that's where it's supposed to be)
LR1 -2
LG -3
LR2 -3

Raw 92
Scaled 174

A couple of the LR questions on the second section had me going WTF? I'll go back and review the whole test tonight but overall I felt very good!

A question for yall. I'm a really fast reader and I'm finishing the sections very very early (10+ minutes) What do I do with that time? I don't want to second guess myself or anything, but it feels like a waste to have that time and not use it. Especially since I am getting questions wrong!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 pm

akili wrote:I'm starting at the beginning so PT9 today

RC -1 (hell yes! that's where it's supposed to be)
LR1 -2
LG -3
LR2 -3

Raw 92
Scaled 174

A couple of the LR questions on the second section had me going WTF? I'll go back and review the whole test tonight but overall I felt very good!

A question for yall. I'm a really fast reader and I'm finishing the sections very very early (10+ minutes) What do I do with that time? I don't want to second guess myself or anything, but it feels like a waste to have that time and not use it. Especially since I am getting questions wrong!

Circle the WTF questions and go back to those when you're done with everything. Did you finish the sections that early on the real thing? It's nice to have that time when nerves slow you down on the real thing.

I usually finished LR prettyy early on PT's but on the real thing I didn't have as much time left over (like 3 min instead of 6).

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:00 pm

minnbills wrote:

They reconfigure your GPA according to their standards. Are you a transfer student?

Congrats on the boost!

Yeah. I transferred in some credits from a community college. They counted twice though for LSAC GPA. Once as credits from my primary institution (since they're on the transcript) and once as credits from the transfer institution. I'm not complaining.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Nonok wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Congrats on the boost!

Yeah. I transferred in some credits from a community college. They counted twice though for LSAC GPA. Once as credits from my primary institution (since they're on the transcript) and once as credits from the transfer institution. I'm not complaining.

Nice, I'm a transfer student too. My GPA is going to take a nice hit when I submit my transcripts. I'm currently sitting on a 3.5 but it will fall to a 3.3-3.4 depending on how this year goes. Bummmmer.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:15 pm

Nonok wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Congrats on the boost!

So what your saying is if my community college grades are shitty they are going to be twice as shitty on my lsac gpa?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 pm

fosterp wrote:So what your saying is if my community college grades are shitty they are going to be twice as shitty on my lsac gpa?

I'm not the one who said that but not necessarily? Generally when someone transfers from a community college to a 4-year UG the classes from the CC are counted only as units and not as grades. That's usually how they appear on your UG transcripts too, the classes are on there as a name but with no letter grade attached to them and your UGPA is calculated using ONLY grades from the classes taken at the 4-year. This is one of the reasons so many people on here think that their GPA is going to be so much higher than it really ends up being (because they sucked in CC and then got better grades in UG). So when LSAC calculates your GPA they will use your CC grades and your UG grades but your CC grades won't count twice unless for some weird reason they are on both transcripts.

Ah, that came out way longer than I expected it to but hopefully it makes sense and helps :)

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:09 am

What you said makes sense but it sucks because that is exactly what i didn't want to hear lol...

I had to take some core GE classes that were total BS. Because other students complained about how dumb they were, I figured rather than pay the school extra $$ in terms of tuition cost, I got approval and took the classes at JC and transferred them to my university for credits. Instead of $3000 for a class, I paid $86.

University doesn't care about the grade, so long as you pass, and it counts only as units towards your overall GPA. However, after reading this post, and hearing what someone else from school told me, LSAC requires you send transcripts from every university/JC/CC that you went too so I am going to have to submit the grade i got in my summer school class.

Needless to say, the JC class was over summer, the teacher DGAF if you came, it was really really easy(when I went) but I ended up with a B, rather than an A, because you lose a letter grade if yo have more then 3 absences. Not that ONE 3.0 added to my GPA will hurt, but it doesn't help when I'm above that avg.

the point: even if it is JC or CC, you still have to submit your grades to LSAC which makes an overall cumulative GPA that may differ then what your universities transcript will say. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, somone go answer my question about question 21 on pt45 @ http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129687 THANKS !

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:13 am

lakers3peat wrote:the point: even if it is JC or CC, you still have to submit your grades to LSAC which makes an overall cumulative GPA that may differ then what your universities transcript will say. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right you have to send in all the transcripts. I know it sucks but just be thankful that you didn't fail your whole first semester, retake for straight A's and then have all those F's count in the end (there's like a million stories on here about stuff like that happening to people)

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 am

true but I am already imagining the pain and the agony I am going to have go through to get all my transcripts. I took summer school twice, at different colleges, one being a CSU, one being a JC. So I need those two transcripts + my original transcript from University so I have to track down 3 original transcripts/remember my account name and passwords and then send in checks cuz u cna tpay online n stuff... bahhhhhhhhhhhh sounds like a pain in the arse. good thing I have 1.5 years till I send my applications lolol

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:36 am

lakers3peat wrote:true but I am already imagining the pain and the agony I am going to have go through to get all my transcripts. I took summer school twice, at different colleges, one being a CSU, one being a JC. So I need those two transcripts + my original transcript from University so I have to track down 3 original transcripts/remember my account name and passwords and then send in checks cuz u cna tpay online n stuff... bahhhhhhhhhhhh sounds like a pain in the arse. good thing I have 1.5 years till I send my applications lolol

That sucks but I'm sure you'll figure it out. For my UG (and the CC I took a class at) you could pay online so maybe you'll be able to at yours as well.

