I am a special snowflake, should I cancel?

snappysnapper

I am a special snowflake, should I cancel?

Postby snappysnapper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks for reading this, I know there's a lot of similar topics cropping up in the aftermath of the October LSAT, but I keep changing my mind so often I'd really appreciate an objective view on my situation. Let me start by offering gratuitous amounts of background info.

I took the September 2009 LSAT, and got a 170, which isn't bad by any means, but a couple of points lower than what I was getting on my practice tests. Since I didn't feel like I was at my peak performance for my first time around, I retook it last Saturday. Well, I pretty much found one of the LR sections killer. I had to guess on two questions because I ran out of time and felt unsure on a bunch of my other answers for that section. The other LR was fine, as was the RC. I finished the LG on time, but am afraid that I made some stupid mistakes because I rushed through the first three games, and made a bunch of last minute changes to my answers for the last game when I realized I was forgetting to apply one of the rules. Since a lot of people are predicting a harsh curve for this test because of the manageable games and easyish RC, I'm terrified of scoring lower than my first time around.

I'm thinking that maybe I should cancel just to be safe to be safe and apply with my 170, but am worried if this would look bad (especially since I signed up for the Feb 2010 LSAT and postponed til June, then postponed again to October). I kind of want to keep my score just because of the work that went into preparing for it, which I could have been using to submit my apps sooner in the cycle. Also the prospect of never knowing how it would have turned out just nags me. I felt okay coming out of the test, and am just doubting myself more and more as time goes on.

I have a high GPA and what should be pretty strong letters of rec, but it would be nice to have a chance at Columbia or even Hahvahd though I'm perfectly aware its a longshot. With one and a half days left to cancel....should I? Thanks for reading my Novel of Whine, I'd love to get any advice. :)

spets

Re: I am a special snowflake, should I cancel?

Postby spets » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:10 pm

As I understand it, schools can't see that you postponed, so you won't have to worry about that. If you felt alright coming out of the test, I think you should definitely take that into account, since the norm is to feel absolutely horrible. TLS has the inevitable effect of promulgating self-doubt, so factor that in as well.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Harsh curve?

-11 atleast, that I am
sure of.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Pastels wrote:Harsh curve?

-11 atleast, that I am
sure of.

You're sure? Miss Cleo?

--ImageRemoved--

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:22 pm

It sounds like you're just experiencing the common self doubt that goes with waiting on a score for 3 weeks. Unless you're absolutely sure you didn't hit 170, I wouldn't cancel.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:23 pm

I would wager quite a bit on it.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Pastels wrote:I would wager quite a bit on it.

Then you probably have a gambling problem.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Pastels wrote:Harsh curve?

-11 atleast, that I am
sure of.

I agree, when I came back from the test I thought a -10 would be generous, but after seeing how many of the top test takers screwed up questions here and there, I have a feeling a -11 curve is more realistic. No way I see a -9, and highly doubt -10.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:54 pm

I suggest someone who thinks it will be less than -11 makes a bet with pastels. Loser get's "iced". Not because it is cool to "ice" a "bro" but because it is amusing to me in a wannabee hipster ironic way.

L0's Icing L0's.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:I suggest someone who thinks it will be less than -11 makes a bet with pastels. Loser get's "iced". Not because it is cool to "ice" a "bro" but because it is amusing to me in a wannabee hipster ironic way.

L0's Icing L0's.

Wait, it's not cool to ice a bro?

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Depends?

1) Do you live in a frat house or are you under 22? If the answer to those is no, continue to the next question. If yes, Hell yeah its cool! Check out Katy Perry's new song. She's got a rockin rack!

2) Do you live in Brooklyn, Seattle, or any other hipster mecha? If the answer is yes, continue to 3a. if no continue to 3b. If you are unsure, does Donnie Darko make total sense on first viewing? If yes, you are a liar and go to 3a.

3a) Sure its cool, but only because its insanely uncool. Ironically its awesome "bro"! Hah! now lets go down to that Bukowski read-in, but take off that Ironic pro Dick Cheney t-shirt. I get that its ironic, but that doesn't give you an excuse to be an asshole!

3b) Do you give a shit what the prevailing "cool" is? If so go to 4a. If, instead, you like things because you think they are funny or other wise enjoyable go to 4b?

4a) no dude, Icing a "bro" is so last year and, frankly, is a complete waste of calories.

4b) Do you enjoy watching a buddy of yours on one knee drinking a sickeningly sweet alcoholic beverage that they probably don't actually hate but have to pretend to hate in order to not get called "a gay"? Of course you do, because its funny!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”