3|ink

Re: 3link's Study Spreadsheet

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 pm

typ3 wrote:One bug, I can't get the days left until the test to update according to the date. However, I don't know if this is because I converted the file to excel 2010. I can get it to count up, but not down according to the date.

That particular cell has a relatively easy formula and shouldn't be affected at all by running different versions of excel. The 'Days Remaining Cell' simply subtracts the 'LSAT Date' from today's date stored in your computer. In other words, the only cell that affects 'Days Remaining' is 'LSAT Start Date'. Changing 'Study Start Date' shouldn't have any affect. Besides, no matter when you start studying, you're still going to have the same number of days between today and the LSAT.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Awesome spreadsheet, dude.

Thank you.

Nightrunner wrote:NOTE TO TEST PREPPERS: make sure you also track "types" of questions you get wrong, and look for patterns.

For example, I noticed I kept picking the second-best answer in "most weakens," so I practiced on those questions especially to improve.

Sound advice. I wish I could have included question types on this thing, but that'd require access to every single released test, and I only have about 90% of them. Moreover, I was afraid I might accidentially describe question types in a way that would infringe upon another prep company's copyrights.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Thank you.

Nightrunner wrote:NOTE TO TEST PREPPERS: make sure you also track "types" of questions you get wrong, and look for patterns.

For example, I noticed I kept picking the second-best answer in "most weakens," so I practiced on those questions especially to improve.

Sound advice. I wish I could have included question types on this thing, but that'd require access to every single released test, and I only have about 90% of them. Moreover, I was afraid I might accidentially describe question types in a way that would infringe upon another prep company's copyrights.

I'm no copyright attorney, but if you used them for your own practice purposes, released no "how-to" guides, and didn't make a dime off of sharing your spreadsheet...I'd have a lot of trouble imagining you've misused any intellectual property.

Neither here nor there: this is an AWESOME spreadsheet. Just throwing a note in for people to help them prep.

I suppose that's true. Maybe I could incorporate a function like that into a future version, but that's a huge project. I'm going to wait until I'm accepted to a school before I consider working on this again.

Nightrunner wrote:Neither here nor there: this is an AWESOME spreadsheet. Just throwing a note in for people to help them prep.

Thanks again :)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:58 pm

3|ink wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Thank you.

I'm no copyright attorney, but if you used them for your own practice purposes, released no "how-to" guides, and didn't make a dime off of sharing your spreadsheet...I'd have a lot of trouble imagining you've misused any intellectual property.

Neither here nor there: this is an AWESOME spreadsheet. Just throwing a note in for people to help them prep.

I suppose that's true. Maybe I could incorporate a function like that into a future version, but that's a huge project. I'm going to wait until I'm accepted to a school before I consider working on this again.

Nightrunner wrote:Neither here nor there: this is an AWESOME spreadsheet. Just throwing a note in for people to help them prep.

Thanks again :)

Perhaps you should add a poll to get this stickied.

Mods, get on this ;)

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Regarding the sticky, you really should ask what it would take for this to be sticky material. As of right now there are no free progress trackers stickied. I wish there had been when I started studying.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Good call; thread stickied.

Wow. That was unexpected. Thank you :) I am honored.

By the way, I thought of a great addition to the spreadsheet that would allow people to track their progress on particular question types as you mentioned earlier. I'm going to add a sheet called 'Tracking'. On this sheet, people will be able to log the types of questions they missed on each section of each test. The spreadsheet will not store a log of each question on each LSAT by category. Rather, I'll leave categorization up to the user.

It's really hard to explain, so I'll just do it. I should be able to release a beta version of 'Tracking' tomorrow if all goes well.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:31 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:Regarding the sticky, you really should ask what it would take for this to be sticky material. As of right now there are no free progress trackers stickied. I wish there had been when I started studying.

I sent Ken a PM earlier this evening with a link to the thread and reasons why it should be stickied. I assume he was the one who did it. However, this spread sheet is far above any of the other tracking journals out there.

Edit: Nevermind Nightrunner stickied it, I guess Ken is still an enigma.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:37 pm

That's pretty nice actually. Not only is it useful in its own way, but also that's the sort of thing that could motivate one to study harder.

