October 2010 TLS Reaction vs Other Tests & Takers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sle1026

New

October 2010 TLS Reaction vs Other Tests & Takers

Post by sle1026 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 am

Hello, I am new to this site and I was wondering what the typical post test day reactions are like? From what I have read on the site, it seems most of the posters are above way average in scores (congrats!) personally I score 156-160 on practice tests. I know thats not as high as a lot of the posters, but it still slightly above average. I was wondering how does the site compare to more 'average' takers? I didn't find the test to be insane or a piece of cake. Does TLS typically over or underestimate the curve? I know there is a lot of talk about this seeming easier then December or June but since those days you have had more practice, so are you saying it was easier to do (possibly because of more practice) or the types of questions given were easier? Lastly I know this has been asked already but the answer is unclear, was this test date predicted/ did it have more test takers then last year? If so, would you guess these people test average aka hopefully helping me out a little :)

Sorry if all of this can be answered else where if so please link me, I just wanted to ask about my specific range because 1 point makes a big difference in for my percentile (I know its important to those in 170's but you are still rockin a 95+ percentile)! Thanks again.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Re: October 2010 TLS Reaction vs Other Tests & Takers

Post by Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 pm

TLSers come in many shapes and sizes. The only thing that seems to unify most of us is that we've been told throughout our lives that we are a unique and special butterflies and so we tend to be arrogant and kind of douchy.

That said, to answer specifics, some people way under predict and some way over. The truth seems to be in the middle. And the truth also is that no one has a clue. A sample of a couple hundred people doesn't come close to the 50k people who actually took the test.

Cromartie

Bronze

Post by Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:TLSers come in many shapes and sizes. The only thing that seems to unify most of us is that we've been told throughout our lives that we are a unique and special butterflies and so we tend to be arrogant and kind of douchy.

That said, to answer specifics, some people way under predict and some way over. The truth seems to be in the middle. And the truth also is that no one has a clue. A sample of a couple hundred people doesn't come close to the 50k people who actually took the test.
At my test center yesterday, people were genuinely shocked when I told them I was retaking a 167 and I turned down UCLA last cycle. Several also didn't know how the curve is set (one guy thought it would be set based on the performance of the 15 people taking the test there - how I wish!), hadn't heard about Powerscore and Prep Tests and indicated they'd be happy just to get into schools like Chapman and the like.

The interesting thing is, 1 year ago when I first took the LSAT and before I had the (mis?)fortune of happening across TLS, I was in exactly the same position and had exactly the same perspective. I'm still not sure whether my life changed for the better when I went from a guy who was uber ecstatic upon learning that he had placed among the top 5 percentile of all test takers to someone who thinks that anything less than a 175 is a disaster.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:49 pm

The standard, by the way, is a 174, not 175.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:53 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The standard, by the way, is a 174, not 175.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:15 pm

TLSers come in many shapes and sizes. The only thing that seems to unify most of us is that we've been told throughout our lives that we are a unique and special butterflies and so we tend to be arrogant and kind of douchy.
Cromartie wrote: At my test center yesterday, people were genuinely shocked when I told them I was retaking a 167 and I turned down UCLA last cycle. Several also didn't know how the curve is set (one guy thought it would be set based on the performance of the 15 people taking the test there - how I wish!), hadn't heard about Powerscore and Prep Tests and indicated they'd be happy just to get into schools like Chapman and the like.

The interesting thing is, 1 year ago when I first took the LSAT and before I had the (mis?)fortune of happening across TLS, I was in exactly the same position and had exactly the same perspective. I'm still not sure whether my life changed for the better when I went from a guy who was uber ecstatic upon learning that he had placed among the top 5 percentile of all test takers to someone who thinks that anything less than a 175 is a disaster.
Bonjour Mme Butterfly

Cromartie

Bronze

Post by Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:40 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
Cromartie wrote: At my test center yesterday, people were genuinely shocked when I told them I was retaking a 167 and I turned down UCLA last cycle. Several also didn't know how the curve is set (one guy thought it would be set based on the performance of the 15 people taking the test there - how I wish!), hadn't heard about Powerscore and Prep Tests and indicated they'd be happy just to get into schools like Chapman and the like.

Bonjour Mme Butterfly
I get what you're trying to say, but I can't see how you got there. Having said that, I do have some douche in me, maybe more than I'd care to admit... But let's face it, you'd have to be an a-hole to a certain extent to succeed in this profession, else your a-hole peers will make mincemeat out of you and you won't get very far.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:46 pm

That goes for any profession. I can speak for both the arts and the natural sciences from experience

Cromartie

Bronze

Post by Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:09 pm

incompetentia wrote:That goes for any profession. I can speak for both the arts and the natural sciences from experience
Yeah, but I think it gets magnified in the legal profession. Same goes for consulting, Big 4 Accounting, and basically any service industry were the model is a limited-tiered pyramid and the prevailing culture is move up or move out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:21 pm

The benefit of this site, for myself as well, has been a "wake-up call" sort of thing. I got a 163 on my first diagnostic and thought I was hot shit. I've usually run circles on my peers in argumentation, and felt pretty good about where I stood in the world. But then you realize that there are thousands of people just as good and even better than you at this stuff, and they are called TLS'ers.

This board tends to attract most types, but only keep those who have a tough skin and self-opinion not predicated on the opinions of others.

What is interesting is this is all combined with still caring what other people think of us, often to a fault. We are just confident enough in ourselves that we think others should think highly of us. This is where the arrogant/douchy thing comes.

So get used to some people being helpful and others being sarcastic assholes who can only get their kicks by rubbing your face in something you are wrong about. That's all I meant to say.

Cromartie

Bronze

Post by Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:The benefit of this site, for myself as well, has been a "wake-up call" sort of thing. I got a 163 on my first diagnostic and thought I was hot shit. I've usually run circles on my peers in argumentation, and felt pretty good about where I stood in the world. But then you realize that there are thousands of people just as good and even better than you at this stuff, and they are called TLS'ers.

This board tends to attract most types, but only keep those who have a tough skin and self-opinion not predicated on the opinions of others.

What is interesting is this is all combined with still caring what other people think of us, often to a fault. We are just confident enough in ourselves that we think others should think highly of us. This is where the arrogant/douchy thing comes.

So get used to some people being helpful and others being sarcastic assholes who can only get their kicks by rubbing your face in something you are wrong about. That's all I meant to say.
In case I'm interpreting this correctly, I just want to clarify that I was responding to JC, who quoted your post, then quoted my post, in an apparent attempt to connect the two so as to lead to the conclusion that I am one of those douchey butterflies. I will admit to being a douche, but I will never ever admit to being a butterfly (or snowflake, for that matter). :D

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:The benefit of this site, for myself as well, has been a "wake-up call" sort of thing. I got a 163 on my first diagnostic and thought I was hot shit. I've usually run circles on my peers in argumentation, and felt pretty good about where I stood in the world. But then you realize that there are thousands of people just as good and even better than you at this stuff, and they are called TLS'ers.

Sounds like my personal statement. And I thought I was being original! ...

sle1026

New

Post by sle1026 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:

thanks! I think you are right, no one has a clue and its not like I can do anything now!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”