DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Dr. Strangelove

Re: DECEMBER 2010 DOMINATION

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm taking a practice LSAT this Friday... :?
I hope I can regain my confidence before December 11..

lparker

Postby lparker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:23 pm

akili wrote:The PT every day thing is starting with the "easier" tests. I'm unemployed so it's pretty much the only thing I have to "fit in" to my day. I don't know if I can keep it up either, but I desperately need to take more PTs and improve my consistency.

I wish I was unemployed. My job stresses me out, and most days I just want to come home, watch tv, and go to bed. It's hard to get inspired to study. I'm a big fan of 5 Hour Energy.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 pm

lparker wrote:
akili wrote:The PT every day thing is starting with the "easier" tests. I'm unemployed so it's pretty much the only thing I have to "fit in" to my day. I don't know if I can keep it up either, but I desperately need to take more PTs and improve my consistency.

I wish I was unemployed. My job stresses me out, and most days I just want to come home, watch tv, and go to bed. It's hard to get inspired to study. I'm a big fan of 5 Hour Energy.

Being unemployed is nice because you have so much time to study. However, being unemployed is NOT nice because you have so much time to study. It's really hard when you can "just do it later". I kind of wish I had some kind of job so I'd feel more pressed for time.

dlbuhr

Postby dlbuhr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:28 pm

keeran23 wrote:So I just retook 2 sections of the October LSAT which I did terrible on.

DRASTIC turnaround (I did not remember anything really except for one key deduction in the racers game in LG). I realize now that maybe my score was because of nerves and lack of endurance. The material almost seemed to make fun of me as the stimuli literally gave me the answers in LR.

I'm feeling much better in my abilities, and now am confident that my score is unrepresentative of my true ability!

+1

This. I went through the logical reasoning from the test yesterday and couldn't believe that I had missed some of the questions. My score really hit me hard, but seeing that the majority of my mistakes were due to reading too fast through the stimulus, a problem easily correctible, restored my confidence. Bring on December!

yezzir

Postby yezzir » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 am

Definitely. Focus and thoroughly absorbing the material at hand is the key.. The logic principles and whatnot really aren't that difficult to grasp. My teacher at Testmasters used to always say "just stay in control of the information." That idea helps me stay in the right mindset when approaching questions.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Took PT 51 today in a coffeeshop (horrible idea in this particular place because they just changed to full service and every section was interrupted by my waitress asking if I was SURE I didn't want something more)

Raw: 83
Scaled: 166

LR1 -3 :)
RC -6 :evil:
LR2 -5 :?
LG -3 :D

I totally bombed one of the games, but somehow did awesome on all the other ones (yay!). My RC definitely suffered from the coffeeshop atmosphere. It was really hard to sustain focus on the passages. Blech. LR2 also suffered. Reviewing my mistakes, most of them were very stupid. I think if I had just maintained my focus I could've broken 170 easy. Frick. Oh well, it's somewhere to start...

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Actually, I think I'm going to do most of my PTs in coffee shops, since I've already done them before, I need to develop a tolerance for distractions/noise. I want to be able to focus 100%, do everything automatic, regardless of whether someone's sniffing the whole time. I expect this would be pretty hard though with an isolated voice, like someone ordering a latte REALLY LOUD or being on the phone. So annoying ...

akili

Postby akili » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:59 pm

aesis wrote:Actually, I think I'm going to do most of my PTs in coffee shops, since I've already done them before, I need to develop a tolerance for distractions/noise. I want to be able to focus 100%, do everything automatic, regardless of whether someone's sniffing the whole time. I expect this would be pretty hard though with an isolated voice, like someone ordering a latte REALLY LOUD or being on the phone. So annoying ...

My problem is more the music! If it's a song I know, it's really hard for me not to sing along in my head and then kind of cuts down on my productiveness... :oops:

Golden Boy

Postby Golden Boy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:16 am

aesis wrote:Actually, I think I'm going to do most of my PTs in coffee shops, since I've already done them before, I need to develop a tolerance for distractions/noise. I want to be able to focus 100%, do everything automatic, regardless of whether someone's sniffing the whole time. I expect this would be pretty hard though with an isolated voice, like someone ordering a latte REALLY LOUD or being on the phone. So annoying ...

I did SuperPrep B in a coffee shop a few weeks ago. Never again!! The noise is too distracting and I can't imagine it being that distracting in the actual exam. The Kaplan prep exam I took was not that distracting, although it was loud when the MCAT practice exam took a break across the hall. It's hard for me to concentrate on RC when there's a lot of noise, and I am learning that every single minute is precious. I think I'm going to stick to the library at my school........

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:25 am

Golden Boy wrote:

I did SuperPrep B in a coffee shop a few weeks ago. Never again!! The noise is too distracting and I can't imagine it being that distracting in the actual exam. The Kaplan prep exam I took was not that distracting, although it was loud when the MCAT practice exam took a break across the hall. It's hard for me to concentrate on RC when there's a lot of noise, and I am learning that every single minute is precious. I think I'm going to stick to the library at my school........