Good job, Blink.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Ragged wrote:That's pretty nice actually. Not only is it useful in its own way, but also that's the sort of thing that could motivate one to study harder.

Good job, Blink.

Thank you. I felt that my spreadsheet did encourage me to keep working in the infancy of my study period.

Out of curiosity, how many here would feel uncomfortable if I were to put macros in the spreadsheet? I originally designed this spreadsheet to steer clear of macros:

1.) Some people use macros to create viruses (I wouldn't do that but how could you know?)

2.) Macros tend to be demanding on your CPU

I'm working on a new sheet ('Tracking') that requires a lot of space. I think the sheet would be far more user friendly if I included some macrso that allowed users to users to hide certain rows pertaining to one PT while working on rows for another PT. It's hard to describe, but the macro would basically make every PT field easier to access.

I think I'll make the sheet so it is up to the user to decide. If you decide to enable macros, your life will be much easier. Otherwise, you'll still be able to use this new sheet, but you'll have to work a little harder to move between fields pertaining to each PT.

Let me know how you all would feel about enabling macros for this page exclusively.

Thanks,

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:53 pm

3|ink wrote:
Ragged wrote:That's pretty nice actually. Not only is it useful in its own way, but also that's the sort of thing that could motivate one to study harder.

Good job, Blink.

Thank you. I felt that my spreadsheet did encourage me to keep working in the infancy of my study period.

Out of curiosity, how many here would feel uncomfortable if I were to put macros in the spreadsheet? I originally designed this spreadsheet to steer clear of macros:

1.) Some people use macros to create viruses (I wouldn't do that but how could you know?)

2.) Macros tend to be demanding on your CPU

I'm working on a new sheet ('Tracking') that requires a lot of space. I think the sheet would be far more user friendly if I included some macrso that allowed users to users to hide certain rows pertaining to one PT while working on rows for another PT. It's hard to describe, but the macro would basically make every PT field easier to access.

I think I'll make the sheet so it is up to the user to decide. If you decide to enable macros, your life will be much easier. Otherwise, you'll still be able to use this new sheet, but you'll have to work a little harder to move between fields pertaining to each PT.

Let me know how you all would feel about enabling macros for this page exclusively.

Thanks,

Enable macros. I personally hate data entry.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Here's a preview of the tracking feature I'm working on. I should be finished by next week. The hard part is over. Now I just need to make it look pretty.

The tracking feature allows users to record specific question types they are missing on sections and tests. The user is able to write in his own words the types of questions that are bothering him. When the user is recording his results, he/she merely needs to select the appropriate date in the dropdown box...

...and then hit the 'Tracking Button' to its left. Then, 6 rows of cells will drop beneath the row containing that date. In those rows of cells, the user will be able to specify the types of questions missed on each specific test.

That data will be compiled and fed to a graph so the user can monitor his/her rate of accuracy among these question types.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow this is super intense! I wish I'd used it for my LSAT studying.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:17 am

Nightrunner wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Thank you.

I can totally see there being an RC passage on this in the future.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:37 am

eit wrote:I can totally see there being an RC passage on this in the future.

God help whoever takes that test.

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:07 pm

If only I would have had this while I prepped...

If I have to retake at least I know where to go :)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Check out the new version uploaded today (main post). I've made some significant improvements.

Flett

Postby Flett » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:26 pm

2014 wrote:If only I would have had this while I prepped...

If I have to retake at least I know where to go :)

Agreed. :( :lol:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 pm

I like the change to black for the trends page. It is easier to look at :)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 pm

3.2 Update Notes:

-Got rid of a few glitches in the design
-Fixed the conditional formatting for the date column on the schedule page

There still may be a few kinks to work out. There was a lot of typing involved with creating this spreadsheet, so it's bound to have a few bumps here and there. Please post here or PM me if you find any bugs and I'll fix them promptly.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:28 pm

I have some ideas for a big upgrade, but I promised myself I wouldn't touch this again until after I got into law school. I need to focus on my PS and applications.

