problem remembering LR questions...

lakers3peat

problem remembering LR questions...

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:27 pm

The title may be a little deceiving but I want the opinion of people here regarding practice tests where you have already seen a select amount of the questions...

Context: I took a prep class and in their lessons, they implement a variety of different questions from certain categories from every lsat from 91-2005(something like that) then they have available online for practice preptests from 06-2010... My problem though is that I didn't find doing the individual questions very helpful. Sure it was decent practice but my biggest problem was the test taking environment, 25 questions in 35 minutes etc. So I wanted to practice on individual practice tests only in preparation for December. However, i keep finding that I remember a question or two or five and OCCASIONALLY, I even remember what the answer is. Particularly for questions I found difficult, I remember what the answer is because I was A) frustrated at the time that I got it wrong, not knowing why I got it wrong or B) because I got it right and I remember getting it right. Any suggestions what to do or what have you all done in the past? The only practice tests I have left to do cold would be june 2010 and octoboer 2010; i want to know my unbiased results before I take it december =\

typ3

Re: problem remembering LR questions...

Postby typ3 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:14 pm

When you run across a question you have seen before don't just mark the right answer.

Go through every answer choice and find the reason as to why those are wrong.

Even if you know the right answer, you should go through the process.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:03 pm

I agree with you but only to a certain degree. When taking a section in 35 minutes, it seems counter-intuitive, in a sense, to decipher exactly why every answer choice is wrong when you know why the right answer is right... I can burn 2-3 minutes per question doing this and that will just slow me down when speed is something I am trying to build up. When I review over the section, I tend to do this but not during the actual pro ess.

What I guess I am most concerned with is measuring progress and or seeing how close I am to achieving my goal. Prior to Oct 9th, I tested between 158-162 on all 8 practice tests I took. I was getting games down pretty solid, although I get betwen 1-3 wrong based on sloppiness or rushing to get done. However, RC and LR(mainly LR) were killing me. I could never get above 17-18 correct; again, usually because I couldn't get to all them and I'd miss easily answerable questions towards the end of the section. This is what I am trying to work on but now, when I know the right answer to 1-4 questions for the section, I can answer every question with a comfortable amount of time and I get -2 or -3 which I don't think is entirely indicative of how I am doing.

I am just worried that the October 2010 and June 2010 practice tests won't suffice in giving me an accurate measurement of how well I am doing.

I am hoping that I will get lucky in some of the later tests and not remember anything to get positive vibes after it but as of right now I have done up to PT 15 and too many questions are familiar.

Thank you for your comment.

Perch

Postby Perch » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:20 am

lakers3peat wrote:I agree with you but only to a certain degree. When taking a section in 35 minutes, it seems counter-intuitive, in a sense, to decipher exactly why every answer choice is wrong when you know why the right answer is right... I can burn 2-3 minutes per question doing this and that will just slow me down when speed is something I am trying to build up. When I review over the section, I tend to do this but not during the actual pro ess.

my one thought on that, coming from someone who has taken it three times, is that if you recognize the question AND answer then just select the answer without thinking it through much, you're saving up extra time that you really shouldn't have for the other questions in the 35 minute section. same goes for a section with an unscored question...if I saw that I tried to get through the section in 33.5 minutes. just my two cents.

nbhatia

Postby nbhatia » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:33 am

I agree with you but only to a certain degree. When taking a section in 35 minutes, it seems counter-intuitive, in a sense, to decipher exactly why every answer choice is wrong when you know why the right answer is right... I can burn 2-3 minutes per question doing this and that will just slow me down when speed is something I am trying to build up. When I review over the section, I tend to do this but not during the actual pro ess.

You are forgetting the purpose of taking practice tests. Lots of people can do a LR section with 5 questions that they have seen before, and finish on time. But how does that help you on the real exam? The time you finish in going through a section (which youve seen a few hard questions already and might know the answer) will be irrelevant. There are not going to be questions you have seen before on test day. What I used to do was circle the answer i knew right away, and take off a minute from the alloted 35 minutes.
ex. 3 questions i had seen before and knew the answer, and 1 question that i saw before that i didnt know the answer to: I just tried to force myself to finish it in 32 minutes.

You are preparing to achieve your highest on the real thing, not your pt.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”