Also, GO LAKERS :D

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:53 am

I'm taking a PT on Saturday and Sunday. I have been drilling LGs, but, as always, I'm having issues with In/Out games. I'm working on those tomorrow and Friday; hopefully I can get good at drawing inferences, because, at this point, I would get skewered if an In/Out game was on the December LSAT.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:55 am

atresia wrote:I'm taking a PT on Saturday and Sunday. I have been drilling LGs, but, as always, I'm having issues with In/Out games. I'm working on those tomorrow and Friday; hopefully I can get good at drawing inferences, because, at this point, I would get skewered if an In/Out game was on the December LSAT.

I have trouble with games in general. They just take me way too long :(. In/out games are my favorite though <3

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:00 am

LSpleaseee wrote:In/out games are my favorite though <3

Seriously? I'm terrible at them. I don't know what it is - I'm very good at sequencing and grouping, but when conditional reasoning enters the game, I'm atrocious.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 am

atresia wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:In/out games are my favorite though <3

Seriously? I'm terrible at them. I don't know what it is - I'm very good at sequencing and grouping, but when conditional reasoning enters the game, I'm atrocious.

Yeah I have trouble with sequencing games though. I'm not sure why but it's something about putting everything in order that takes me foreverrr. In/out games don't have that "ordering" aspect so they seem so much easier to me.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:07 am

Lol, its so funny that you say that... I was just about to make a post when: "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

I was going to say........Sequence games are my favorite and in my opinion easiest to do... you draw a chain like A > B > C & D > F > E and bam you have all you need to answer the questions :)

in and out games funk with with your head because you have to consider all these sufficient necessary conditions and where one goes affects the other. when one group fills the other is open etc. etc.

in/out games are easier then complex grouping where you have like 3 groups lol...

but to the person who said they have problem with in/out, I was having problems like this then an instructor/tutor taught me a nice way to take control of the game...

make a T chart like follows

Out vs. In
|
|
|

If you are a told that A & B are selected, then put them onto the "in side"

Out vs. In
|
|
|

after that, go rule by rule 1 2 3 4 5 and see on the sufficient side of conditionals, where A & B being in, does it matter..

above your t chart you can check off the rule as you've applied it

1 check, 2 check, 3 check, 4 check. etc.
Out vs. In
|
|
|

I'm sure this sounds very trivial and novice to you as it did to me when I first saw him do this but then I tried it myself when I was getting frustrated with a game and I realized that it really helps you take control of the game and take control of what's going on that way you dont spend too much time staring at the game saying welll ughhh A is in B is in ugh what does that mean ughhh C is out... ughh but is d out? or does d go in ? ughhhhhhhh then you try to keep it all in your head, get frustrated, and you hit the reset button and your like OK OK OK A is in B is in ughh c is out then its like oh shittttt I am in the same position/train of logic that I was at 1.5 minutes ago and I've done nothing in terms of forward progress at solving this game.

Maybe this just me actually ;)

EDIT: sorry my T chart did not look as cool as it did when I was drawing it in my message. submitting ruined my format. but anyways, I think you get it...

ONE BIG ASS T :lol:

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 am

lakers3peat, that looks like a good technique. I'll definitely give it a try - thanks!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:43 am

3peat: that's pretty much what I for In/Out games and that's what works for me! Sometimes the most important part about the game is the "out" part. I draw hypotheticals for the questions and whenever I put a variable "in" I check what can be "out" too. I feel like this is the ONLY thing in games that I can explain how to do haha...other than these types of games I suck at them :(

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:20 am

Sequencing games are the easiest because they're the most visual. I used to have trouble with sequencing games, but then I learned to stop using the confusing diagrams recommended by Powerscore and use a more simple one.

In & Out games can be confusing at first because there seem to be so many possibilities, but the key is to make sure to keep track of BOTH in and out variables.

I think the hardest games, at least for me, are advanced linear games with a lot of relative rules. You end up having to make up a lot of hypotheticals which can get messy and confusing.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 am

The only games I have problems with are mapping games. They just take a lot of time for me. Thank god they're so rare.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”