Upgrade Specs:
-Buttons on each row of the schedule sheet that allow you to clear the contents of that row
-Solution to the brief lag spike experienced after retracting 'tracking' mode in 'Schedule'
-Eleven more question types added to the tracking function - I originally designed tracking to help people track question types they know they have problems with. The thought occurred to me that people probably don't know what question types they have problems with until they take a number of tests and sections, and the best way to spot those problem question types is by monitoring the rate ALL of them are missed. Therefore, 'tracking' will now permit you to track close to every question type you might miss (up to 20 types per LR, RC and LG). By recording all of this data and observing the trends, you should be able to spot your problem question types 'no problem'.
-Separate graphs for LR, LG and RC tracking - This should get rid of the 'validation' error that you see when switching between RC, LG and LR.
-Option to view question types separately on the graphs.
-Extending the limit from 4 months to 6 months

I'll get to work as soon as I get into law school (assuming I get in). Expect the upgrade in early December (just in time for the February crew).

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm

Big upgrade today folks. Be sure to check it out.

shmegory

Postby shmegory » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for this amazing spreadsheet!

I am having an issue with the update I downloaded today. Every 6th and 13th day from the start date only gives me the option to take a practice test in the Main Assignment column.. There are no "rest" or "miscellaneous" choices in the drop down menu. Also, for those same days, if I assign a PT in 'Experimental' or 'Assignment 3' columns, there are no choices for the corresponding sections. I have tried manipulating the dates and the same thing happens.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:52 pm

shmegory wrote:Thanks for this amazing spreadsheet!

I am having an issue with the update I downloaded today. Every 6th and 13th day from the start date only gives me the option to take a practice test in the Main Assignment column.. There are no "rest" or "miscellaneous" choices in the drop down menu. Also, for those same days, if I assign a PT in 'Experimental' or 'Assignment 3' columns, there are no choices for the corresponding sections. I have tried manipulating the dates and the same thing happens.

Thanks for pointing this out. This was definitely an oversight on my part and I apologize for the inconvenience.

I found the issue with the 'Task' columns of 6 and 13, but I couldn't find any problem with the experimental and assignment 3 columns. Let me know if that persists.

Anyway, I fixed the error with the task columns and uploaded the fixed version of the spreadsheet to my gmail account. The link on the front of the thread is now to the fixed version.

Since you have probably already entered data onto your spreadsheet, let me tell you how to fix this so you don't have to start from scratch. Click on any cell in the 'Task' column besides the cells corresponding with days 6 and 13. Hit Ctrl + C (copy). Now click on the 'Task' cells corresponding with day 6 and hit Ctrl + V (paste). Rinse and repeat for cell 13. That should fix the problem. If it does not, let me know. There's one other thing you might try if your problems with the Exp. and Assign 3 columns persist. Select the 'Test' and 'Section' (both at once) cells under Exp and Assignment 3 for any other days than 6 and 13. Copy and paste both of those cells on top of the corresponding cells for 6 and 13 just like in the task column. If that doesn't work, it's even more serious than I thought.

epark84

Postby epark84 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22 am

hey 3link, the spreadsheet looks great but i only have excel 2002 on my laptop. do you plan to release a version for older excel users?

shmegory

Postby shmegory » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 am

3|ink wrote:
Thanks for pointing this out. This was definitely an oversight on my part and I apologize for the inconvenience.

I found the issue with the 'Task' columns of 6 and 13, but I couldn't find any problem with the experimental and assignment 3 columns. Let me know if that persists.

Anyway, I fixed the error with the task columns and uploaded the fixed version of the spreadsheet to my gmail account. The link on the front of the thread is now to the fixed version.

Since you have probably already entered data onto your spreadsheet, let me tell you how to fix this so you don't have to start from scratch. Click on any cell in the 'Task' column besides the cells corresponding with days 6 and 13. Hit Ctrl + C (copy). Now click on the 'Task' cells corresponding with day 6 and hit Ctrl + V (paste). Rinse and repeat for cell 13. That should fix the problem. If it does not, let me know. There's one other thing you might try if your problems with the Exp. and Assign 3 columns persist. Select the 'Test' and 'Section' (both at once) cells under Exp and Assignment 3 for any other days than 6 and 13. Copy and paste both of those cells on top of the corresponding cells for 6 and 13 just like in the task column. If that doesn't work, it's even more serious than I thought.

Thank you! I will just use the fixed version since i only added data up to the 6th day and it's no problem starting over. Have a good one!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”