with 2 months left, how do you combat lazyness?

paulshortys10

with 2 months left, how do you combat lazyness?

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I haven't studied in 3 days. I haven't taken a full exam in weeks. I keep sleeping really late and waking up late and being lazy the whole day. I keep putting off studying for the next day. I have a good plan on how to study and where and such, i just havent done it, and keep waiting for the next day. I know how much this means to me, i want to go to UCLA,USC,Cornell, or Gtown, so i know i need this LSAT score to be high. It would make me proud, my mom proud, everyone proud. I know I need this, I know I need to practice, but i just get lazy and don't....

Give me some words of encouragement LSAT forum..please!

3|ink

Re: with 2 months left, how do you combat lazyness?

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:59 pm

The people who score highest on the LSAT are those who want it most.

Set a schedule and stick to it. If you slack off now, it's only going to make you feel worse after you've taken the test. Do you really want to have to retake the LSAT? Don't put yourself through that. Get it out of the way. Don't let the fear of getting a bad PT score keep you from studying. If you let that get to you now, there will be no helping you come December.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 am

paulshortys10 wrote:I haven't studied in 3 days. I haven't taken a full exam in weeks. I keep sleeping really late and waking up late and being lazy the whole day. I keep putting off studying for the next day. I have a good plan on how to study and where and such, i just havent done it, and keep waiting for the next day. I know how much this means to me, i want to go to UCLA,USC,Cornell, or Gtown, so i know i need this LSAT score to be high. It would make me proud, my mom proud, everyone proud. I know I need this, I know I need to practice, but i just get lazy and don't....

Give me some words of encouragement LSAT forum..please!

Someone said some quote... I don't really remember how it goes exactly but it was something like "If we did everything we put off for tomorrow... We'd all be successful"

But my quote is: "Get off of your ass and study because if you don't you're just going to be a loser or get into a shitty law school. Go into debt paying for that law school..... Then not even get hired... .Then end up working the register at Walmart."

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:01 am

I slacked off before June, went in overconfident and ended up bombing the games section. I walked away with a 158.

In short, don't be like me or you'll probably regret it.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 am

1) Try to find ways to make your happiness contingent upon your performance.

For example, use beer/cigarettes as a motivating factor.

Don't engage in these activities unless you've taken a practice test. And certainly don't take a practice test unless you've thoroughly reviewed all of your previous tests.

2) Set small goals that will motivate you to achieve larger ones.

When I started prepping, I couldn't do logic games to save my life. I hated them. But the first time I finished an entire game without missing a question I felt great. It gave me the energy to keep prepping until I could finish an entire section without missing a question (which felt even better). That trend made me want to improve my performance on reading comprehension. After all, if I could master those stupid logic games, I could certainly decipher a few boring reading passages. It's a cycle...

3) Never approach test prep as one big, monolothic undertaking or you'll never start. Break it up into bite-size pieces that are easy to digest. Eventually, you'll get hooked.

Eh, that's about all I got. You might wanna get that laziness in check though. It's my understanding that it is very hard to excel in law school if motivation is lacking.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:31 am

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:38 am

The LSAT is a prime example of getting what you put into it.

The first thing it sounds like you need to acquire is self-discipline. It doesn't even appear that you're shunning the PTs in favor of doing fun stuff. You're just doing nothing, which is a habit that, if it's bad now, will most likely kill you once you get to school. You want UCLA and GTown? Earn it. That shit won't just fall into your lap.

When I studied there were 2 main things that helped me continue my preparation.

1. First and foremost is the marked improvement I started to see with my tests after diligent study. I simply wanted to keep getting better, and because I saw my scores going up, it was easier to put in the time. Furthermore, once you start grasping the concepts, it's just fun to beat the shit out of the test.

2. There was an element of pride to it also. I hated the fact that I got wrong answers, I wasn't content with "only missing a few questions." My mindset was, this can be learned and I will learn it. There's satisfaction in getting a good result to your hard work. By that same token, there's disappointment when you get a score that you know isn't indicative of your abilities.

tl;dr: Just picture yourself opening your email three weeks after your test and getting a crappy score that will lock you out of your dream schools. After you ponder that, sit the fuck down and study. You want to combat laziness, do it by not being lazy. It's not like you don't have a choice. This test could be the difference between a rejection and an acceptance, or an acceptance and a full-ride.

