Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby postn0bills » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:55 pm

I am thinking about canceling October-- I have been so back and forth on it all week. I got two hours of sleep total the night before, thinking was extremely foggy and ended up having to blindly guess on half (ugh) of the last LG section (this has never happened to me before). Anyone have any advice? Anyone else out there who might be in the same situation as me with their only chance/score being in December of this year? If so, how are you planning on NOT being stressed about that? Blah :?

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby bartleby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:06 pm

It depends if you have an entire year to spare. I would let it ride. You might miss out on a huge curve. Putting everything on the line for December sounds stressful also. GL.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:15 pm

postn0bills wrote:I am thinking about canceling October-- I have been so back and forth on it all week. I got two hours of sleep total the night before, thinking was extremely foggy and ended up having to blindly guess on half (ugh) of the last LG section (this has never happened to me before). Anyone have any advice? Anyone else out there who might be in the same situation as me with their only chance/score being in December of this year? If so, how are you planning on NOT being stressed about that? Blah :?

To minimize the stress just remember that you have 3 opportunities to take the LSAT and while it is very important to do well in December, you still have one more shot it June to retake. I know you're probably hell-bent on applying this cycle and attending next Fall but looking at law school from the perspective of a life long career choice, waiting one year to put yourself in a better situation is not that long of a delay.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby kkklick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:33 pm

I'd ride it out, if I had a nickel for everytime someone said they bombed and thought about cancelling and end up getting a rediculous score, I'd have about $1.45.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Taking a year off is always an option unless.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby KevinP » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm

I've already taken the LSAT twice, once of those times being this October. I canceled this October and now December is my last shot.

But... no pressure right?

User avatar
pppokerface
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby pppokerface » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 pm

How do you feel you did on the rest?

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby postn0bills » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Thank you all for your responses so far... it's really helpful to get feedback on this.

pppokerface - That's the thing... thanks to two hours of sleep, the rest was a blur. I remember guessing on half of LG but I don't remember much about the rest of the test. I think LRs were on point with the amount I usually have to guess on, etc. although I do recall some more challenging questions than usual. RC, had to guess on last passage. All in all, not my best test. I'd been PTing in low to mid 160s. I'm worried because I want to supply an addendum for my GPA (3.26).. I was one of twenty students per year accepted into the competitive undergrad program I was in which had an emphasis on the material rather than the grades (hence, Bs across the board and a lower GPA). So I'm worried about having to supply an addendum for a lower LSAT score too... I don't want to look like I'm making bullshit excuses for everything. I know what I'm capable of and I want to get there.

This is so nerve-wracking.

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby postn0bills » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:57 pm

KevinP wrote:I've already taken the LSAT twice, once of those times being this October. I canceled this October and now December is my last shot.

But... no pressure right?


How did you do the first time?

User avatar
lakers3peat
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:10 pm

if you no show in December, even though you signed up does that still limit you to taking the LSAT 3 times?


so say you cancel October, no show December, take it in February, then take again in June.. is that ok or does that count as 4 times?


if you have a year to spare man, i don't think it really matters--cancel or not. i am sort of in the same position as you. I plan to take it in december but then plan on applying till next cycle. say I bomb it in december, I can always opt for february or june and still have plenty of time to get my isht straight before applying. I agree with teh poster above who said that law school going to be a decision for the rest of your life... taking an extra year off to give yourself the best shot at the best school is probably the best idea. besides, you can always find a job or internship at a law school and or take that time to relax or "find yourself(lolz)".

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby postn0bills » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 pm

lakers3peat wrote:if you no show in December, even though you signed up does that still limit you to taking the LSAT 3 times?


so say you cancel October, no show December, take it in February, then take again in June.. is that ok or does that count as 4 times?


if you have a year to spare man, i don't think it really matters--cancel or not. i am sort of in the same position as you. I plan to take it in december but then plan on applying till next cycle. say I bomb it in december, I can always opt for february or june and still have plenty of time to get my isht straight before applying. I agree with teh poster above who said that law school going to be a decision for the rest of your life... taking an extra year off to give yourself the best shot at the best school is probably the best idea. besides, you can always find a job or internship at a law school and or take that time to relax or "find yourself(lolz)".


Yes, you're right. At the end of the day it's better to wait an extra year and start off on the right foot than settle. I've actually been out of undergrad for four years now, working at a law firm... I'm just eager to get this law school ball rolling!

I think no-shows (absences) don't count towards the three test limit, but I'm not sure about this. Are you canceling October?

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Looks like we're pretty much in the same boat, post. Took it in June for a 158, then started studying my ass off for October. Was PT'ing in the mid-160s but bombed the LG section, canceled, and now December is my last chance at this.

Honestly, I would cancel if you haven't already. Guessing on half of that games section probably puts your ceiling around 160 when you take into account misses on the rest of the test. That's exactly what happened to me in June. If you think you can do better (and by studying your tail off between now and December, you may do even better than you could have even imagined), then a two month wait is worth the increase. Just DON'T slack off and use that time wisely to prepare.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby KevinP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 am

postn0bills wrote:
KevinP wrote:I've already taken the LSAT twice, once of those times being this October. I canceled this October and now December is my last shot.

But... no pressure right?


How did you do the first time?


First score was in the low 160s. I didn't prep much at all because I took a couple of very old PTs and scored in the 170s and thought that I was set... was completely thrown off by the differences in newer tests. Afterwards, I found TLS which helped me prepare adequately.

Maybe canceling the Oct. test is a blessing in disguise because it forces me to start studying now instead of studying after I get my Oct. score back.

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby postn0bills » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:07 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Looks like we're pretty much in the same boat, post. Took it in June for a 158, then started studying my ass off for October. Was PT'ing in the mid-160s but bombed the LG section, canceled, and now December is my last chance at this.

Honestly, I would cancel if you haven't already. Guessing on half of that games section probably puts your ceiling around 160 when you take into account misses on the rest of the test. That's exactly what happened to me in June. If you think you can do better (and by studying your tail off between now and December, you may do even better than you could have even imagined), then a two month wait is worth the increase. Just DON'T slack off and use that time wisely to prepare.



That is unless my crazy anxiety gets in the way and I focus too much on December being my only chance! What made you decide to keep your June score? I'm just worried because then I don't have a score in the bank at all. At least you've got something!

I'm giving myself ten more minutes to decide whether or not to cancel.. then faxing the shiz over and starting to study tonight.

Pastels
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby Pastels » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Do not cancel

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Anyone cancel October and December is the only chance?

Postby postn0bills » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Pastels wrote:Do not cancel


Too late. Damn, if only I had gotten your post ten minutes ago.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, cherrygalore, grandpapy360, Instrumental, MSNbot Media and 6 guests