HELP!!! Cancel October 2010 test?!?!?

estchun

HELP!!! Cancel October 2010 test?!?!?

Postby estchun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:50 am

I've been agonizing over this and am still totally confused.
Should I cancel the sore or wait to see how I did and have multiple scores?

Just took the October LSAT and I'm not sure what to do.

I was ranging between 174 and 178 the week leading upto the actual test. The first 3 sections felt solid, smooth. Then, after the break, I got the Games and, for some reason, I made a mistake, and then totally panicked. I'm not sure how badly I messed up. I know I got at least 2 questions wrong on the Games section. Maybe more. I barely finished the games section on time. The section after that is kind of a blur. I think I did ok. Don't remember feeling like it was hard, but it was definitely difficult to concentrate. I did finish the last section on time and had time to look over a couple of questions.

Should I risk it and see how I did? Right now, if I'm lucky, and I only choked on a few of those Games question and did well on the rest, I could still score above 175, but I could also get 170 or so, which would be unacceptable.

I've been out of school for over 10 years and have been a stay home mom, so I really need this score to be solid and unquestionable on any front. I'm aiming for Boalt, and their website seems to discourage multiple scores. Is that true?

I do think I can do well if I took it again in December, but the problem there is that I've used up all the recent official preptests, so I'd have nothing recent to practice with.

I probably sound like a basket case, but I've been wrecking my brain for the last few days and still feel totally confused.

Any thoughts? Please....
Last edited by estchun on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55

Re: HELP!!! Cancel October 2010 test or retake in December?

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 am

estchun wrote:I've been agonizing over this and am still totally confused.

Just took the October LSAT and I'm not sure what to do.

I was ranging between 174 and 178 the week leading upto the actual test. The first 3 sections felt solid, smooth. Then, after the break, I got the Games and, for some reason, I made a mistake, and then totally panicked. I'm not sure how badly I messed up. I know I got at least 2 questions wrong on the Games section. Maybe more. I barely finished the games section on time. The section after that is kind of a blur. I think I did ok. Don't remember feeling like it was hard, but it was definitely difficult to concentrate. I did finish the last section on time and had time to look over a couple of questions.

Should I risk it and see how I did? Right now, if I'm lucky, and I only choked on a few of those Games question and did well on the rest, I could still score above 175, but I could also get 170 or so, which would be unacceptable.

I've been out of school for almost 10 years and have been a stay home mom, so I really need this score to be solid and unquestionable on any front.

I do think I can do well if I took it again in December, but the problem there is that I've used up all the recent official preptests, so I'd have nothing recent to practice with.

I probably sound like a basket case, but I've been wrecking my brain for the last few days and still feel totally confused.

Any thoughts? Please....

i think u did fine in the blur section. that's a common reaction to stress. when you're in the heat of the moment and have to think, you don't really have great long term memory of what your thought process was.

if you were prepping 174+, and know you messed up a FULL game, cancel. if it was only 2 questions, i wouldn't. a 172 and a retake at 174 is not too much worse than a 174 and a cancel. it might even be better (cancel's gotta be worth more than 1 point, which would be the average.)

also, if you wind up bombing december or getting stressed out, u still have the 172 to fall back on, which ain't too shabby.

estchun

Re: HELP!!! Cancel October 2010 test?!?!?

Postby estchun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:58 am

thanks for the quick reply.
so you think a cancel might actually be worse than two scores?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:00 am

estchun wrote:thanks for the quick reply.
so you think a cancel might actually be worse than two scores?

depends on the variance.

if its just 2 questions, id keep.

what schools? if iur a stay at home mom, ur range is limited...

plus the 10 yrs out of school will help u out in the cycle. it's a slight plus.

estchun

Postby estchun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:07 am

The range is definitely an issue. I think I'm probably limited to the schools in California. My big point of insecurity is that I've been at home, literally, as a full time mom.
Haven't done anything professionally or academically until now. It is what it is, and I'm at peace with that, but it does put additional pressure on my LSAT score, and Berkeley doesn't seem to favor multiple score. On their website, it actually says that the LSAT should only be taken once and that they consider all the scores. boo.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:09 am

estchun wrote:The range is definitely an issue. I think I'm probably limited to the schools in California. My big point of insecurity is that I've been at home, literally, as a full time mom.
Haven't done anything professionally or academically until now. It is what it is, and I'm at peace with that, but it does put additional pressure on my LSAT score, and Berkeley doesn't seem to favor multiple score. On their website, it actually says that the LSAT should only be taken once and that they consider all the scores. boo.

if you are a nervous person, it's in your nature, even if you're confident in your intellect and talents to self doubt yourself in a situation where you cannot know the result. it's typical to panic, and think you bombed when in reality barring a major meltdown, you would hit your standard performance.

california is big. if stanford, maybe cancel.

if any other school, low 170s will suffice.
Last edited by justadude55 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:09 am

Boalt hates the LSAT. They might reject you for getting too high of a score.

estchun

Postby estchun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:16 am

Thanks for your thoughtful replies, justadude~

Spoken like an LSAT pro...
I'm definitely on the more nervous side of the spectrum.

THIS IS SO HARD!!!

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:19 am

estchun wrote:Thanks for your thoughtful replies, justadude~

Spoken like an LSAT pro...
I'm definitely on the more nervous side of the spectrum.

THIS IS SO HARD!!!

well i know ur a mom, but u gotta man up and make a rational call.

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:24 am

What's your GPA? Why do you think Boalt will only take you with a 175?

pppokerface

Postby pppokerface » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 am

Don't cancel, seriously-at the worst you retake. Sounds like you did well in the other sections and felt quite good about the other games. Even if its in the low 170s, that gives you a good shot. You could be throwing away a good score. Just keep it just in case and improve from there if you have to. People retake here all the time of all ages and situations and they still get in.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:28 pm

pppokerface wrote:Don't cancel, seriously-at the worst you retake. Sounds like you did well in the other sections and felt quite good about the other games. Even if its in the low 170s, that gives you a good shot. You could be throwing away a good score. Just keep it just in case and improve from there if you have to. People retake here all the time of all ages and situations and they still get in.

+1 if you're not going to stanford, in cali, nobody is gonna care enough if you bomb and retake and get that score to do anything but favor you based on your lsat performance (pending that 174)

i'm normally risk averse, but the positive of not having to worry about the LSAT greatly outweighs the negative of having a lousy score on your app when applying to schools that take the highest score.

estchun

Postby estchun » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:40 pm

I JUST decided to wait it out, literally a minute ago.

A special thx to justadude and others that posted replies. i really appreciate you taking the time to think through it for me.

We'll see how this plays out.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:59 pm

You did the right thing. I could be wrong, but it seems like for most schools anything over 172 is just splitting hairs. 170 puts you in an elite group. Be proud of yourself for getting there. I think you will do OK. I mean, we are talking about a difference of the 97th percentile and the 99th percentile. Once you get up to that level, it means that you are pretty smart and/or a very hard worker. Plus, you are a mom. Its not easy to get a 170 with kids in the picture. I give you respect for that, and I think most adcomms will too.

Hell, it could be worse, you could have a 158 on your reccord like me. I knew I bombed it but I decided not to cancel, and I don't regret it. I learned from my mistakes and retook. I'm pretty sure I hit 170 on the october 12th test, and that will be good enough for me. There is no shame in getting a score you are not happy with, and working harder to retake and get a better score. It shows persistence.

Take the October score like a woman and decide whether to retake based on that. It will give you confidence knowing where you stand, as opposed to canceling and fretting over what you might have gotten.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”