Libraries are usually much more accurate in how loud the test is actually going to be. You will not have coffee machines, blenders, music and loud conversations during your test. It just won't happen! Practicing in that loud of an area will prob just hurt your practice more than itll help.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 am

coffee shops are wayy louder than the test room. I took the october test with over 100 people in a cramped classroom, and i was able to tune out all of the noise, even teh guy that freaked out and split during section 1. The sound level was like a library, at most ( and not near the entranceway either- halfway from the entranceway and the quiet areas).

You want the prep to be accurate of test day. Give yourself 34 minutes ( the proctors may end 30 seconds early) in a similarly loud setting. Use regular pencils, and only give yourself 30 seconds to a minute inbetween sections 1-3,( 15 minute break between 3 and 4) and 4-5( 30 seconds). Be extra strict with the time and bubbling rule. Pretty soon you will be able to pace yourself and know how much time has elapsed without looking at the clock or your analog watch.

Keep your heads up, the worst case senario is a re take in feb or june, having the entire spring and summer to finish your applications ( lors and essays) and sending them in on sept 1 2011. in other words, dont stress or psyche yourselves out

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:10 am

I'm on my way to Florida this afternoon to compete in a mock trial tourney (neeeeeeeerd, I know). The five hour car ride will be perfect for a PT. I'm bringing ear plugs, but hopefully my teammates won't be too ridiculously loud. Even if they are, it's good to practice working through distractions, I guess...

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:I'm on my way to Florida this afternoon to compete in a mock trial tourney (neeeeeeeerd, I know). The five hour car ride will be perfect for a PT. I'm bringing ear plugs, but hopefully my teammates won't be too ridiculously loud. Even if they are, it's good to practice working through distractions, I guess...

I took a LR section yesterday during my ride home home from work (I carpool with one person). He was playing music the whole time and I finished in 31 mins and didn't miss any questions!

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:53 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
lparker wrote:

Being unemployed is nice because you have so much time to study. However, being unemployed is NOT nice because you have so much time to study. It's really hard when you can "just do it later". I kind of wish I had some kind of job so I'd feel more pressed for time.

Being unemployed is also bad because at best it won't help, and it could even hurt in law school applications in my opinion.

lparker

Postby lparker » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:50 am

dcman06 wrote:Being unemployed is also bad because at best it won't help, and it could even hurt in law school applications in my opinion.

Don't take away my dream! :)

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 am

I'm not, but there are people applying to graduate school (including, and prob in particular law) who don't have jobs right now, so that's why I said it.

lparker

Postby lparker » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:02 pm

dcman06 wrote:I'm not, but there are people applying to graduate school (including, and prob in particular law) who don't have jobs right now, so that's why I said it.

You're definitely right, and I don't really want to be unemployed either. I just have to remind myself of that when I wake up at 5:45 every morning and it's still dark when I get to work.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:03 pm

lparker wrote:
dcman06 wrote:I'm not, but there are people applying to graduate school (including, and prob in particular law) who don't have jobs right now, so that's why I said it.

You're definitely right, and I don't really want to be unemployed either. I just have to remind myself of that when I wake up at 5:45 every morning and it's still dark when I get to work.

+1

I was at work from 8:00 am to 9:30 pm yesterday. No studying to be had.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Ginj wrote:
lparker wrote:

+1

I was at work from 8:00 am to 9:30 pm yesterday. No studying to be had.

Was that a normal day at the office? That would be probably close to my worst day of all time at work, hours wise.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:56 pm

I can't let myself get too overconfident again.

I took a PT today.
LG (-0)
LR 1 (-6)
LR 2 (-0) !?!?!
RC (-2)

I got a 165 on the actual exam last June..

I took the practice test under 'proctored conditions' (my cell phone alarm, rather than an actual proctor, informed me when I had 5 minutes left etc...) and everything like that.. it was just within the comfort of my dorm's study room rather than a random testing room.

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:09 pm

You have to say WHICH PT!

Nice curve tho! GJ.

Golden Boy

Postby Golden Boy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I can't let myself get too overconfident again.

I took a PT today.
LG (-0)
LR 1 (-6)
LR 2 (-0) !?!?!
RC (-2)

I got a 165 on the actual exam last June..

I took the practice test under 'proctored conditions' (my cell phone alarm, rather than an actual proctor, informed me when I had 5 minutes left etc...) and everything like that.. it was just within the comfort of my dorm's study room rather than a random testing room.

Wow,
175 PT, you should be good to go by Dec. 11!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 pm

Officially registered for Dec 11th. Putting my ID in a lockbox so I don't lose it this time right before the test.

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Officially registered for Dec 11th. Putting my ID in a lockbox so I don't lose it this time right before the test.

Welcome to the club! :) 170+ this time, okay?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 pm

aesis wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:Officially registered for Dec 11th. Putting my ID in a lockbox so I don't lose it this time right before the test.

Welcome to the club! :) 170+ this time, okay?

.... don't tell me you're in the "realized my ID was gone less than 12 hours before the test and managed to get it over 600 miles away" club? I'm still trying to figure out what i really would have scored on the LSAT if I didn't go through that before.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”