Edited for grammar.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:52 am

This is what drives me, maybe it'll help you as well. Listen, the world is full of people who "want" to achieve great things. Everybody "wants" to be a lawyer, "wants" to dominate the LSAT. Those that actually "do" so, "DO" it. If you want that great score to make your family proud, go get it--snatch it--because it will NOT come to you. Every time I feel lazy I just think to myself how miserable I will feel if I'm working a job that I don't want to because I didn't study hard enough in my past. Saying "what if" to myself someday is honestly my WORST nightmare. Being 40 years old and thinking "what if" I studied harder makes me cringe each and every time. Don't be the one who's saying "what if" in the future; be the person who says "I'm so glad I did." Stop talking about what you want to do, it's time to BE about it. It's showtime. I hope this helps. Best of luck. Cheers.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:52 am

Live every day with a purpose or get a shitty job. After doing the latter you'll realize how much you'd rather work hard now so you don't have to work hard for someone else later.

You might just need something to kick start you. For me in college and such it was reading Dreams of my Father. Read the part of the book when Obama goes to Columbia starts reading voraciously to catch up on his class mates after slacking and underachieving for years. Basically described my life til that point.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

Must be nice to get into Columbia after slacking off for your entire life.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:26 am

Shooter wrote:Must be nice to get into Columbia after slacking off for your entire life.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 am

On a somewhat related note, does anyone have tips about how to breakthrough the dreaded plateau? I can't seem to get above a 172 and it's really bumming me out. I saw my score gradually increase over time , but now that I seem to have topped out, it's kind of demoralizing to sit down to a test. I know I have issues to work out, primarily with timing on the games; I just don't know how to make my brain think faster!

LogicGamez

Postby LogicGamez » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:36 am

Have sex/jerk off if and only when you have just completed a preptest. You'll have your 170 in no time.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 am

Shooter wrote:Must be nice to get into Columbia after slacking off for your entire life.

This must mean NYU is for the really bad students.

media2law

Postby media2law » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:39 pm

[quote=" Being 40 years old and thinking "what if" I studied harder makes me cringe each and every time. Don't be the one who's saying "what if" in the future; be the person who says "I'm so glad I did." Stop talking about what you want to do, it's time to BE about it. It's showtime. I hope this helps. Best of luck. Cheers.[/quote]

Yeah, really. I have eight months until the June LSAT and I have broken down the Bibles into small pieces of 6-10 pages a day. I'll be finished with them by the time we ring in 2011. I have put off taking this exam for so long. I had to get real with myself. Regret is a horrible thing at 40 and worse at 60. Funny thing: in the four weeks since I started seriously prepping, the material is clicking like never before. Another thing that helped? I stopped talking to people about wanting to go to law school. I work full-time and prep at lunch, after work and use the weekends to go over material to keep everything fresh. OP: the motivation has to come from within.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Not all of us are Kenyan Manchurian candidates.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:37 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:On a somewhat related note, does anyone have tips about how to breakthrough the dreaded plateau? I can't seem to get above a 172 and it's really bumming me out. I saw my score gradually increase over time , but now that I seem to have topped out, it's kind of demoralizing to sit down to a test. I know I have issues to work out, primarily with timing on the games; I just don't know how to make my brain think faster!

That was my exact problem. I could get the answers right, it was just taking me too long. Most of the time I wouldnt even get a chance to look at the last game.

Some Kaplan instructor at a free Kaplan test advised me after the test to practice "5 minute emergencies". Sit down with a stack of games and practice trying to complete them in 5 minutes or less. That way, you force forced to make time-saving deductions much faster.

I started off only having a maximum of 2-3 minutes for the last game, if that much. During the real test, I had 6+ minutes left. It made a HUGE difference.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:37 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:

This is stupid on so many levels.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:10 pm

I don't know, I was naturally motivated to study the LSAT from the begining. Maybe you need to get on an activating antidepressant like Welbutrin. That shit will get you concentrating like nothing else.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:05 am

3|ink wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:

Only if you lack the sarcasm gene.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:42 am

ajmanyjah wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:

Sarcasm should at least make sense.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:00 am

Need I explain this to you?

Got into Columbia easily with no effort plus conspiracy about being a Kenyan prince put into power in the US to diffuse the US's power =what?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:04 am

ajmanyjah wrote:Need I explain this to you?

Got into Columbia easily with no effort plus conspiracy about being a Kenyan prince put into power in the US to diffuse the US's power =what?

Of course. We know exactly what his credentials were applying for UG. I forgot that they were public record.

Now do you see how sarcasm should look?

blink

Postby blink » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:31 am

Last edited by blink on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:51 am

ajmanyjah wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:

‎"I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic? Canadians have a hard time recognizing it because we don't have a large Jewish population."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”